Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have been having a heck of a time trying to find a reputable breeder. I am trying to stay under $3,000. I am looking for a breeder who follows all the GRCA ethics including the 4 health clearances of hips, elbows, eyes, and heart. I am looking for a companion, not a show dog, but I want to make sure I increase my chances of having a happy, healthy puppy. I think I want a breeder who has their puppies in their home so they are well socialized to house life. I know breeding can be expensive, and that having a puppy can be expensive. I am prepared for the costs of a puppy but I am hoping to stay closer to the $2,000 range so I can have more money for additional things for my puppy. Is this possible, or is it unrealistic to find a reputable breeder on the East Coast for under $3,000? I would appreciate any help pointing me towards a good breeder and any other advice or helpful comments!
Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Price has nothing to do with reputable or not... it seems to me that oftentimes the disreputable are priced WAY over the ethical breeder, I guess it's in an effort to appear high-end.
If you can post more, like where you live and what plans you have for puppy/dog, that'd be useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Price has nothing to do with reputable or not... it seems to me that oftentimes the disreputable are priced WAY over the ethical breeder, I guess it's in an effort to appear high-end.
If you can post more, like where you live and what plans you have for puppy/dog, that'd be useful.
I live in Northern Virginia area. As far as my plans go, I am looking for a companion dog to be a member of my family. I know goldens need a lot of exercise and I have the time and energy to provide that, but I am looking for a golden that leans to the calmer side. Ideally id have a dog who loves to be with me all the time, if thats sitting on the couch watching a movie, or going for a jog.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,281 Posts
You can contact your area GR Club for a breeder/puppy referral.

There used to be several members that had Eldorado Goldens, if you do a search threads will come up you can read thorugh. This breeder is in VA, not sure how close to where you are located.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello!
I have been having a heck of a time trying to find a reputable breeder. I am trying to stay under $3,000. I am looking for a breeder who follows all the GRCA ethics including the 4 health clearances of hips, elbows, eyes, and heart.
I can't speak for all of the breeders who are members of the Tarheel GRC (North Carolina) as each sets their own price but am aware of many who change < $3000. All of the breeders on our breeder referral list (Tarheel Golden Retriever Club) agree to follow the GRCA code of ethics and while you probably won't find any pups available now, know of several who are planning Summer/Fall litters. Good luck in your search

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello!
I have been having a heck of a time trying to find a reputable breeder. I am trying to stay under $3,000. I am looking for a breeder who follows all the GRCA ethics including the 4 health clearances of hips, elbows, eyes, and heart. I am looking for a companion, not a show dog, but I want to make sure I increase my chances of having a happy, healthy puppy.
I am not an expert on goldens. Having recently purchased a female golden (now 6 months old), I am busily verifying my "not an expert" status. So, my advice is "strictly consumer".

"You get what you pay for" is a fallacy.
Most often, you don't. More-often-than-not, this is a salesperson trying to justify their high price by inferring that price-equates-to-quality. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It may be more accurate to rephrase this as "you rarely get what you don't pay for". But, if you do your homework (and, it sounds like you are), then you have a decent chance of getting what you are shopping for...provided you're willing to pay the going price.

There's a "market price". Anything higher or lower should be a reason to do extra digging for "a cause".
This cuts both ways. Irrespective of locale, there should be a fairly well-defined range for what you are looking for. And, be sure that you're comparing apples-to-apples, not apples-to-pears (more on that below).
"Higher"
- At a basic level, we're typically talking supply-vs-demand. If a specific breeder is well-known for the quality of their dogs, and demand for their dogs is high, then they may decide to charge more. The hard part is that others, seeing their prices, may just decide they should also charge more, although the quality of their breeding is lower. My guess (see "not an expert" above) is that what distinguishes that high-quality breeder is the selectivity they exercise in selecting the parents. Beyond the OFA certs, my guess is that this will include an assessment for other hereditary conditions, checks for/against excessive in-breeding, etc. While performance in show competitions was not a priority for us, I'm guessin' that this may also raise prices, based on "demonstrated conformance".
"Lower"
- This would concern me more than "higher", assuming that I'd been able to establish a "market range" for my locale. Unless you're getting a "between friends" deal, something should account for "the deal". Frankly, my experience is that "deals", unless there's a good, known reason for them, often "are not". If the breeder can tell you why a particular puppy is being discounted, or why they charge less for their litters than others, and it sounds reasonable to you, then it may be worth checking into. So, if you find a breeder that's charging less-than-market, be sure that you're buying an "apple" (i.e., good OFA certs, etc.), and not a "pear" (i.e., AKC registered, spotty/missing OFA certs, gaps in OFA certs in lineage, etc.).

As far as my plans go, I am looking for a companion dog to be a member of my family. I know goldens need a lot of exercise and I have the time and energy to provide that, but I am looking for a golden that leans to the calmer side. Ideally id have a dog who loves to be with me all the time, if thats sitting on the couch watching a movie, or going for a jog.
We also wanted "a companion dog". A breeder who I talked with, but didn't have any puppies at the time, explained a concept that I thought was rather important. If a person is "just looking for a companion dog", then a well-bred puppy becomes even-more-important. The last thing a "companion dog owner" wants is to have to deal with health issues, or even the early loss of their companion. A well-bred puppy lessens (note, not "eliminates") the chances of these issues.
I tend to look at purchases in terms of "increments of cost". If "the lowest price" you can find is $2K, and the "going price" is $3K, the increment-of-cost is $1K. Spread over 10+ years, that's less than $100/year. What are you gaining, or giving up, for that $100/year. As long as you're able to make an informed decision, then go for it...either way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone who has replied! I have contacted my local golden retriever club but they are unable to provide a list of their members (which I understand). I am going to be looking into Eldorado, somehow despite all my searches for Virginia breeders she hasn't popped up before! I have also looked through Tarheel Golden club and will working on sending some emails out today. I definitely understand the logic in getting a well-bred puppy for a companion dog and that is exactly what I am hoping for. The way you explained everything was very helpful! I am not sure if I can be comfortable with spending $3,000 at this time and still might want to keep it to $2500 if at all possible, I guess the next question I have would be for breeders from Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, the Carolina's and possibly New Jersey and New York how do I figure out what the "market price" is? Again thank you so much to everyone whose commented! I appreciate the help so much!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think the GRCA breeders know what the "market price" is and they are pretty good at establishing that.
When I was looking for Maggie, the 3 breeders that I reached out to were all within $200 of each other on price.
Jules

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve been actively looking since March/April from Maine to Virginia. Contacted 30 reputable breeders, no luck. All range from $2500-3,000. There is 0 availability until winter at least. I’m so defeated with this search, the amount of emails, time, and energy I’ve put into this is a little ridiculous. Good luck, hopefully you have better luck than I do.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the GRCA breeders know what the "market price" is and they are pretty good at establishing that.
When I was looking for Maggie, the 3 breeders that I reached out to were all within $200 of each other on price.
Jules
I'll "pile on" and add that the only breeder that was significantly lower than our local market (about $3K to $3.5K in SoCal)...
  • Had no OFA certs on her personnal dogs (the ones she was breeding)
  • Tried to tell me this was "not a concern" because the sires/dams for her dogs had the certs (hmmm...so it was important when you were the buyer, but not when you are the seller?)
  • Was asking $2K for her puppies
  • Seemed a bit put off when I asked about OFA certifications, and followed that up with "your gonna pay a lot more if that's what you want". I did, and I did. And, I'd do it again.
  • The puppy she showed us was pathetic. A part of me wanted to "rescue" her. A bigger part of me wanted nothing to do with her, nor to encourage her business model. (Sadly, she had 24+ puppies, and all had deposits except for 3. I hope the new owners took on pet insurance).

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Thank you to everyone who has replied! I have contacted my local golden retriever club but they are unable to provide a list of their members (which I understand). I am going to be looking into Eldorado, somehow despite all my searches for Virginia breeders she hasn't popped up before! I have also looked through Tarheel Golden club and will working on sending some emails out today. I definitely understand the logic in getting a well-bred puppy for a companion dog and that is exactly what I am hoping for. The way you explained everything was very helpful! I am not sure if I can be comfortable with spending $3,000 at this time and still might want to keep it to $2500 if at all possible, I guess the next question I have would be for breeders from Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, the Carolina's and possibly New Jersey and New York how do I figure out what the "market price" is? Again thank you so much to everyone whose commented! I appreciate the help so much!
I'm in South Carolina and have a six month old golden I bought in Ocala, Florida. I paid $2,800 and he's worth a bazillion times more. Do your research. There are knowledgeable people here who can guide you along the way. Save money as you wait because there will be a wait. We bought Logan right before this virus situation started. I feel lucky. If a Golden Retriever is a few hundred more than you want to spend, it will be beyond worth it if you are dealing with a knowledgeable and reputable breeder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Golden lovers, I just joined the forum and I am glad to see an active community.
Can't find a dog! I can empathize with you Stemma. Ok, we are being picky with our choices, but still...

My family of four in Maryland approached shelters last summer, but postponed adoption to this summer. Who knew?

Shelters are maxed out. Good for dogs! Tiring to the volunteers. Terrible for those wanting to open their home to one.

It's like you're a guy on Tinder and suddenly there are five times more men on it! Big time inflation!

Exhausted trying to win the race to be the first one to apply after a shelter dog is listed. Most shelters start the race with each dog! Turns out we suck at this game. It doesn't help we live in a dense DC suburb.

Two weeks ago I gave up on shelters and turned to breeders. Learned a lot about what good breeders do, health issues in different breeds and health clearances. Now I much prefer getting one from a breeder.

My family wants a puppy/very young dog which makes it harder. There are strong breed preferences. A Golden could be a compromise avoiding an outright civil war. Ok, joking, but there could be some hurt feelings with any other breed till the new furry friend wins hearts.

I tried AKC marketplace, GRCC and just google searches close and far. Many GRCC don't have current info on litters, don't have a list to be added to. Local one doesn't even have a member list, though they sent good info on Goldens.

The system is overheated and everybody seems exhausted/exasperated. Some faraway ones won't consider us, which I kind of understand. May be I don't, please ask me gain later. :--)

So, we still search for a Golden puppy or a young lad/gal. I have become more savvy about checking out dog's pedigree and health and sniffing out questionable breeders.

I don't have a point to this post, but I just wanted to say hello and share my story. Glad you all are here.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I do realize how hard it can be to wait. I waited over 3 years for a rare breed only to realize a Golden was what I really wanted.
Jules
Woah; get out?! Really, Jules? I have to ask: what rare breed? How did you change your mind to wanting a golden?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hello!
I have been having a heck of a time trying to find a reputable breeder. I am trying to stay under $3,000. I am looking for a breeder who follows all the GRCA ethics including the 4 health clearances of hips, elbows, eyes, and heart. I am looking for a companion, not a show dog, but I want to make sure I increase my chances of having a happy, healthy puppy. I think I want a breeder who has their puppies in their home so they are well socialized to house life. I know breeding can be expensive, and that having a puppy can be expensive. I am prepared for the costs of a puppy but I am hoping to stay closer to the $2,000 range so I can have more money for additional things for my puppy. Is this possible, or is it unrealistic to find a reputable breeder on the East Coast for under $3,000? I would appreciate any help pointing me towards a good breeder and any other advice or helpful comments!
Thank you for your time.
hi! Welcome to the forum :) This place is chock full of good advice and knowledgeable breeders. Use the search function here to look for East coast breeders, and if you find a possible pairing, post the dam and sire here to get feedback on them before plunking down a deposit on a puppy.

I'm on the West coast,so I can't help with an East coast rec (actually, my dog came from just outside of Toronto, but not sure you want to go that far).

I just wanted to mention that you'll need lots of patience; breeders have been inundated with requests for puppies, and reputable breeders aren't going to give just anyone one of their dogs. It takes time to end up with one of these wonderful dogs, but it's worth the wait. I don't mean to sound trite, or condescending; I know how hard the wait is. My wait was about 20 months from initial email to gotcha day. But our boy turns 19 months today, and he was worth the wait 💗 :)

Good luck with your search(es)!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi! Welcome to the forum :) This place is chock full of good advice and knowledgeable breeders. Use the search function here to look for East coast breeders, and if you find a possible pairing, post the dam and sire here to get feedback on them before plunking down a deposit on a puppy.

I'm on the West coast,so I can't help with an East coast rec (actually, my dog came from just outside of Toronto, but not sure you want to go that far).

I just wanted to mention that you'll need lots of patience; breeders have been inundated with requests for puppies, and reputable breeders aren't going to give just anyone one of their dogs. It takes time to end up with one of these wonderful dogs, but it's worth the wait. I don't mean to sound trite, or condescending; I know how hard the wait is. My wait was about 20 months from initial email to gotcha day. But our boy turns 19 months today, and he was worth the wait 💗 :)

Thank you. Spot on about patience. I've been telling my kids. A Golden would teach a thing or two about patience to my kids right. May be not. LOL To anybody reading this - Need a Golden - Will Travel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I am finding this forum incredibly helpful! There is so much information here that I would never had thought of. I am trying to find every resource I can because I truly believe this will be worth the investment. Toronto seems a bit far, but not completely off the list of possibilities! I am in no rush for a puppy, I want to make sure I have done all the research and am confident with my breeder selection. I was hoping to have my new puppy sometime within the next year, but for the right dog I could wait 20+ months, plus it seems I may be pushing my original budget so it'll be extra time to save up money.

Thank you again for everyone who has offered help, I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stemma - If you are like me and willing to go anywhere to get the best of the best, I have two solid recommendations for a new puppy!!! They are top notch and you would not be disappointed. The first is in Florida - Prism Goldens. She is on this site. Not sure when a litter will be ready. If she doesn't have one coming up, then I would direct you to Golden Retrievers of Camelot House in North Carolina. We got our pup there last year and he is absolutely AMAZING and the breeder knows what she is doing to make sure you get a healthy guy/gal. We are still in touch with her, Sheila, every week. Prism Goldens referred us to her (Shelia) as she had a guy available at the time we were looking. I know Golden Retrievers of Camelot House should of just had a litter or is about to.

Our guy is so perfect and we are always getting compliments on his looks and temperament. At just 9 months old, he is already doing fantastic in training as a therapy dog. We decided, because he is so calm, lovable, smart and has such a great personality, that we would like to take him into the hospitals one day to bring joy to the sick children. A trainer has been working with us to see if she thinks he would qualify and she is absolutely amazed at how smart he is and how fast he picks up on things. She said he is perfect for this type of training. We have never had one issue with him physically or otherwise and are so grateful for the people on this site that helped us to find him.

The most reputable two breeders that I have dealt with. I wish you the best of luck!!! Reach out to Robin at Prism Goldens or Shelia at Golden Retrievers of Camelot House - two breeders that know their stuff and will not steer you wrong.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I've had 4 Goldens over my adult life, 3 from 3 months old. Number two... Angus, I wanted a peppy puppy. I picked the most active of the litter. He turned into the most laid-back of them all. All were well bred and well trained. By me. Consistent.

But each animal is different. I'm pretty safe to say you can't exactly predict or control that X factor. Maybe if that's your #1 priority you might seek an adult dog. But I certainly hear what you're saying.

KK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts