Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copper is a shelter rescue and I've always thought he is a mix.
I think this tail proves it!

It looks pretty normal until you go about 5" - 6" from the base of his tail and then boy does it bush out! Kind of like a fox tail. It requires some diligence to keep it tangle free:doh: and he has gotten completely stuck in briars because of it too.:uhoh: I don't hestitate to cut hunks of his tail out because of the briars and you would never even know since it is so full!

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
His tail looks like a perfect golden flag to me. My guys like to use theirs for collecting burdocks in the fall.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oakley's dad - is a burdock anything like a cockleburr? I guess I'll look that up, but it doesn't sound like fun.

this is a golden tail? I am absolutely amazed. I'm going to go back to other pictures on here and check out those tails!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
It's a Golden tail alright. Darby has one just like it, collect everything.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copper's tail really looks like two tails grafted together.

I really have no idea about the GR standard. I had dogs when I was a child/teenager and then did not own one for 20+ years. A great old GR I found 8 years ago reminded me of how much I was missing.;)

Ihe dogs I have had as an adult have all been found or shelter rescues and I did not care what their pedigree was. I just had no idea a GR could have such a huge, bushy tail! I had no idea what he might be mixed with to get that though.

Of course, I found our companion "Jack" 3 years ago when he was 9 weeks old. I thought he was a dappled dachsund (due to his merle coloring)........ He grew up to be 47lbs and 4.5' from head to tip of tail.:doh:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Coppers tail looks like a golden tail to me. Be glad they are as long so close to the butt. LOL

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I stand corrected, but just look at the difference between the top 6" or so and the rest of the "bush"! There is no breeze in this picture "fanning" that tail it - it is all natural.

I am flabbergasted and will quit calling Copper my "GoldenX".

I love him to pieces though and I believe I could accurately be called "besotted" with my little shelter reject.:)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I
I love him to pieces though and I believe I could accurately be called "besotted" with my little shelter reject.:)
He looks all Golden to me. And well.... :scratchch who isn't besotted with the Goldens? We can't help but fall in love with them, look into those eyes and your a goner!! :D Join the pack... there is no escaping Goldendom!!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Ah Besotted Momma to Copper, his tail is all golden:) Your little reject boy is very likely all golden. My grand-dog has a tail like Copper's, and his pedigree would impress even the most discerning breeders:) Give that lovely old guy a big smooch from me, please.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts