Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before covid I would walk 10km at a time. Once the kids are back to school I want to start that back up - how far can I safely take my pup? He’s about 7mos now and will be 8mos once I start my long walks. Right now he goes for 2km max at a time. I’d work up to the distance of course. I’m just wondering how far I should limit it?

Thanks

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,251 Posts
At no time ever should your Golden go 10K (6.2 mi). Especially a puppy. An adult could do it in his prime if you allowed the dog to pick his own pace(s): go and stop, sniff and pee, run and rest, as he chooses. But Goldens are not built for long forced marches at human pace. And doing so can destroy a young dog's joints such that it will suffer terrible arthritis in old age, and possible hip or elbow issues.

Don't do it.

An adult over 2 years old could do it if you work up to it AND you allow the dog to go off leash at his own pace, falling behind and catching up as he needs to. One of the greatest human evolutionary advantages is that we can go at a steady pace for very long distances, which allowed us to tire out prey that could run faster or go farther, but not at a constant pace. Dogs do NOT share that evolutionary development. Trying to force them into it will injure them. There may be some light framed dogs, sight hounds perhaps, who could do it without adverse consequence. Goldens are not among them, though.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Goldens are not build for long forced marches at human pace.
Thanks for this post/reply DanaRuns.

I had never thought about length of walks like this.
I really enjoy taking our Goldens for long walks (not when it's hot though). Sometimes several miles. Thanks for making me think twice about it. Especially the puppy Pearl.

I wonder what is reasonable for various ages.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
But Goldens are not build for long forced marches at human pace.
One of the greatest human evolutionary advantages is that we can go at a steady pace for very long distances, which allowed us to tire out prey that could run faster or go farther, but not at a constant pace. Dogs do NOT share that evolutionary development.
I think I'm part Golden Retriever because I'm not built for long distances at a steady or even slow pace! I clearly missed out on that human evolutionary advantage!

·
Registered
322 Posts
If your 8 month old Golden is tired after waling 2km you need to take him to the vet.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I walk my nine month old two miles in the morning and a mile to mile and a half at night.

I walked farther with my adult Golden from when he was about two to seven years old. We usually went four to five miles a day.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Appreciate the response. I didn’t say he was tired - just slow. He sniffs and checks everything out.
Let him, it's good for a young dog to explore. He needs to get used to as many smells, sights and activities as possible.
It builds confidence.

·
Barry T.
7 Posts
I used to walk my Golden for about 2 miles each evening. He so looked forward to the walks, he would patiently wait by the leash until I came to get him. One thing I focused on was allowing him to stop and sniff, do his duty and walk on the grass as a change of pace. The grass helped cushion the constant pounding of a walk. About mid way through, I would sit and relax with him by a grass field and then throw his pheasant training bird a few times to let him stretch his legs, work his nose and his retrieving skills. Always a great time in all kinds of weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts