Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1321 - 1340 of 1340 Posts

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,321 ·
That's a horrific incident and the fact that the alligator kept trying to drag her body down after it surfaced in the article you sent - that is just super scary. Just bizarre as to why she wanted to touch it! I'm not local and I'm running far, far away when I see an alligator! 🙈

Speaking about gators, has anyone seen this/know about this btw? He goes on walks on a leash... To the parks..?? 😳

I predict something bad. Crazy they let children get around him. “We go swimming in the river together.” 🙃

· Registered
19,514 Posts

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,327 ·
Good morning!

We are back home. My next trip is to the mountains without Logan (boohoo) right before Valentine‘s Day. I will, however, be with eight (I think) little girls for my granddaughter’s 10th birthday party. I told them they could come up there and, hopefully, there will be snow tubing and such involved. Logan and Abby will get to hang out with dad for the weekend.

Yesterday was the first time Logan decided he’d rather not get on the grate with the big holes. Haha I decided that was his choice and I was good with it.

I helped teach Puppy K last night. The rest of our week involves Wednesday competition obedience and Thursday agility. I think we will practice both obedience and weaves this afternoon.

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,328 ·
Today‘s walk and tennis court fun. We saw Spencer the Beagle — Logan’s neighborhood friend. We used to have a neighborhood Beagle named Champ who loved Luke and me. Champ was always loose in the neighborhood and I thought it was a miracle he lived to old age. He would tag along on our walks a lot. Beagles are sweet dogs and apparently want to pal around with Golden Retrievers.

Dog Carnivore Plant Fawn Dog breed

Water Dog Dog breed Carnivore Tree

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Tree Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Airedale terrier Dog breed Hat

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,329 · (Edited)
We are skipping obedience class today. Besides the bad storms we have coming through (weather doesn’t generally stop us), little Abby has developed a terrible limp. She won’t put weight on her rear right leg at all. I’ve noticed Abby lately is slow moving after she’s been lying around for a while. She’s seven and I’ve been thinking she’s just getting a bit older. She also sometimes can’t quite make her first jump up onto the couch. Abby hasn’t had any health problems much — she never even gets ear infections with those big floppy ears. She hates getting in water, so those two things may be connected. Occasionally in the last month I’ve also noticed a very slight limp, but it would go right back away.

Yesterday I checked her paw pads really well, bathed her, and trimmed her toenails. I noticed while bathing her she didn’t want to stand up without support either and Abby usually stands for the entire process. Last night when I brushed their teeth, Abby yipped when I repositioned her gently. So, we are off to the vet this afternoon.

On a I really messed up note, when I got Abby her breeder called me right before I was supposed to pick her up. She told me her husband was heading through Columbia and he could just deliver Abby. When he dropped Abby off, I asked for her papers and he said he forgot them, but his wife would get them to me. Earlier in the process when I visited the breeder to see Abby, she had asked me if I would just meet her at her friend’s house because she was going to be in Charleston, SC and that would be closer to where I was at, which was Kiawah. So, I did. Abby was way bigger than the other Cavalier she had there & I chose Abby because she looked less frail and she was more animated and followed Luke everywhere he went like she was immediately smitten. She remained smitten until He passed away.

Somewhere in there were definite red flags. So, I moved on along with my new puppy and about a month later remembered I didn’t have her papers. I had friended the breeder on FB sometime during the process. I called her while doing carpool for the grands one day and she was very flustered. She said, “Diane, I’m not sure where those are! I will have to go through my things to even see what litter it was. I will get back with you!” I didn’t hear from her ever again and went to check her Facebook and she had blocked me!

I know this is my fault for not checking Abby’s breeder out the way I should have. I just trusted a friend’s recommendation who owned Cavaliers. With Luke, I didn’t even know K9data existed. That was also word of mouth and checking out the breeder’s website.

Anyway, I have no idea if Abby has a history of hip dysplasia or anything else.

I’m going to be hopeful and maybe Abby has just sprained something. I’m a bit worried. She certainly still seems very interested in her meals and has no other symptoms.

· Registered
Ramses, golden retriever bred in France 😆
762 Posts
So sorry to hear about Abby 😟 I hope everything's going to be ok.. Sending positive thoughts and hope it's nothing serious..

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,333 ·
So, the vet said Abby could possibly have a torn cruciate ligament. They gave her NSAIDs until her physical on February 9th. If she continues limping, they will do a sedated x-ray to check for sure. If she needs that surgery, it will be an eight to 12 week recovery.

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,335 ·
Logan was so crazy in agility today. Lolol I guess there were some factors involved — it rained all day yesterday, so we got no exercise. I did train him a couple of times though. Also, it was our second time on Alison’s new field which is sand/dirt and today it was damp sand. I’ve only seen Logan on sand at the beach and at the lake and, I don’t know why, but it brings out the zoomies.

So, today we got to agility and I could tell Logan was excited to be there. He walked in with me though and was fine while I talked to Alison. Then we started doing the course and on the first two starts he got the zoomies and then took off around the edge of the field for the full perimeter. I called him and he came back over and started working. The course was more difficult and we missed a few turns and I tweaked my hamstring a little. Then Logan was spot on and fast, doing his thing as per usual. We did weaves and it had been a while and he aced them. When we finished one of our runs through the course, I told him he could go get some water. He went over to his bowl and drank some and then he nose dived into my training bag. I thought he was grabbing Darth Vader (a toy), but then I realized he was not coming up for air. He had knocked over his cheese treats bag and was chowing down. :ROFLMAO: Once I got him back, we did a couple of more agility runs and were done. Cuckoo doggie.

I got home and made a sandwich. Every once in a while I will give Logan and Abby a piece of cheese from my slice. Logan was sitting there staring at me and I said, “I know you’re joking.”:LOL:

I’m going to take him for a walk next to make sure we expend some of that energy. Lol

· Registered
1,294 Posts
So, the vet said Abby could possibly have a torn cruciate ligament. They gave her NSAIDs until her physical on February 9th. If she continues limping, they will do a sedated x-ray to check for sure. If she needs that surgery, it will be an eight to 12 week recovery.
Just a heads up, at some point about 15 to 20 years a go, "cruciate ligament" surgery was the thing, Everybody in the agility group seemed to need it.
Some opted in and some opted out, results were inconclusive.

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,337 ·
Just a heads up, at some point about 15 to 20 years a go, "cruciate ligament" surgery was the thing, Everybody in the agility group seemed to need it.
Some opted in and some opted out, results were inconclusive.
Thank you. Little Abby doesn’t do much that is real active. The vet (not the one I normally see in the practice) said it was an usual injury for a small dogs. I’m going to see how she does on the NSAIDs first. I won’t rush into surgery unless it’s something dire.

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,338 ·
So, I took Logan for about an hour and a half walk today which turned out to be happening. I had gone about a mile and a half and decided to take him down to our pond area. A loose dog — about Logan’s size, but more muscular came running up to us. I had Logan on leash and got in between Logan and the dog, but of course the dog was more interested in Logan than me. I was telling him no and another loose dog ran up — a bit smaller. I figured they were together. They were mixed breed dogs — Bully/Lab/I don’t really know Heinz57 mixes. Cute, but big enough to cause issues if they were not friendly. I was moving Logan along and telling them no and they were running and circling us and such. I decided by the time I got out of the pond area towards the road they were younger and didn’t appear to be aggressive, but I didn’t want them up on Logan. They had on collars and tags.

Luckily, my friend Christine, who lives right behind me, came walking up with her two dogs, Wallace (little Terrier) and Zippy (Penn-Marydel Fox Hound - pretty big.) They all know each other, so I held Wallace while Christine checked their tags and was about to holler out the phone number to me so I could call their owner. Zippy is nine and very well trained for fox hunting/is steady, so he was fine off leash and could have cared a less about those two dogs.

Right as I was dialing, we saw a man approaching from out of the woods. He looked sheepish and said he was sorry they got away. He was holding their leashes. He asked if they behaved because they can get rambunctious.

So, any kind of unpleasantness was avoided and I stayed there to talk to Christine. She was taking Wallace & Zippy back into the woods/watershed area and asked me to come with them. I let Logan off leash to run and romp with Zippy and they had the best time. As we were heading back out of the woods I saw a man from afar approaching with a dog. We leashed up our dogs and as we got closer we realized it was the same man, but he only had one dog. I asked, “Did your other dog get loose again?” He looked embarrassed and said yes and they were only around two years old, so he guess he should stop trusting them off leash. Meanwhile, we heard terrible yipping coming out from across a field in the woods. He went heading that way. On the other side of those woods is a busy shopping center and road. He started trudging that way and Christine was looking at me like good grief and said that made her stomach hurt.

We headed on out of the woods and when I got Logan back into my Bronco, I decided to drive back behind the shopping center because you can see a big swath of the watershed area where the dog’s cries were coming from. I didn’t see him or the man anymore, so hopefully he got him.

I have thoughts. 🙃

Anyway, here’s photos of Logan and Zippy romping around having a good time.

Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Mammal Tree

Plant Dog Carnivore Tree Natural landscape

Plant Dog Tree Natural landscape Wood

Dog Carnivore Tree Dog breed Plant

And this one is from earlier on before all of our excitement:

Water Sky Dog Carnivore Dog breed

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,339 ·
We had a lot of fun at field training today and ended up being out there almost two hours for a one hour lesson. Cara and I were catching up since we haven’t seen each other since we completed Junior Hunter.

This was our first lesson working towards Senior Hunter.

Logan worked on Walk Ups for the first time and was very good at those. He remained steady beside me and when I stopped walking, he automatically was sitting.

“Walk-up: Used to simulate hunting. The dog is not brought to the line and sat before the birds are shot. Instead, the handler, with the dog at heel, walks toward the line as the birds are thrown. Usually as the birds are in the air, the judge tells the handler “You may sit your dog.” Just like running the dog from the line, the handler still cannot send the dog until the judge so orders.”

We also worked on Back and started work on blind retrieves.

Back: A directional signal with a raised arm for the dog to move away from the handler. A verbal command, generally used to send the dog on a blind retrieve, although, in some areas of the country, it is also used to send the dog for marks rather than using the dog’s name.

Blind:

1. A retrieve on either land or water where the dog does not know where the location of the bird or bumper is, but the handler does. The handler sends the dog to the location, and if necessary, further directs the dog with whistles and casts.

Logan did great today. Cara said she could see all of Logan’s competition obedience training showing up because of how well he did staying at heel, sitting when I stopped walking, and how steady he is by not jumping/lunging to go after the retrieve until I sent him even though the winger went off as we were in motion.

Dog Carnivore Sky Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Sky Companion dog

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,340 ·
The Duck Tollers are doing another WC/WCX at Cara’s place this spring. She’s going to ask them again if we can participate. We were rejected last year. Lol If not, we will find another one. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to try at Cara’s place again anyway. Logan was so good at his JH test in Cheraw, SC and, earlier, when we had tried for our WC at Cara’s he was out of sorts. I wonder if it was because it was his normal training grounds and he’s not used to seeing so many dogs there? We’ve taken mostly private lessons on her grounds. Unsure. Maybe it was just seeing a gathering of Poodles. Haha

Here’s Logan from today. We had a nice long walk, played a couple of times, and trained. It was a good day. We see so many birds in our watershed area. Today we saw geese, ducks, and egrets.

Tomorrow is competition obedience in Spartanburg.

Water Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Water Dog Sky Carnivore Dog breed

Sky Building Twig Trunk Tree

Water Bird Window Building Plant

1321 - 1340 of 1340 Posts