Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here. I'm looking for a golden puppy in the New England area for my family. I've already contacted the local golden retriever clubs but haven't really gotten any feedback from any of them. Please contact me if you have any leads!

Thank you in advance and really appreciate all of the advice that everyone posts on the site!

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There is lots of great information here, so settle in and take a look around. New England has a lot of great breeders, but we also have our fair share of poor ones as well. I encourage you to check out the links below so you can begin to learn what are red flags for less than reputable breeders. To manage your expectations… going rate for a well bred golden puppy in New England is generally on the $2500-$3500 range, with a few breeders pushing up toward $4000. However, bad breeders charge the same or more as good breeders, so don’t use price to gauge good/bad breeders. A better gauge is whether the breeder is following the GRCA Code of Ethics (which I’ll link below). Learning how to verify clearances in the OFA database is a bit of a learning curve, but forum members are always willing to check clearances for you and tell you what we see. We just need the AKC registration numbers or names for the parent dogs. We can also sometimes check outa website for you and let you know if we see red flags. Also… demand for well-bred puppies far exceeds supply. Most breeders have a waitlist that extends 6 months to a year+, and many get more inquiries than they have time to reply to. Patience and persistence are your friends. Anyway, start with these links and let us know if you have more questions!

Looking For Breeder Advice [New England] (see especially post #13 in this thread)
Home - The Canine Chasm (check out the multiple posts on this blog about how to find and work with an ethical breeder)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thank you! Have you heard of Country Road Golden retrievers? They are based in Rhode Island.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great thank you! Have you heard of Country Road Golden retrievers? They are based in Rhode Island.
I took a quick look at their Facebook page and what little of a website they have. No mention of health clearances. Do not appear to do anything other than breed their dogs. I found 2 dogs on the OFA site that had inadequate clearances. The male only had hips and elbows and so did his parents. The female only had hips so she most likely failed her elbows.
There are much better breeders out there.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Look at post #13 here for a good list of names
Good luck in your search!

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Where would you recommend expanding to?
With as many good breeders as we have in New England I doubt that expanding your search will be necessary, but certainly you could consider looking at breeders in NY and PA. It's not hard to fly with a puppy, so with that as an option you have the whole of the US to choose from if you find a breeder you are excited about or who has something that the breeders closer to you can't offer...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! If you have any breeders in PA/NY that you would recommend that would be great too -- so far I'm getting waiting lists for 1-2 years...

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Yes, the demand has far outstrip supply during the pandemic, and for breeders who keep waitlists, you probably ARE looking at next year. However, not all breeders do the waitlist thing. Some solicit interest only once there are puppies on the ground and they know how many puppies they have. It’s also possible that a puppy buyer might back out and suddenly a puppy will be available. Definitely keep reaching out, and if you do Facebook, follow their page since that’s often where they first post breeding plans or available puppies.

I’m afraid I’m not familiar with many breeders outside of New England. Using the forum and searching on things like “breeders PA” would likely give you your best leads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts