Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't think of a more appropriate title... Archie, our 3 year old Golden Retriever, has suddenly started trying to communicate with other dogs in the area. That's barking, day and night, loud and often. We do live fairly remotely but we do have neighbours and I'm sure it's an issue, as it has become one for us. We can hear faint return barks in the distance but this is often echo so he is effectively barking to himself. If he is actually communicating with other dogs though I'd be reluctant to stop it. He also goes crazy with visitors, as my sign on the gate says, not in an aggressive way but an over-friendly way. However, one poor courier was chased down the drive and leaped head first over the gate!... Not funny really.

Of course, it may just be boredom and I wouldn't want to train the guard dog out of him but if we could just control the barking.... Any known cures out there?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Sounds like your Archie is bored! How are you doing in keeping him active? For example, long and energetic walks, intensive training, play dates with other dogs, etc. I'm sure others on the forum will chime in with other suggestions. Good luck!

·
the party's crashing us
4,245 Posts
Bring him inside.

Reactions: Jersey's Mom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wendy & K9. We live on the coast and he does get a good beach walk/run every day and whatever the weather. I have suspected it to be boredom though oddly it is more common in the evenings when everyone is home and not just me working. Yes we do bring him in but I'm trying to understand why he does it so that we can control it... not just prevent it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts