Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1301 - 1320 of 1340 Posts

· Registered
Ramses, golden retriever bred in France 😆
762 Posts
Funny, since I grew up in Europe and high heels were fact of life, it's possible thats where the dislike started, but I think I don't like the fact I don't know what's under there...
bet you Logan feels the same way.. :)
So you know!!! I don't know how they do it. Finnish women wear heels in snow that makes me think my feet will all freeze and fall out 🤣 maybe they are used to it..! I totally agree with you! I don't like heels either and I'm a very sneaker oriented/fancy hiker boots person! We work in labs and field trips lugging equipment. Very possible for Logan 😊

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,302 ·
Funny, since I grew up in Europe and high heels were fact of life, it's possible thats where the dislike started, but I think I don't like the fact I don't know what's under there...
bet you Logan feels the same way.. :)
Gators and lots of bubbly water for overflow, I guess.

I added the bug photo for more excitement. He was on the siding of my house by the front door. A big sucker. 😅

Wood Fence Wall Facade Pattern

Brown Insect Eye Arthropod Wood

· Registered
762 Posts
Oh yes those bubbly water overflow! Yes that must be strange..

I laugh at the bug because I think of spiders back in France and Ramses used to play with them as a puppy, pawing at them and watching them run. One morning, he put one in his mouth. My husband had to ask him to open his mouth and take it out.. I am sorry I don't have normal stories 😆🤦🏽‍♀️

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,304 ·
Oh yes those bubbly water overflow! Yes that must be strange..

I laugh at the bug because I think of spiders back in France and Ramses used to play with them as a puppy, pawing at them and watching them run. One morning, he put one in his mouth. My husband had to ask him to open his mouth and take it out.. I am sorry I don't have normal stories 😆🤦🏽‍♀️
Theres nothing normal going on here either. 😂

· Registered
762 Posts
Brian and I saw a huge alligator 🐊 today sunning on a bank. We took a wide berth. Logan never noticed it.
Alligators sunning? 😭 That's my Frenchman's dream to see that. He's been fascinated by the show Gator boys - I think that's what it's called. On the other hand, I'm having the fear of God put in me... Don't know if you saw the thread on the forum of the guy with the 30 racoons living with him - that one made me all kinds of sick 🤢 Logan shouldn't see that one either..

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,307 ·
Alligators sunning? 😭 That's my Frenchman's dream to see that. He's been fascinated by the show Gator boys - I think that's what it's called. On the other hand, I'm having the fear of God put in me... Don't know if you saw the thread on the forum of the guy with the 30 racoons living with him - that one made me all kinds of sick 🤢 Logan shouldn't see that one either..
I went to check to see if I still had the video and I do — here’s one I took when I had Luke in 2017. Abby was with me also and we were up on a bridge that went over a lagoon. They are quite creepy and this one was making a clicking sound. When I see gators I think of that Betty White movie titled Lake Placid. It made me laugh so much, but in my mind they are like that one. :ROFLMAO: I had thoughts the gator would fly up in the air and get us.

· Registered
762 Posts
I went to check to see if I still had the video and I do — here’s one I took when I had Luke in 2017. Abby was with me also and we were up on a bridge that went over a lagoon. They are quite creepy and this one was making a clicking sound. When I see gators I think of that Betty White movie titled Lake Placid. It made me laugh so much, but in my mind they are like that one. :ROFLMAO: I had thoughts the gator would fly up in the air and get us.

Oh it's huge!! Your voice is very reassuring though considering the alligator is anything but.. Were your dogs curious? I'm not sure what Ramses would do. He's got a propensity to check everything out - so I always feel like I have to manage what's around us. I know that movie Lake Placid - it was part of my childhood like Jaws 🤣 I'm not so confident though. I'm thinking maybe the bears in Europe were not so bad after all. My husband would love to see an alligator though - it's becoming an obsession for him🤣 I will show him this video you took

· Registered
2,813 Posts
Oh it's huge!! Your voice is very reassuring though considering the alligator is anything but.. Were your dogs curious? I'm not sure what Ramses would do. He's got a propensity to check everything out - so I always feel like I have to manage what's around us. I know that movie Lake Placid - it was part of my childhood like Jaws 🤣 I'm not so confident though. I'm thinking maybe the bears in Europe were not so bad after all. My husband would love to see an alligator though - it's becoming an obsession for him🤣 I will show him this video you took
I was reading this gator conversation and remembered that my daughter took a photo of the best swimming hole in Costa Rica when she went there in high school......
Water Water resources Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Lake

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,310 ·
They were curious. I think they’d go up trying to sniff one. Y’all moved to the wrong state if he wants to see an alligator. :LOL:

· Registered
762 Posts
I was reading this gator conversation and remembered that my daughter took a photo of the best swimming hole in Costa Rica when she went there in high school......
View attachment 899442
OMG -- that's one too many. Too scary 🫣 I'm not as comfortable with reptiles. Movies of the childhood warned me to not go close 😂 Your daughter has nerves of steel!

They were curious. I think they’d go up trying to sniff one. Y’all moved to the wrong state if he wants to see an alligator. :LOL:
Hahaha I do love it here. It's beautiful and most importantly giving me very non alligator vibes.. 🤣 but I won't put it past my husband to go for "an adventure" just to see the alligators. I have been tricked into things like that. He brought me to check out snakes one time like that. Never again..! 🤣

On the whole Europe is definitely very boring when it comes to all this. I can only remember bears and they tended to avoid humans actually. That's why they were always being chased not the other way around 🙈

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,312 ·
OMG -- that's one too many. Too scary 🫣 I'm not as comfortable with reptiles. Movies of the childhood warned me to not go close 😂 Your daughter has nerves of steel!

Hahaha I do love it here. It's beautiful and most importantly giving me very non alligator vibes.. 🤣 but I won't put it past my husband to go for "an adventure" just to see the alligators. I have been tricked into things like that. He brought me to check out snakes one time like that. Never again..! 🤣

On the whole Europe is definitely very boring when it comes to all this. I can only remember bears and they tended to avoid humans actually. That's why they were always being chased not the other way around 🙈
I bet it is beautiful. I’ve only flown above Portland —prevented from landing due to fog. It’s on the list for visiting one day!

· Registered
1,294 Posts
From today’s second walk. Logan, Brian and I went over five miles today. And we played fetch. Brian and I saw a huge alligator 🐊 today sunning on a bank. We took a wide berth. Logan never noticed it.

View attachment 899429 View attachment 899428
Not quite sure how I feel about alligators, when I was dog sitting in SC on Cat island, I was warned by the host, not to walk on the golf course, because somebody's small dog was snatched by an alligator. Bit disconcerting.

· Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,318 ·
Not quite sure how I feel about alligators, when I was dog sitting in SC on Cat island, I was warned by the host, not to walk on the golf course, because somebody's small dog was snatched by an alligator. Bit disconcerting.
You definitely have to practice caution and keep an eye out for them. They generally only travel during mating season. Otherwise, they are either in the lagoon or up on a bank nearby. I saw one on a golf green once and decided I didn’t really need to putt out on that hole. Haha And the one time I almost stepped on one, he had traveled down a very narrow creek which was a water hazard on one of the holes. I was looking for my ball and almost stepped on him. Brian (husband) was already up on the green. I just backed out of there rather quickly and hollered there’s a gator down here. Brian loves me enough I think he’d wrestle one to save me. Lol

On a more somber note, this happened a year or two after we sold our former home on Kiawah:

I won’t even get near the edges, much less wade out into a lagoon. It’s just bizarre — especially for anyone local to the area. They generally know better.

· Registered
762 Posts
That's a horrific incident and the fact that the alligator kept trying to drag her body down after it surfaced in the article you sent - that is just super scary. Just bizarre as to why she wanted to touch it! I'm not local and I'm running far, far away when I see an alligator! 🙈

Speaking about gators, has anyone seen this/know about this btw? He goes on walks on a leash... To the parks..?? 😳

1301 - 1320 of 1340 Posts