Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post this in case it would help someone else. After 8 weeks of diarrhea/runny stools and $800 of tests, meds and two puzzled vets, our Golden suddenly got better. We attributed it to a couple things. We live in Arizona, and Chester is 13 months old. Even though we kept him inside in the air-conditioning as much as possible, the heat really seemed to make a significant difference in his stools. Our first cool day and he firmed up almost completely! Also, we tried many high-end dog foods, especially the highly rated "No Grain" varieties. We discovered these also made him runny. They just seem to have too high of protein content and aggravate his digestive system. This was confirmed after he got into our daughter's dog's food, which is a No Grain food and boom - runny again immediately. After reading posts on this Forum, we tried Fromm's Gold Holistic Large Breed. He has absolutely done GREAT on it! So, watch out for the heat and No Grain foods! Here's to your Happy GR!

·
Registered
181 Posts
You must be so pleased to have got him sorted out at long last! I expect Chester is happier too. You could try giving him a teaspoon of oat bran a day too, it's supposed to be an equaliser (solves runny bums and constipated ones). I've had my girl on oatmeal in the evening and oat bran in the mornings for just over a week because of her tummy issues (mostly vomiting but an occasional loose bum) and it's made a huge difference to her. I'm sure her coat is even softer too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just wanted to post this in case it would help someone else. After 8 weeks of diarrhea/runny stools and $800 of tests, meds and two puzzled vets, our Golden suddenly got better. We attributed it to a couple things. We live in Arizona, and Chester is 13 months old. Even though we kept him inside in the air-conditioning as much as possible, the heat really seemed to make a significant difference in his stools. Our first cool day and he firmed up almost completely! Also, we tried many high-end dog foods, especially the highly rated "No Grain" varieties. We discovered these also made him runny. They just seem to have too high of protein content and aggravate his digestive system. This was confirmed after he got into our daughter's dog's food, which is a No Grain food and boom - runny again immediately. After reading posts on this Forum, we tried Fromm's Gold Holistic Large Breed. He has absolutely done GREAT on it! So, watch out for the heat and No Grain foods! Here's to your Happy GR!
My furry girl was on Acana Pacifica (grain free) and she had runny stool. Now that she is fine with Fromm Gold Large Breed Puppy. Not the firmest stool but not loose or runny. I have to add pumpkin to firm it up a bit.

She's been having diarrhea since she came back from a new training class. Transitioning back to the Fromm kibbles after a bland (pumpkin/turkey) diet has been tough. Firmed up for a day but then runny again last night.

I'm out of ideas, so I'm taking her to a holistic vet to see if there is a way to build up a strong gut for her. Something is triggering her immune system to go freaked out after I started transitioning her back to Fromm kibbles. Also need to do a stool test to weed out possible giardia and other bugs.

I think the problem with the no grain kibble is that they have to use some other binding agents to make the kibble. So, some dogs might react negatively to those non-grain binding agents or starch...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts