Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Yesterday at the university. A student called out to us, "Your dog is beautiful. I think that's the happiest looking dog I have ever seen!" It made me smile. Logan is a happy boy. Pardon my big head in this photo -- nothing like a close-up. 😱😅 lol

An elderly man walked up to pet Logan. I told him sometimes Logan can get too excited and he said, "Oh, he won't for me." Sure enough, Logan sat there like a good boy and let the man pet him. He was from Maryland and said he volunteered at a large new shelter there.

When we ate outside at a Mexican restaurant Logan sat and laid there like a good boy. Our waitress accidentally dumped a container of salsa on him. I don't even think he knew it happened, but she sure felt bad. I told her it was okay and I rinsed it off. We did move so he wouldn't lick any of what hit the ground up. No telling how that would reappear if he consumed it. 🤪

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Logan had his annual today. Not to brag on my baby, but the vet said he's the best looking Golden Retriever he has seen again. :D They also say he's very well behaved and likes to do tricks for them.

His weight is 66lbs at almost 16 months, so that's down one pound from last visit. I guessed him to be 72lbs because he eats three cups of food a day and gets copious amounts of treats for training. He seems pretty solid.

His teeth received a perfect score and he got a "Great!" beside it.

After the vet, I took him to train at the obedience club. We worked on rally stuff and then headed to play fetch. We went down to the pond to sniff and walk and Logan got the zoomies on leash (he's only done that once before) in a bunch of mud and almost made me slide onto my butt! I had to hose off his feet when we got back and he was not a fan.

Logan needs a bath, but I'm going to wait until post Armageddon storm coming through tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Yesterday at the university. A student called out to us, "Your dog is beautiful. I think that's the happiest looking dog I have ever seen!" It made me smile. Logan is a happy boy. Pardon my big head in this photo -- nothing like a close-up. 😱😅 lol

An elderly man walked up to pet Logan. I told him sometimes Logan can get too excited and he said, "Oh, he won't for me." Sure enough, Logan sat there like a good boy and let the man pet him. He was from Maryland and said he volunteered at a large new shelter there.

When we ate outside at a Mexican restaurant Logan sat and laid there like a good boy. Our waitress accidentally dumped a container of salsa on him. I don't even think he knew it happened, but she sure felt bad. I told her it was okay and I rinsed it off. We did move so he wouldn't lick any of what hit the ground up. No telling how that would reappear if he consumed it. 🤪

View attachment 881335

View attachment 881336
You both look happy!

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
My husband, Brian, took Logan this morning to the pond area and tennis courts. It's a little cloudy/a little sprinkly. It's clearing up, so I'm going to get him out and about after lunch.

Anyway, while they were on the tennis courts there was a child's birthday party being held at our neighborhood pool/picnic table area. He said he had Logan off leash on the courts and four children came running in there. Logan got a good behavior report. lol One of the kids started running all over the place and Brian said Logan just ran happily alongside him and even reversed directions when the kid did staying at his side. It probably didn't cross Brian's mind to call Logan to his side. lol I do practice in agility running alongside with Logan and we do a faster pace practice for rally. Brian said he warned the kid to be careful because he didn't want Logan side bumping him or running in front of him, but the kid laughed and said, "Oh! He likes me!"

Brian said another kid came running straight at him laughing and Logan sat. A man came in and asked to pet Logan and Brian told him no jumping allowed, but he said the man said he has a retriever and approached calmly and Logan was such a good boy. Logan isn't much a jumper, but sometimes people will do excited baby talk or pat their chest encouraging such so we squelch that before it happens. When a toddler came in, Brian leashed Logan to be safe (from knocking over) as he was also running up close.

Logan does great with our grands also.

Other news: I strung six rally signs together yesterday to start working on the first course. Other than my beginner screwups, Logan did great. It really helps to video my goings on to see where I'm messing up.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I'll go ahead and post our video from stringing six signs together for our beginning attempts at learning rally. I screwed up by not starting in normal heel pace and then just cruising by the slow sign :ROFLMAO: and turning a halt left turn into a left turn without the halt. I also have my hand down luring him in this video. Funny I was so focused on reading the signs I didn't see my screwups until I watched video of us. We're working on it. ;) Logan does great.

We had our first lesson today and she seems to think we will have no problem turning in three courses for virtual rally by December, so that's good. She said it's good I'm not being over-animated -- especially if we ever want to do obedience, which she has done with Shelties in the past. I was able to keep my hand at my belly today and he kept his head up once I got him engaged. We went through quite a bit of signs today and he was doing finishes and quite a few other things nicely. Apparently, I'm doing pivots for 360s, but she said Logan sure does a pretty pivot. I told her a lot of this is in his genes and he's overcoming my ineptness. :D I also pivot for the 270 turn in this video.

Practicing Rally

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Logan did well in agility this morning. We did teeter and he doesn't seem to mind it being a bit higher, a jump then A-frame combo (he seems to really enjoy the A-frame), and we did a jump, tunnel, wide pinwheel setup and I think another jump. I screwed up front cross and confused Logan, I think, and he missed a couple of times going around the pinwheel. Also, I was totally off line once and just jumped over with Logan. I'm really good at it. Maybe I should purchase a dog costume. :ROFLMAO:

Next he gets some play time, a nap, and he has obedience class tonight. I don't usually do two classes in one day, but it's the way the schedule worked out this week.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
We’ve had such a fun day today. Logan met a new friend — a 10 month old Lab mix (I vetted 😅) named Oakley— and they had a glorious time. The kiddie pool water was disgusting, but it’s bath time anyway. We also went to the kiddie park with our granddaughters and out to lunch.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Bella would, too! She is a polar bear. She loves to swim in the mountain streams during the spring runoff. That water is so cold it should be ice, yet she loves it!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Bella would, too! She is a polar bear. She loves to swim in the mountain streams during the spring runoff. That water is so cold it should be ice, yet she loves it!
Luke was that way also when we took him up to North Carolina to hike. We will be taking Logan up for most of the summer and he will get to start hiking with us this year. No ice for summer (ha), but the water feels freezing to me. I'm sure he will love it! On a funny note, when I first got Luke I came onto this site and asked if the water was too cold in South Carolina for him and it was not even that cold here. I think it was October which still feels pretty warm here by many people's standards. People from colder climates seemed to find a lot of humor in my question. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I don't have photos from this, but I just wanted to say Logan so loves agility.

Today we did a straight line of two jumps and a tunnel. We did a wide pinwheel configuration of two jumps and a tunnel. Then we did a jump beside the tunnel & he had to turn to find the entry of the tunnel. After that we did a jump plus teeter. And then a table plus A-frame. It was Logan's first time doing a table and run to the A-frame configuration. I knew he would do it because he knows place and he loves jumping up on a table. We let him lay on the screen porch coffee table (slatted teak) in the mountains, so he knew the skill sort of. lol He's very good about waiting as I walk to my position and waits for my "Go!"

That is all. I'm happy he has found something he seems to love doing. I'm having lots of fun with it too!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Last night I let the grands come over for a movie and slumber party. All three slept on my bed and even Logan stayed up there for about an hour. He was so good! I'm sorry for the quality of these photos, but they sure had a great time watching Raya together. Miraculously, all three children, Logan, and Abby slept through the entire night.

Grace, the oldest on the end of the couch, is eight and she loves dogs. I've been teaching her how to get his attention and give him a command. He did sit, down, and circle (spin) for her today.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Logan in our front yard today while the grands were doing an Easter Egg hunt. He's such a good boy. He wanted a basket and some eggs too. 😊

121 - 140 of 156 Posts