Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
941 - 960 of 994 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #941 ·
Oh, and when we were near the bottom of our trail we saw a couple. The lady told me Logan was gorgeous and then told me there were two bully dogs down in the water. She said the man had asked them if there were any dogs down there and she told him no. He said he wanted to let his off lead and one of them wasn’t very friendly. 😬 We thanked her and turned around. An angel in disguise.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #943 ·
Today’s one and a half hour walk (I’ll try again):

We were on the soccer field. I kicked the ball and got it in the net. Logan chased it a bit and then turned around looking at me like “I can’t pick that up, Momma.” Lol

Dog Plant Carnivore Tree Fawn

This is our across the street neighbor’s house to the left. This is kind of an easement where we can cross through. She has a little terrier of some sort who is scared of big dogs. Logan gives him space. We saw bear scat on this trail. That may be an overshare. Ha

Plant Vertebrate Natural landscape Tree Fence

This is right at our front gate/entrance area:

Plant Dog Flower Grass Carnivore

He got his feet a little muddy going into a creek:

Dog breed Carnivore Whiskers Companion dog Terrestrial animal

Right as we were heading off the meadow. He loves being off leash on the meadows:

Dog Carnivore Grass Fence Dog breed

Down at the recreation center. We are loading up on water. :)

Dog Smile Sunglasses Dog breed Plant

Heading to the recreation area — a little bridge and creek:

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Logan and me at the recreation center right by the soccer field:

Dog Smile Carnivore Dog breed Outdoor furniture

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #944 ·
Sitting here feeling real relaxed trying to decide what Logan and I will do today. Brian is going golfing. I think I’ve zeroed in on letting him run free on our meadow and taking him to Cashiers Park to do some obedience training/heeling exercises. Perhaps after that, we’ll stop and get some lunch.

He mostly thinks I’m real lazy right now.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #945 ·
We decided to head out to the meadow to play and then walked to the neighborhood overlook. Logan is sporting a new bear bell our friend, Kari Anne, gave to him. Her parents have a home in the mountains of Tennessee and have even had a bear show up in their kitchen. That would be stressful. Lol

Dog Green Plant Carnivore Grass

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Tree

Plant Dog Natural landscape Tree Land lot

Cloud Sky Dog Ecoregion Tree

Plant Dog Carnivore Natural landscape Sky

Plant Plant community Green Natural landscape Tree

Dog Plant Fence Carnivore Dog breed

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Pet supply Fawn

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
1,280 Posts
We decided to head out to the meadow to play and then walked to the neighborhood overlook. Logan is sporting a new bear bell our friend, Kari Anne, gave to him. Her parents have a home in the mountains of Tennessee and have even had a bear show up in their kitchen. That would be stressful. Lol

View attachment 894661

View attachment 894668

View attachment 894669

View attachment 894666

View attachment 894664

View attachment 894665

View attachment 894667

View attachment 894662

View attachment 894663
does the bear bell just attach to his collar? Did you have to introduce him to it slowly? My friend was going to bring some when we went hiking in Big Bear, Ca, but she forgot them (We were on a relatively popular trail though, and thankfully saw none). Beckett has potty bells that lord knows he loves to ring for fun, but curious if the bear bell is louder/more intense.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #949 ·
does the bear bell just attach to his collar? Did you have to introduce him to it slowly? My friend was going to bring some when we went hiking in Big Bear, Ca, but she forgot them (We were on a relatively popular trail though, and thankfully saw none). Beckett has potty bells that lord knows he loves to ring for fun, but curious if the bear bell is louder/more intense.
It just sounds like a Christmas jingle bell — not real loud. Logan didn’t even seem to notice really. He’s so happy out and about, I don’t think he minds he’s jingling. Lol

Now, a bear horn is super loud. When we hike, if we are on a heavily trafficked trail we don’t take them. If we are hiking in more quiet places, I bring bear spray and my husband brings a bear horn.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #951 ·
I realized I didn’t answer one part — yes, it attaches to his collar via Velcro.

It’s just like this one:

And I’m glad you asked because I just threw that bag away yesterday and it’s still in the trash. I didn’t know it was for silencing it while he’s wearing it. 🙃

·
Registered
Ramses
399 Posts
Oh, and for a laugh — I saw this in the Q&A section 😂:

View attachment 894744

These bears (especially brown bears).. they are really insanely smart! But sadly, I haven't managed to do an interview with any of the ones I have encountered 🙈 We used to have quite a number of them in Finland, you could see them in the forests too while walking/hiking.. Interesting times 😝

Logan looking amazing as usual 😅

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #954 ·
From today’s hike and lunch after. Just to give you an idea of what we encounter as we hike:

1. Two young couples bum rushed us right as we got out of the car with the baby talk and beautiful Golden stuff. Lol It’s the only time Logan got a little excited, but they were in need of some training themselves. Lolol

2. A man with what looked like a cross between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a St. Bernard maybe. The dog was cute, big, seemed young, and off the chain. He was moving that man even on a front clip harness. I like Whiteside Mountain because it has a wider trail than many. Luckily, we were where I could get Logan off to the side and put him in a sit. The man struggled by with the dog acting bonkers. The man thanked me. Logan held his own. Some lady complimented me on him holding his sit through all of that.

3. Tons of kids running up wanting to pet. One was a young girl and Logan does great with kids. Well, apparently the baby (maybe close to two) who was on her momma in a backpack wanted to pet also. The lady came over and dangled the baby over Logan ( 😂 ) as he sat and he held his sit. He did sneak in a big lick on the other child’s face, but dog spit is what you get in these kinds of situations. Lol

4. Some sort of little Doodle dog and this man didn’t look pleased I didn’t want Logan nose to nose with his dog.

5. A big Lab and an Australian Shepherd. We got by them fine, but boy those Australian Shepherds have intense stares — like a focused Border Collie, but he was focused on Logan.

6. Heading back was entertaining because there were two kids being swung by their parents on either side and then we go down a series of steps — probably 40 or so — that were covered in water and mud. We were all piled on top of each other — a group of about 10 strangers and us — and Logan did slow so well coming down the steps. The little girl in front of us was running them and fell. The mom said it wasn’t her responsibility to always have to tell her to slow down. The kid was about five and the steps were very wet and muddy. My vote is mom could have spoken up before the kid bought it. Lol

That was it, but boy hiking trafficked trails can be happening.

Oh, and at lunch a little demon dog came flying out from under the table barking/growling as we left the restaurant. Logan barely glanced at him because I had promised him a piece of chicken and was doing the delivery. Lol

Logan gets an A+ as an excellent and happy hiking buddy.

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Plant Road surface Natural landscape Wood Terrestrial plant

Dog Smile Carnivore Cap Dog breed

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Whiskers Fawn

Chicken for my salad and for Logan:

Food Dishware Ingredient Recipe Gesture

Sweet kisses:

Glasses Head Smile Dog Goggles

Right before his water break. Luckily, the trail is completely shaded until we get to the view. It’s so refreshing with lots of running water on the way.

Sky Dog Plant Cloud Carnivore

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Tree Leaf

Dog Plant Dog breed Working animal Carnivore

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #956 ·
Gold star ⭐ to Logan for being such a good boy and also to his mama for training him so well!!!
Thank you. The little dog at the end made me laugh (hysterically) on the inside. People are so clueless. If I had a tiny dog, I wouldn’t want him charging after big dogs. That could go south quickly. 🤪

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
1,280 Posts
I realized I didn’t answer one part — yes, it attaches to his collar via Velcro.

It’s just like this one:

And I’m glad you asked because I just threw that bag away yesterday and it’s still in the trash. I didn’t know it was for silencing it while he’s wearing it. 🙃
thanks for the recommendation! Glad you were able to save the bag in time!!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #958 ·
Today I let Logan romp around on the meadows for a while and then we headed over to Cashiers Village on the Green Park and I let him sniff, we walked, and we trained. I practiced attention drills with him on the walkway as people walked by. One man came by and said, “Look at that good boy watching you!” I met a nice young woman who said she grew up with Golden Retrievers, but she and her husband have a German Shepherd because he wanted a dog trained in protection. She said she really misses having a Golden. Logan was very sweet to her.

They were setting up for some sort of festival at the park and there were a bazillion trucks, workers, and tents being set up. I walked Logan all in and out of there. He doesn’t care any more. I love it up here because the weather is cool enough I can keep him out and about a lot. We are heading home tomorrow because my son is coming home (YAY!) from D.C. for the weekend. I’ll head back up here next week.

Dog Plant Tree Carnivore Grass

Flower Plant Dog Carnivore Grass

Flower Plant Petal Groundcover Grass

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Flower Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape

Leaf Nature Botany Cemetery Grass

Dog Carnivore Tree Fawn Companion dog

Plant Dog Tree Fence Carnivore

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #960 ·
the scenery is absolutely beautiful and just love all his different expressions..
Thank you! He is very expressive. We are heading back to Columbia, S.C. to experience the sweltering heat. I’m sure I’ll be back up here in no less than a week because all we can do there is get up very early to swim in the pool.

941 - 960 of 994 Posts