Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tucker needs a new crate that is suitable for home and travel. We're going to fly to NH in few weeks so I need something for the plane. Hes between 65 and 70 lbs. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just got a very nice wire crate off craigs list. It isn't the hard shell travel kind but the lady also had one of them for sale. Don't know where you are from. This is NE Ohio area. I don't plan on going any flying with our dogs so I just got the wire one.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I have flown many times with Misty from CA to GA..you need a travel crate..not the wire only one and it has to be the correct size. Tucker needs to be able to stand up, sit and lay down with room. You also have to have two attachable dishes. I got Misty's at Petsmart. You should check with the airline that you are flying on because there are rules as far as shots and what records and health certificates you need to have with you. I flew Delta mostly.

·
8,164 Posts
oh....and I got Misty the Large size.. shes around 64lbs

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I don't have any recommendations for a crate Tuck. Heck, my puppy was just born yesterday. But do travel safe and Welcome to New Hampshire when you get here. I hope you and Tucker have a wonderful time here in the granite state. Today it is snowing, so come prepared for all kinds of weather.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I'd go with Vari Kennel. Get one that has screws to attach top/bottom vs. plastic "thingies" that pop in place.

For most adult Goldens, a size 400 will do. It's roughly 36" long.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Also check the airlines about whether they'll fly them in really cold weather. I know some (all?) don't fly if the temp is too hot.

·
8,164 Posts
I agree with Stephanie..make sure to get the one that screws the top and bottom together. Some airlines are very strict...United was more strict than Delta.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
The crate I have for Jamie is by Bargain Hound. I got it from my sister who got a rescue corgi shipped by air from Ohio in it. It was too large for her house because she has 4 other corgis!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great, thanks all. I looked at a few today... I just don't know whether or not to go with a 36" or 40". He's 8 months old and I assume he will grow a bit more which means the 36" will be to small down the road, but the 40" seems like a lot more to deal with...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts