Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to start some serious LAT training with my highly excitable boy.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, LAT is from Leslie McDevitt's book Control Unleashed (although other behaviorists have independently developed similar methods) and it helps dogs who are reactive to things in their environment feel less anxious about everything around them (be it other dogs, people, motorcycles, etc.). This includes dogs who, like Cosmo, feel they need to see, smell, feel everything out there, and those who are afraid of things out there. It works by clicking the dog for looking at those things - look, click, dogs looks back at you, reward. It's counter-intuitive.

I wanted to hear from those of who have tried LAT, successfully or not. In particular I'm wondering how to shape it to fit a overly friendly dog. The literature is mostly about dogs who are afraid. The desensitization is the same but would like to hear people's thoughts on that.

I'm not exactly sure yet what I will let him look at first since he is highly aroused by his environment in general. I'm thinking I could try people walking past.

I'm also wondering how I can use LAT to desensitize him to his leash, which he hates. Kinda more conceptual...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
So I'm going to start some serious LAT training with my highly excitable boy.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, LAT is from Leslie McDevitt's book Control Unleashed (although other behaviorists have independently developed similar methods) and it helps dogs who are reactive to things in their environment feel less anxious about everything around them (be it other dogs, people, motorcycles, etc.). This includes dogs who, like Cosmo, feel they need to see, smell, feel everything out there, and those who are afraid of things out there. It works by clicking the dog for looking at those things - look, click, dogs looks back at you, reward. It's counter-intuitive.

I wanted to hear from those of who have tried LAT, successfully or not. In particular I'm wondering how to shape it to fit a overly friendly dog. The literature is mostly about dogs who are afraid. The desensitization is the same but would like to hear people's thoughts on that.

I'm not exactly sure yet what I will let him look at first since he is highly aroused by his environment in general. I'm thinking I could try people walking past.

I'm also wondering how I can use LAT to desensitize him to his leash, which he hates. Kinda more conceptual...
I'm really interested in hearing this, too. Vito seems just like Cosmo...needs to smell, see, and stick his face in EVERYTHING.

·
M&M's mom
264 Posts
I'm in the process of reading Control Unleashed and found your posts on here. Since they are from 2011, I'm wondering if you (Jackie) or anyone else has suggestions about use, thoughts on effectiveness, etc. My 11 month old is overly friendly and reactive to people and dogs to the point that she could hurt someone in her exuberance. My DH always says she is fearful and over reacts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts