Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One year old Lola has a really good diet- 50% raw- with plenty of greens in it. Why would she feel the need to eat grass? I heard it was when their stomach hurts maybe...? She seems just fine that way other than the grass eating. Anything I should worry about if she is healthy in every other way visible? :confused:

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Do you know if there is any fertilizer or weed killers/fungicides on it? I'd try to keep her from doing it to avoid a possible ingestion of harmful toxic chemicals.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I've got 2 grazers too... they love munching on the tips of every blade of grass in the yard. I wouldn't worry about it really. We do make sure not to use any fertilizers or chemicals on the grass though for that reason.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My dogs eat grass constantly. They are doing that right now ad I type.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
I have grass eaters. They graze like cows all day and have been for years. Just don't put down chemicals on your lawn and they will be fine.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Brooks has particular grass that he likes, and he especially likes that one grass in the very early spring when it is growing very fast and is very tender.
That grass eating I don't think has anything to do with a stomach not feeling well.
On the other hand, when his stomach doesn't feel well, I am guessing because he ate something that I didn't intend for him to (like a bunch of cat litter and poop, or some noxious rotten thing outside) he will sometimes eat a bunch of grass afterwards and then throw up this big huge blob of grass and very gross smelling vomit. I think somehow the grass coats the bad stuff and captures it to move it up and out when he vomits (just my way of thinking about it). When he eats grass associated with vomiting, it is not that tender grass but rather coarse grass.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Brooks has particular grass that he likes, and he especially likes that one grass in the very early spring when it is growing very fast and is very tender.
That grass eating I don't think has anything to do with a stomach not feeling well.
Oooooh... that is the favoured grass delicacy over here, too! :)

My dog eats so much grass, I call her Cow. She never vomits it up - but we do see it in her poo. :yuck:

·
Registered
481 Posts
More than likely its due to low digestive enzymes. It is common in aging especially to have a slower digestive system.
Do you give regular, plain yogurt ( I use the greek yogurt regular not the non fat) in the food?
I give a good size teaspoon in each meal to all of my dogs.

·
Registered
926 Posts
My guy also likes grass in the very early spring when it is growing fast and is very tender. He will sometimes nibble on long blades of grass. None of this is related to stomach issues.

The only other time he eats grass is when he is tracking and becomes frustrated with a very difficult track. I'm actually fortunate that he does this because I have learned to handle him through difficult tracks better and with more encouragement.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
Samantha and Mulligan both love to eat grass. I asked our vet about it a few years ago when Samantha was a puppy and he said not to worry, so long as there aren't any pesticides down (as others have mentioned).

I've also heard that it means their stomach is upset but after talking to our vet and watching our dogs regularly eat grass (especially after it is mowed) I don't believe it anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts