Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I have just joined and am honored to be a part of this community, and truly appreciate all of the information that is so generously shared here. I have dreamt of a Golden since I was a young child. I have had many friends and family members with Goldens, but haven't had one of my own...yet. My beloved Frisko (a black lab) passed at 14.5yo in 2016 and it has taken me this long to be ready for my Golden puppy. I am finally ready!! I have been doing quite a lot of research and to be honest, am getting overwhelmed researching breeders. There are so many. And I keep reading concerning comments in other threads regarding specific breeders. I am looking for a pet, and want to work with an unquestionably responsible breeder; health and temperament are very important to me. A waitlist is no problem, and I am willing to spend what a reputable breeder charges. Is anyone willing/able to recommend a breeder in the PNW? Ideally I would like to be able to visit prior to committing. However, if the right breeder for me is located elsewhere, I am open to exploring that option as well.

Thank you all for loving Goldens so much, and for any guidance you are willing to offer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We got our golden from Canyon Meadows Farm in Tacoma, WA in 2019. Unfortunately, we didn’t have the knowledge we do today and can’t recommend that breeder. She didn’t really ask us any questions about ourselves and our living situation/previous experiences with dogs. We arrived, and she pretty much put a puppy in our hands. We had lost our previous golden to cancer, so we naively thought a breeder toting European lines would result in a healthier dog. We bought the puppy, and he has been just amazing.

But over the past few months, I’ve read up about OFA clearances and the code of ethics. It was confusing at first, but reading through this forum helped tremendously. I looked at the Canyon Meadow’s page for more info about his parents’ clearances. No OFA clearances were listed for the dam. His dam’s name is listed differnently on the site vs on the contract. Could be error, but that seems pretty significant and raises my eyebrows. Either name cannot be found through the OFA database. I contacted her twice in regards to the dam’s clearances but have not heard any response. I wish I could have the health information about his dam and his dam’s family. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
if you want to let us know who this dam is (and sire, too, for that matter) someone may be able to suss out at least a history for you.
This isn't a breeder anyone familiar with well-bred Goldens would recommend. They do mix breeds Goldens with Bernese Mountain Dogs...

Reactions: Prisca

·
Registered
2 Posts
His dam is (as listed on the contract) CMF Marilyn’s Lil Miss Porscha (AKC SR92159202). But on the website the name is CMF Fashionista Miss Porscha (same AKC #). Sire is Amore Veritas You My Only One (AKC SS05363302). Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Cmf Marilyn's Lil Miss Porscha is the real name, per AKC. There are no clearances on OFA for that number.

Nor does sire have an OFA page. There are foreign hip/elbow ratings on k9data but those were input by owner when he was just a puppy. Pedigree: AMORE VERITAS YOU MY ONLY ONE

Reactions: Prisca

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Prisca, I appreciate your response. And it's kind of ironic because I have a friend that got a puppy from Canyon Meadows Farm in December and I mistakenly thought that if they went with that breeder that it must be the right choice for me too. So I put a deposit down in December and was super excited to have that big step behind me. As the weeks went on, and I continued to research everything Golden, I realized that I was NOT comfortable getting a puppy from them. They didn't confirm who the parents would be in December and she said they would have more info in January. Well, January came and went...and February...no communication. I finally reached out and asked for more info and she said they'll be ready in a few weeks". So obviously they knew who the parents were but didn't communicate. I told her that health testing was extremely important to me and that I wanted to verify records. She said all their dogs' info was online (but as you noted, it's wasn't). I ended up requesting a refund (50% of the deposit is non-refundable, per their policy). It was an expensive mistake, but I knew they weren't the breeder for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there! I’d recommend looking into Whiskey Creek Goldens, or Shyan Goldens.

There are a few more breeders listed on the Pacific Rim Golden Retriever Club’s website under their puppy referral page. Definitely continue to look into health clearances, and if you can’t find them online, ask the breeder if they have records on file they’re willing to share.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts