Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really do not over feed her. She is 14 months old and weighed in at 74 pounds at the vets yesterday when I took her into get her booster rabie shot. I asked the vet if she could stand to lose a few pounds and the vet said Lola could. Lola gets feed in two feedings- one cup of grain free dry in the morning with some extra ground vegetables and some salmon oil = Then about a half cup of raw turkey and vegetables at night.( Bravo frozen brand). She gets a vitamin and I add MISSING LINK. She gets no snacks other than maybe a carrot.... No grains and no cookie treats or any thing else that would add to her calorie intake. ( Of course the occational bird seed treat or something naughty....:bowl:)

I do not see that her calorie intake is high.... I could cut back on her dry to a 1/2 a cup rather than one cup. We try to play ball with her and get outside with her - but it is hard sometimes this time of year with it dark practically all day and raining etc. Hopefully come spring I can get outside more to have her be more active. Any suggestions?

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
If at all possible, exercise. No matter the weather - 1 1/2 cups of food a day is not that much - is she spayed?

Reactions: newport

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
Not knowing how tall your girl is, it's hard to say if she is overweight. She is about 20 pounds heavier than my female, for what that's worth.

I feel for you in terms of the dark and miserable weather. I don't think you are overfeeding - but I do think she might need more exercise. Playing ball in the dark is hard, but she needs at least two, if not three, brisk walks a day at that age. Try to get up early enough that you can fit in a brisk 45 minutes in the morning, and then do another 45-60 in the evening.

When my dog was that age, she would be bouncing off the walls if she didn't get 30 minutes of ball in the morning, 30-60 minutes of ball and/or walking midday, and a brisk 60-90 minutes walk in the evening. Again, I know it IS hard in the dark gloom, but it's worth it. You'll feel better - and your dog will be healthier! :)

Reactions: newport

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
btw: I used to toss a ball down the stairs for King in bad weather - we have a finished basement so I'd whale the ball down, he'd go flying and usually have to search under furniture and then he'd come flying back upstairs. Repeat dozens of time LOL

Now, I just turn on the lights, bundle up and go outside since the ball fetch game is great for 1 dog at a time, not so much for 3. I also just ordered a treadmill for my crew - in case this winter is as awful as last winter was...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to up the exercise somehow- I know she would love it! Lola loves to go go go!:) thanks for your suggestions!

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
If at all possible, exercise. No matter the weather - 1 1/2 cups of food a day is not that much - is she spayed?[/QUOTE]

Yes Lola is spayed.
That may have cut her caloric requirements substantially .. but I don't know if you can go much lower than you are feeding now ...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
btw: I used to toss a ball down the stairs for King in bad weather - we have a finished basement so I'd whale the ball down, he'd go flying and usually have to search under furniture and then he'd come flying back upstairs. Repeat dozens of time LOL

Now, I just turn on the lights, bundle up and go outside since the ball fetch game is great for 1 dog at a time, not so much for 3. I also just ordered a treadmill for my crew - in case this winter is as awful as last winter was...
Weren't you worried they would break a leg or something going down the stairs flying?? I have a fear of Lola flying down the stairs and hurting herself.... I am over protective....:no:

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
No :) My dogs hike and run over all kinds of surfaces every day - running up and down the inside stairs never bothered them :) I should mention I waited until King was about a year - I would not do that with a pup.

I am more apt to worry about a lack of exercise - physical & mental.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I would not really worry about four extra pounds and seems that you are feeding very little. I would not cut the food amount therefore. If you are worried, yes, increase the exercise and walking time. My golden had to lose 15 pounds because of knee surgery and then hip surgery. He is 75 pounds and looks awfully bony to me. He is really big boned and has a big head. But it was for his health, still he looks bony to me and I am bumping up his food amount a bit now that he has all surgeries behind him and is on the mend. I don't want him to lose anymore weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts