Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed compared to other puppies, my puppy has a problem. He doesnt want to look at me when I am giving him a command, he like looks then then looks to both sides. When he does this, I notice I have to repeat the commands and then he will do it. Or i will put my face in his face and say the command, and he will do it immediately. The only exception is when my puppy wants something from me like play, food, etc. he will look directly at me willing to do any command. Its annoying because this is probably why I have problem having him to listen to me when there is distractions.

I tried putting a treat in front my face, etc. hasnt worked.

Any Suggestions?

·
A Deputy and his dog
167 Posts
Sounds like you have a stubborn puppy. Moose was/is the same way. I haven't been able to correct it. Mostly he does it to my wife when she gives him a command. He will look off to one side like he is ignoring her. Sorry I don't have any suggestions but wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Remember that he is five months and easily distracted. We played the "touch" game in obedience class and "watch me" where when they touch your hand they get a treat or look you in the eye - then immediately reward with a treat. Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
We learned that if you show him the treat and then put it behind your head then he will probably focus on your eyes. As soon as he focuses on your eyes give him the treat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts