Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a golden retriever puppy next summer, and I'm looking for a reputable breeder in Ontario, Canada (I live in Toronto).

I've started searching, however since this is my first dog, my knowledge about breeders is limited. I started by visiting the website of the breeders mentioned in the Canadian Kennel Club as well as the Golden Retriever Club of Canada. There are many options out there and I'm a bit overwhelmed about how to choose the right breeder. The tips I know so far are to make sure they do heart, eyes, elbows, hips and genetic testing. However, many of the breeders have not uploaded their certificates to k9data. Moreover, I never got a response back from many of the breeders I had contacted.

Do you recommend any specific breeders? I'd also appreciate any other tips you might have for me.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Who have you contacted and what kind of dog are you looking for? High energy/athletic, more laid back? What do you plan to do with your dog?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who have you contacted and what kind of dog are you looking for? High energy/athletic, more laid back? What do you plan to do with your dog?
I'm looking for a dog who has a medium level of activity, enjoying a few hours of jogging and hiking per week but also liking cuddles and laying on the couch with me. I plan to have him as a companion as I struggle with anxiety.
My priority is with temperament and health. In terms of the look, I prefer those majestic fluffy goldens from championship bloodlines. I don't mind the price.

So far, I have contacted these breeders:
Ambertru: No response
Gold ones: No response
Bow bell goldens: No response
Gray valley goldens: I talked to her on the phone a few months back but we weren't a match.
Goldpaw: Talked to her on the phone, she was interested. She said to contact her again in early 2021 if I want a puppy from her.
Blackpool: Responded to my emails saying that I can make a reservation on January for puppies born in April.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
I've only heard of Ambertru, Grey Valley and Blackpool on your list. It's worth going back to Ambertru - they do say all of their upcoming litters are spoken for, so that might be why you haven't heard back yet. You can also try Kyon, but make sure to check all parents for OFA clearances (as you should for all). I was also going to suggest Blackpool; if they are saying you can get on a wait list for January, providing all clearances are in place, I'd jump at that. You're not going to get pups any sooner than that from a reputable breeder - and most would likely be longer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only heard of Ambertru, Grey Valley and Blackpool on your list. It's worth going back to Ambertru - they do say all of their upcoming litters are spoken for, so that might be why you haven't heard back yet. You can also try Kyon, but make sure to check all parents for OFA clearances (as you should for all). I was also going to suggest Blackpool; if they are saying you can get on a wait list for January, providing all clearances are in place, I'd jump at that. You're not going to get pups any sooner than that from a reputable breeder - and most would likely be longer.
Thanks for the info! I have no rush for getting my puppy. I can wait until Summer 2021. It's just hard to decide which breeder suits me best. I like Blackpool, they seem like a reputable breeder, but I prefer the goldens that have a heavier coat like Ambertru's. I'm gonna try calling them this time as they did not answer my emails.
Someone suggested a few other breeders to me in this regard. Do you know any of them:
Amber croft goldens
Bailey mist goldens
Melia Gold Reg'd golden retrievers

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Ambercroft - good. Does all the clearances.
Baileymist - have not heard of. Seems to do clearances, but you'd have to check the prospective parents.
Melia - Also never heard of. Incomplete clearances from what I can see, so you would have to do due diligence again on the prospective parents.

Don't take it as a negative that I don't know them - I know/ know of fewer conformation style breeders. But there are probably people here more familiar with them.

Reactions: lilpixie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!
Is there anyone in the forum that knows good conformation style breeders?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts