Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it feasible to make a very long road trip with 16 week golden retriever puppy? She should be fully vaccinated by then. The idea is to visit family and friends on the other side of Europe and return again in 3-4 week period. The trip is 1400 miles each way, which we could do in two days or else maybe a little longer with more nights along the way. I would like to get opinions on whether this is at all reasonable for a young puppy. Not just the drive, but also being away from home for so long. We would be staying in the same place once we get there, so no more travelling once we are at our destination.

Many thanks for any opinions / information.

·
Puddles
3,850 Posts
I made a 14+ hr drive to pick up my 16 wk old pup by myself, we had no issues. I used a wire crate (as that is what the breeder used) with a solid bottom incase they got sick. Pups don't care where they sleep as long as you are with them :) Use a leash when you stop for potty breaks, keep everyone safe!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd also say make sure they stay cool. If they get too hot, they often get restless. When we had a car and took long trips, we used cardboard to make a 'tunnel' between the front seats to shoot the AC on the dogs in the back and not freeze sitting in the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. It seems it should not be a problem, if we plan the route properly and prepare everything.

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
When we took our gut to the Outer Banks from Vt it was about 16 hours over two days. Finding the location of county and state parks along the route can provide lots of opportunities for puppy breaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts