Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something for my dog to chew that will last a long time.

I've already tried so many nylabones and she is not interested, bully sticks are dangerous and was a stabbing hazard to my dog, antlers are too hard. I'm pretty much only using greenies as something acceptable for her to chew that she is interested in but those don't last. She loves chewing and eating sticks but I do my best to not let her.

Please provide suggestions for long lasting chews that are edible because it seems every chew that is not edible is something she is not interested in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use compressed raw hide sticks since mine isn’t fond of Nyla bones either. I have a puppy that’s a heavy chewer and my breeder recommended these sticks. They last a long time.

·
Super Moderator
4,348 Posts
I stopped giving Nylabones years ago. I do like to give big knuckle bones, they can last quite a while. My feeling is nothing lasts a long time. I will give Bully Sticks---one dog finishes it in minutes, the other one buries it to dig it up later, sometimes weeks later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi.. We use split elk antlers for our 8 months old pup.. they last longer and she is a heavy chewer. We usually order them on chewy when on sale such as buy 3 get 1 free etc.. these antlers are not too hard in my opinion. We use water buffalo horn from our local pet sore, veggie hides, veggies ears and cow hooves. Cow hooves are smaller with hollow space where you can use some stuffing. All these chews are edible and does not upset my pup's stomach.

Make sure you supervise his chew time always.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have absolutely given up on any recommended chevy things, nothing lasts longer then few hours and the cost of "benebones" that start to look ready to throw out in 2 hours is staggering, so broke all the rules ;) and used my grandma's system.
got 3 marrow bones boiled for an hour, dug out the marrow, inserted wiener, froze the whole thing, and very happy with the results,
accept for the part that grandma paint $ 0.40 for the 3 bones, I paid $ 6 !!!! :)

Addy enjoying her marrow bone so far indestructible....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts