Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
961 - 980 of 994 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thank you! He is very expressive. We are heading back to Columbia, S.C. to experience the sweltering heat. I’m sure I’ll be back up here in no less than a week because all we can do there is get up very early to swim in the pool.
Hasn't been much better up here. Supposed to be 98 tomorrow... ugh.. How much cooler is it typically in the mountains?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #962 ·
Hasn't been much better up here. Supposed to be 98 tomorrow... ugh.. How much cooler is it typically in the mountains?
It’s about 15 to 20 degrees cooler than where I live. (Mid nineties there for this next week, but the humidity makes it feel much worse.) The next week’s highs here in the mountains are in the mid 70’s and the lowest low I see coming up is 59 degrees in about 10 days. September, October, and November are really nice up here. Especially, October because the leaves change.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It’s about 15 to 20 degrees cooler than where I live. (Mid nineties there for this next week, but the humidity makes it feel much worse.) The next week’s highs here in the mountains are in the mid 70’s and the lowest low I see coming up is 59 degrees in about 10 days. September, October, and November are really nice up here. Especially, October because the leaves change.
That is enough of a difference for sure.. It has been mid 90s here all week to.. Mountain temperatures sound much better.. lol

·
Registered
Ramses
399 Posts
I don't understand how you guys manage the 100s! 🥵🥵 Is this a norm for you guys? In Central to Northern Europe these temperatures have been unheard of. And air conditioning - that doesn't exist here! So this summer has been very brutal; but up north we get decent temperatures so far - 71.6F apart from the occasional 80s - not to mention my golden is spoilt by not having to return home yet... I'm dreading going back to Furnace France - that should be our new slogan 😂

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #966 ·
I don't understand how you guys manage the 100s! 🥵🥵 Is this a norm for you guys? In Central to Northern Europe these temperatures have been unheard of. And air conditioning - that doesn't exist here! So this summer has been very brutal; but up north we get decent temperatures so far - 71.6F apart from the occasional 80s - not to mention my golden is spoilt by not having to return home yet... I'm dreading going back to Furnace France - that should be our new slogan 😂
Yes, in July and August it’s generally 90s to 100 and w/the humidity we end up with a 100+ real feel sometimes. We didn’t have air growing up here and I sweltered — so hot.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #972 ·
It’s warm (not horrible though), so I invited the grands to wear out my child again. Lol

Logan will fly through the air off an embankment into cover and then pond water, but he is slinking into the pool from the side like a snake. Last year he only went in via the stairs. This year, he’s doing the snake action from the side. Maybe next year he’ll leap. Lol He was very interested when the grands were jumping in from the side, so maybe he’ll watch and

He likes his King of the Pool pose:

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Working animal

Water Smile Dog Dog breed Sky

Water Smile Dog Plant Carnivore

Grace was playing with her LOL dolls with Logan watching:

Water Sky Dog Dog breed Cloud

Head Dog Carnivore Smile Dog breed

Snake entry action. Lolol

I’ve tried running beside him and tossing something into the pool to no avail.
Water Green Plant Carnivore Diving mask

Water Dog Blue Azure Swimming pool

Water Water resources Plant Swimming pool Watercourse

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #973 ·
Logan’s second obedience session at Happy Dogs begins tomorrow. Each session is six weeks long. I hate we had to take that three or four months break (I can’t remember anymore!) when our last school shut down, but sure am loving our new place. We are heading up to the mountains after our noon class and it’s predicted to be in the 50s at night by Friday. Glory be! :D

We will train today as we took yesterday off. I’m going to ask them to demonstrate some of the heeling games. They gave us a card with heeling drills which are clear/easy to understand, but I’m not sure what some of the games are. We’ve been able to practice a few.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #976 · (Edited)
We drove to Wellford for obedience class today. It was a start to a new session and we had a Havanese, a very handsome Golden Retriever, a yellow Lab, another dog I can’t remember, and us. Logan seems to notice the Havanese. It has hair to the floor and a bow on it’s head. Probably smells pretty too. Haha It’s so groomed I’m thinking it may be a conformation dog. He doesn’t bother it — he just watches. Perhaps wondering what it is. Lolol

We worked on heeling and Figure 8’s. I didn’t know we were moving on to the Figure 8’s, but it works out for me because at the last minute, I threw my cones into the car to head up to the mountains — so I have props for training this week. My rear cargo area is full of dog training supplies. I used to have agility jumps in there also, but we’ve been on summer break. I’m fully prepared to do obedience & field training.

Anyway, Logan had his A game on and did very well in obedience.

When we got to the mountains, I took him on a nice walk and let him romp around off leash in the meadows. It’s going to get down into the 50s at night for the next 10 days or so — yay!

Dog Carnivore Tree Dog breed Fawn

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Plant Fence

Dog Carnivore Tree Plant Dog breed

Dog Tree Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

·
Registered
105 Posts
Logan seems to notice the Havanese. It has hair to the floor and a bow on it’s head. Probably smells pretty too. Haha It’s so groomed I’m thinking it may be a conformation dog. He doesn’t bother it — he just watches. Perhaps wondering what it is. Lolol
😆 Reminds me of when we met a Borzoi a couple months ago…the look on my girl’s face so clearly said, “What is this?” 😂 (I kinda felt the same way…🤣)

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #978 ·
😆 Reminds me of when we met a Borzoi a couple months ago…the look on my girl’s face so clearly said, “What is this?” 😂 (I kinda felt the same way…🤣)
I’m not much of a small dog person. I thought, “Oh look — a Tribble (Star Trek reference) with legs.” Hahaha That dog will probably get its OTCH. 😂

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #980 ·
Another walk and romp in the meadows. The flowers are from our backyard here. There are so many beautiful plants out there.

We were going to hike, but it’s kind of misty, drizzly at times and there are so many slick rocky areas. It’s clearing up tomorrow for about 10 days.

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Flower

Plant Flower Plant community Tree Natural landscape

Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Shrub

Flower Plant Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant

961 - 980 of 994 Posts