Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were cleaning and organizing the basement and Scout happened to find a racquetball to play with. He *loves* this ball and had a great time with it, however, we think it is too small (2.25" in diameter) and that he could choke on it. I've been looking for a similar ball with a larger diameter...say around 3" or so. He has some tennis balls and I have a couple Kong balls for him (one is smooth with hole for treats and actually quite hard, the other smaller and more chewy, but not smooth) and while he thinks these are okay, they do not hold a candle to the chewiness and bounciness of the racquetball.

I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions of balls for him?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
We use racquet balls and Gunner has a big mouth.. he has never choked etc with them. Both he and Sasha love them and tennis balls. Those two types are their favorites!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got Scout a large (3") Chuck-It ball and he loves it! Actually, Scout *did* choke on a racquetball, but gagging made him throw up and the ball came out...thank goodness! I like the larger ball because it doesn't fit under the couch. Scout *loved* to shove the racquetball under the couch and then "retrieve" it. It was loads of fun for him, but absolutely NOT fun for us or for the couch since about half the time it ended up where he couldn't reach it. LOL!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I second anything rubber made by Planet Dog. Planet dog is here in Maine.

Reactions: Jamm

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got Scout a large (3") Chuck-It ball and he loves it! Actually, Scout *did* choke on a racquetball, but gagging made him throw up and the ball came out...thank goodness! I like the larger ball because it doesn't fit under the couch. Scout *loved* to shove the racquetball under the couch and then "retrieve" it. It was loads of fun for him, but absolutely NOT fun for us or for the couch since about half the time it ended up where he couldn't reach it. LOL!
That sounds familiar, Charlie does the same thing. That's why all his tennis balls are outside. I got him the large Kong tennis ball but he just ripped the cover off and I didn't want him eating the glue, so it went back to Petsmart.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I third planet dog. I love that store!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
We were cleaning and organizing the basement and Scout happened to find a racquetball to play with. He *loves* this ball and had a great time with it, however, we think it is too small (2.25" in diameter) and that he could choke on it. I've been looking for a similar ball with a larger diameter...say around 3" or so. He has some tennis balls and I have a couple Kong balls for him (one is smooth with hole for treats and actually quite hard, the other smaller and more chewy, but not smooth) and while he thinks these are okay, they do not hold a candle to the chewiness and bounciness of the racquetball.

I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions of balls for him?

I like the CHUCK IT orange rubber balls. They are easy to see- bounce like crazy for making throwing fun... and are easy on the teeth - not abrasive like regular tennis balls.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got Charlie a Planet Dog ball the other day, he loves it. Got the big one so he couldn't push it under anything. He picks it up, drops it, and chases it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

I am definitely going to have to check out the Planet Dog balls too...they sound great! And I always prefer to buy Made in USA. I'm always happy to find a new company from the US that I can support.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since everyone seems to enjoy them- I might have to check out the Planet Dog balls also! I bought Sawyer one of the Kong rubber balls, but it's a little too large for him. He prefers balls that he can hold in his mouth and chomp (but not destroy)!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I recently bought Lola an interactive toy ball called a "BabbleBall" It is hard- not meant for throwing or chewing.... I got the large one. It makes noises- I chose the animal sound one. I put it into an old sock and she carries it around and or swings it about while it "babbles" She has fun with it. Just something a little different.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I like the CHUCK IT orange rubber balls. They are easy to see- bounce like crazy for making throwing fun... and are easy on the teeth - not abrasive like regular tennis balls.
I wasn't aware they had "rubber" chuck it balls. All our chuck its are just like tennis balls but orange.

·
Mr. Fancy Pants and Roo
1,102 Posts
For Easter my parents sent up a package for us, with a toy for Dex. It's this awesome tough rubber toy that bounces all over the place, Dex loves it.

I think it's from the JW Pet company and it looks like this:

Highly recommend it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts