Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I know this is a long shot but I figured I'd try anyway. Sometimes things are meant to be and work out.

Let me preface this post by saying I know what we're getting into...this isn't a whim Christmas purchase. We lost our 9 year old golden in July to osteosarcoma...it was heartbreaking. Shortly after the diagnosis we opted for an amputation and no chemo and he lived out his last five months (and I mean lived....runs on the beach, chasing balls, etc...it was hard to tell he was a tripawd) happy and pain free! Anyway, I digress....We also have an almost 3 year old golden, Cooper. We hadn't planned on getting another but Cooper seems a little lost without his buddy and my daughter desperately wants another. It's #1 on her Santa list ;) So we figured we'd search around a bit and see if it was meant to be! We tried Twin Beau D (as that is the look we are going for and have heard wonderful things about the temperament of their dogs). Their Christmas pups are all sold however. Our 2 year old's temperament is amazing with people but he is very timid and has shown some aggression (growling) with other dogs (we're working on it!) so I'm not so sure we want to go back to the same breeder we used for him.
So...if anyone knows of a great breeder in the New England area that may have pups for Christmas and would like to share that information with me that would be fantastic! We are willing to travel a bit....Southern NH, Northern CT, RI would all be fine. We are in Southeastern MA.

Thanks so much!!!
Brenda

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm always a debby downer, but the comment about your dog's uncertainty around other dogs made me raise an eyebrow. My dog is the same way - VERY timid around dogs, and will growl if they distress her too much. I know I could probably never bring a puppy in the house because she would be way too unhappy. Is there a chance your dog might not be the right fit for a puppy? Or is he okay around puppies?

Btw, the growling isn't necessarily aggression. It's mostly just doggie language for "Hey, back off, I'm uncomfortable." MUCH better than a snap! And I'm sorry about the loss of your older golden this year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm always a debby downer, but the comment about your dog's uncertainty around other dogs made me raise an eyebrow. My dog is the same way - VERY timid around dogs, and will growl if they distress her too much. I know I could probably never bring a puppy in the house because she would be way too unhappy. Is there a chance your dog might not be the right fit for a puppy? Or is he okay around puppies?

Btw, the growling isn't necessarily aggression. It's mostly just doggie language for "Hey, back off, I'm uncomfortable." MUCH better than a snap! And I'm sorry about the loss of your older golden this year.

No, he's fine with puppies. I'm actually not sure how much of it is really aggressive type behavior. He is a VERY vocal dog...sounds like he's growling when he's happy and greets us "growling" with his face all scrunched up and that big teeth bearing golden smile LOL. So, I think he sounds a heck of a lot meaner than he is when he is intimidated or unsure. I think it bothers me more than anything because people are a little taken back sometimes. It's just the initial meeting where he growls...once that's done he's fine and will go off playing with the other dog. So I don't have any worries about bringing another dog into the household.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
No, he's fine with puppies. I'm actually not sure how much of it is really aggressive type behavior. He is a VERY vocal dog...sounds like he's growling when he's happy and greets us "growling" with his face all scrunched up and that big teeth bearing golden smile LOL. So, I think he sounds a heck of a lot meaner than he is when he is intimidated or unsure. I think it bothers me more than anything because people are a little taken back sometimes. It's just the initial meeting where he growls...once that's done he's fine and will go off playing with the other dog. So I don't have any worries about bringing another dog into the household.

Oh then he's fine! I read more into your comment than I should have. :) Good luck finding a pupper!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Christmas pups are generally not a good idea.... I realize that this is not an impulsive xmas thing but can you extend your search and give your daughter the bowl and leash and then open doors to after christmas pups... the excitement will still be there.... the breeders will be more open to giving you a pup because most reputable breeders want to meet hte whole family and things are calmed down a bit after christmas. I am planning a litter for next year but might end up not breeding simply because judging my girls timing, I don't want christmas puppies.... and I would never give a pup to someone with a relatively young child without meeting that child as well as the rest of the family ....

A backyard breeder will give christmas pups to whomever wants one... a reputable breeder will be much more cautious and that is the kind of breeder you want

s

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can definitely see the benefits of waiting but we would really like to do this for her for Christmas if we can. If not, then we will wait. Like I said this isn't our first rodeo :) I just always believe that if things are meant to be they will be. If everything falls into place and we can find a reputable breeder that has pups available for Christmas it would be perfect. I can't stress enough this isn't impulsive...if it were I would have called every backyard breeder within 50 miles to see who had puppies LOL :) Instead I came here in the hopes that someone might know of a reputable breeder that would have a Christmas pup available. So if anyone does have any info that would help us in our search I would really really appreciate it!
Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Twin Beau-D will likely have puppies in early Spring - it's worth a call. We were initially looking for a Spring puppy from them after Reuben died, but another purchaser backed out of a male pick (in September) from a mid-October litter. Nancy called us and we decided to take him. The anticipation was a good part of the fun - waiting for the puppies to be born on October 15 (to see if there was a puppy for us), waiting until they were 5 weeks old to see the litter, and finally picking him up on December 5. We've totally fallen in love with Wakefield, and am looking forward to celebrating his "gotcha" day in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've already called Twin Beau D and they will have puppies ready to go in Feb which is what we may do if we can't come up with one for Christmas :) I think I'm going to give them a call back and leave my number with them in case any of the buyers of the Christmas pups back out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I can definitely see the benefits of waiting but we would really like to do this for her for Christmas if we can. If not, then we will wait. Like I said this isn't our first rodeo :) I just always believe that if things are meant to be they will be. If everything falls into place and we can find a reputable breeder that has pups available for Christmas it would be perfect. I can't stress enough this isn't impulsive...if it were I would have called every backyard breeder within 50 miles to see who had puppies LOL :) Instead I came here in the hopes that someone might know of a reputable breeder that would have a Christmas pup available. So if anyone does have any info that would help us in our search I would really really appreciate it!
Thanks!

I UNDERSTAND about the impulsive.. I KNOW IT ISN"T impulsive BUT
most reputable breeders will not sell a puppy to someone without meeting the ENTIRE family and that includes the kid.... if this is supposed to be some big surprise then they obviously can't meet the kid without giving away the surprise.... that has nothing to do with impulsive i get that... it has to do with a responsible breeder being able to properly screen a family which they can't do if they don't meet the entire family.... you clearly don't want just any puppy from an irresponsible breeder and thus you have an innate problem.... a responsible breeder is going to want to screen the entire family and many of US avoid having christmas litters at all costs. Even those who do will often hold pups for an extra week so the pups don't go home at christmas time.... there is to much going on.... to many distractions... to much traveling from place to place for the holidays...

I personally don't ever sell puppies as surprises and would never sell a puppy without meeting the entire family including the kids...

S

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I wish "Santa" good luck in making your daughter's Christmas dreams come true. Any pup who choose your family will be a happy puppy. Here's hoping you have a Merry Golden Christmas. :smooch:

I've already called Twin Beau D and they will have puppies ready to go in Feb which is what we may do if we can't come up with one for Christmas :) I think I'm going to give them a call back and leave my number with them in case any of the buyers of the Christmas pups back out. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With all due respect Shalva, the OP just wants to surprise her daughter. I think it was clear from your first post how you felt.

OP, good luck finding a puppy whenever that may be.
THANK YOU! I respect Shalva's decision to have such hefty requirements for her puppies. I do think it's a little unreasonable to require parents to bring their children in for "approval" but that's just me. As i think it's pretty easy to get a sense for someone and their family upon meeting them. To say you'd never sell a puppy as a surprise is again a little unreasonable as all circumstances are individual. I can completely see if someone wanted to surprise another adult or spouse. Surprising a child (especially one that already has a golden and lost one recently) alltogether different. But again I digress and am getting away from my OP....which was to possibly find a reputable breeder that did in fact have Christmas pups not a question as to whether or not I should buy one at Christmas time. If I can handle a newborn and a 12 week old puppy as was the case when we brought our beloved Peyton home 9 1/2 years ago....I can certainly get through Christmas with a new pup :).

·
Registered
869 Posts
THANK YOU! I respect Shalva's decision to have such hefty requirements for her puppies. I do think it's a little unreasonable to require parents to bring their children in for "approval" but that's just me. As i think it's pretty easy to get a sense for someone and their family upon meeting them. To say you'd never sell a puppy as a surprise is again a little unreasonable as all circumstances are individual. I can completely see if someone wanted to surprise another adult or spouse. Surprising a child (especially one that already has a golden and lost one recently) alltogether different. But again I digress and am getting away from my OP....which was to possibly find a reputable breeder that did in fact have Christmas pups not a question as to whether or not I should buy one at Christmas time. If I can handle a newborn and a 12 week old puppy as was the case when we brought our beloved Peyton home 9 1/2 years ago....I can certainly get through Christmas with a new pup :).

Sorry I can't help you with a recommendation for a breeder with puppies but being a human mom first, I completely understand about your daughter.

Just a suggestion if you are unable to find her a puppy before Christmas and as a bit of an explanation..... Reputable breeders will hold off on breeding girls or will keep puppies an extra week or so, so that puppies aren't going home Christmas Eve, etc. This has nothing to do with the family not being capable or a good family. There are just lots of distractions right at Christmas and people often travel to relatives or have company and are away for extended periods of the day and then add in the extension cords, ornaments, wrapping paper, tinsel....I think you get the idea. No breeder wants one of their puppy families to be spending Christmas Eve or any other evening in the ER with their puppy because it ate something. Puppies are fast and accidents do happen so that is just our way of trying to avoid them. :)

I often tell people to get a gift card to PetmSmart, Petco and put that under the tree for your daughter. You can also make her a card, certificate or something along those lines that says she is getting a puppy at such and such time. Attach it to a little golden figurine, stuffed animal or calendar. If the puppies are already born by Christmas, you may be able to get a photo of the litter from the breeder and put that in the card, as well. Then take her shopping and let her pick out a new bowl, leash, collar, some toys, etc for the new puppy with her gift certificate. It makes the kids feel so much more involved with the whole process.

And yes, I have gotten a couple little certificates from children over the years that said......This certificate entitles the bearer to one golden retriever puppy. :) These were families who had goldens previously and the family wanted the dog as well, it was just a surprise to the child that the puppy was coming. We have also had engagement rings attached to puppy collars, as well. :)

Best of luck!!

Jennifer

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When we picked up Brady at Nancy's house (Twin-Beau-D), she and her husband introduced me and my kids to the other dogs, and they carefully observed my kids. Her husband made sure my kids knew how to handle the puppy, and gave them instructions on what to do and what not to do.

At one point, I had said something, that she at first misunderstood, she thought I had said we never had raised a puppy before ( even though I had given her and talked with her about my history with my other dogs ). She then told me that she would not allow a puppy to go home with a family that is inexperienced.

I hope you are as happy with your puppy as we are with Brady!

Reactions: brenrn

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
most responsible breeders insist on meeting the kids... for an assortment of reasons... I have watched parents who I thought were ok be totally unable to control their children... I watched the kids chase my seizure active dog... I watched the parent ask the child nicely to stop banging the bird cage and the child turned and looked at the parent and banged the cage again....

Children can hurt a young puppy even unintentionally and alot is learned from watching the interactions between parent and child both positively and negatively....

I agree with HV there are an assortment of other ways to surprise the kid without putting a living creature under a tree....

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
It's actually not that unreasonable or rare that breeders expect to see the entire family before agreeing to sell a puppy. Flora's breeder required a family meeting before he agreed to sell me Flora, and this was 3 weeks before Flora could even go home! He told me that he has actually denied some families a puppy because the parents clearly did not know how to control their children, and he felt uncomfortable selling them a puppy.

I know this is not the case with you, but I just wanted to point out that many breeders do this sort of thing and it's not unreasonable. Good luck, I hope you and your daughter get the wonderful puppy you deserve. :)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Well, it sounds like you know what you are doing
I am just curious how you know this based on what was said in this thread.... because honestly I just don't see that there is enough information here to make any such statement.... so I am curious... how do you know this?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts