Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone!
It's been so long since I've visited the forum and it was great to see all the pictures of the sweet dogs and puppies :)

Ace has been such a blessing to my son and I.

I have an issue that I need to ask your help on.

This summer Nick and I are riding our bikes across America in memory of my brother who we lost to cancer in 2002. We will be on the road for about 2 1/2 months.

As much as my son would love for Ace to come with us, obviously this is not an option!

I have contacted several friends and neighbors to see if they could watch Ace for us while we're gone and because of plans and obligations we have been unsuccessful in that effort.

The only other option I can think of is "long term boarding". I've contacted local boarding facilities and many don't offer boarding for this length of time and the ones that do are expensive ($20.00 -$40.00 per day).

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Below is a video of my son and Ace as we talk about our upcoming journey.
If you would like to follow us on our ride and/or make a donation to help us with the costs of our trip and caring for Ace...see our blog Ask me About my Beard

Nick and Ace Video
http://youtu.be/yagQg--uGqQ

Thanks Much!
Dan, Nick and Ace

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
My mother once fostered a dog for about three months while the owner was institutionalized. The local shelter had been asked to board the dog, so they asked my mother to do this.

Can you think of any shelters that might know of some fosters?

Do you live near a college? Maybe you can hire a college student to stay in your home to house sit and take care of your dog? I know my friend's daughter was hired to do this one summer, it was a win-win situation for everybody.

There are also pet sitters out there that will take dogs into their homes. Ask your vet if any of the technicians there do this.

I am boarding my dogs at the vets this summer for twelve days, so I understand your concerns about cost and length of time. I am having a hard enough time thinking of 12 days.

·
where the tails wag
13,329 Posts
Can you contact Ace's breeder? I know both of my younger dogs would readily be accepted at their breeders whenever care is needed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was going to suggest your breeder as well, or your trainer if you have a good relationship with one? I know our trainer will watch dogs long-term, but only for her clients. Asking your vet for suggestions is another good idea, as I know a couple vet techs from our training classes that do this, as well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions...I have contacted a couple more boarding facilities and one has indicated that they may be able to provide a very generous discount based on why Ace will be away from us for so long.

Gotta love businesses like that :)

·
Premium Member
17,907 Posts
Check with your vet's office to see if any of the staff will "foster" him while you are gone, or if they know of anyone who might. Ask your breeder if they will, or know of anyone who could. I would prefer a home situation for that length of time rather than a boarding facility, unless it is one that has doggy day care included.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you don't mind mentioning where you live, perhaps someone can offer some other suggestions.

I know I would be willing to help foster for a few months (and my mom would too) in certain situations. You never know. :)

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
If you don't mind telling us where about you live, maybe someone on this forum can take him in or knows someone who might be able to take him in! It would be a lot cheaper to just find someone for him to live with for those months than to board him, and probably a lot easier on him!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I would be looking for a petsitter who would have your dog in his/her home for that length of time over a kennel type situation. The petsitter I use for my dogs does long term boarding (at a discount from the regular boarding rates) and I feel much more happy that my dogs are in a homelike situation when they can't come with me for trips or whatever.

Or maybe someone here can help if you let us know where you live! :)

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Everyone's given great ideas. I second the idea of talking to your vet to see if someone there will foster him or if they know of someone they would recommend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts