Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
921 - 940 of 994 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #921 ·
My mom’s family is from SC…gotta love their “French”… I’m thinking of “Debbydoo” 🤣
Ha — we like Kiawah and a friend of mine from up north called it Kia-wuh. I told him southerners do not talk like that. It’s Ki-uh-WAAAH.

I can’t say smile correctly apparently. It sounds like smoul to me coming from my mouth and people always think I’m saying smell. My husband’s name is Brian and they think I’m saying Brine. 😆 I don’t even have a thicker accent.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #922 ·
Obedience class was fun today. We worked on attention, heeling, chair fronts, which I have never done, and push/pull both sitting and standing.

We have one more class this session and then our next six week session starts August 10th. They will be on Wednesday’s next session, which works better for me.

Logan did great.

·
Registered
Ramses
399 Posts
They pronounce it in South Carolina twang, much like a would. It’s not a real thick southern accent here in Columbia. I’m sure it sounds nothing like it does by a person whose native language is French. :ROFLMAO:
Hahaha! I always wonder about these different accents.. Different is good I guess.. same accents would be so boring I think! Not to worry, I'm sure we will be good candidates for our strange accents.. My husband's more so than mine since he's French. When we first met and I hadn't yet learnt French, I thought he kept telling me he was angry when he was actually meaning he was hungry (the French don't pronounce 'h'). It still happens sometimes. Hotel, hail.. hello.. 🤣🤣

Have to Google what chair fronts are... Meanwhile my golden and I have done nothing productive since coming here.. 🙈

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #924 ·
Abby is now seven years old. Happy birthday sweet girl! She actually turned seven yesterday and I’m just now posting because yesterday was go, go, go all day long. I couldn’t believe she let me wrap the rubber band thing on this hat twice around her little head. She also received a stuffed duck which she rejected within 60 seconds and Logan happily played with it thereafter and she also received a deer chew. Nom, nom.

Party hat Dog Hat Carnivore Costume hat

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #925 ·
Oh, and I finally hit a wall today — which I rarely do. I’m usually go, go, go. Logan has come up a couple of times and plopped his chin on the sofa and looked at me out of the top of his eyes. I told him to pretend mommy is sickly for the day. I finally got up and played fetch with him for a bit.

He’s so smart. I gave Abby that stuffed duck for her birthday. One of the times when Logan walked up to me I asked him “Where’s the duck?! Where’d you put it? Go get the duck!” Well, the first time I asked his head perked up and he glanced in a particular direction. When I told him to go get it, off he went in the direction he had glanced and brought back that duck toy. It was back behind me somewhere and across the room. I know that’s a momma proud moment only (hahaha), but it amazes me what he understands when I’m talking to him.

·
Registered
365 Posts
He’s so smart. I gave Abby that stuffed duck for her birthday. One of the times when Logan walked up to me I asked him “Where’s the duck?! Where’d you put it? Go get the duck!” Well, the first time I asked his head perked up and he glanced in a particular direction. When I told him to go get it, off he went in the direction he had glanced and brought back that duck toy. It was back behind me somewhere and across the room. I know that’s a momma proud moment only (hahaha), but it amazes me what he understands when I’m talking to him.
They really are wonderful. I have had Boxers, Great Danes, Yorkies, Malteses, Collies and this is my first Golden.. I had a sign made up for our kitchen...

Dog Picture frame Carnivore Dog breed Wood

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Abby is now seven years old. Happy birthday sweet girl! She actually turned seven yesterday and I’m just now posting because yesterday was go, go, go all day long. I couldn’t believe she let me wrap the rubber band thing on this hat twice around her little head. She also received a stuffed duck which she rejected within 60 seconds and Logan happily played with it thereafter and she also received a deer chew. Nom, nom.

View attachment 894407
Happy Birthday Abby!!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #930 ·
It was hot/muggy first thing this morning. Ready to head back to the mountains — Thursday it will happen.

Today, we may end up swimming again. I’ve been training Logan and one thing we are working on is tightening up his sit. I bought an 11 X 11 box and he can sit on it. He looks at me funny when I get excited over that. Lol I wonder what dogs think of us? I’ve also been standing over him and scooting his legs in when he sits sloppy. Hopefully, a light will go on and he’ll clean it up as we go along. Oh, and when I do chair fronts I make sure to use my legs/feet to tighten him up before any rewards (verbal or treat.)

I meant to share the last time we were in the mountains I saw a man walking a Golden Retriever who is white. She is sweet and small, I think, even for a female Golden Retriever. He asked me, “What kind of dog is that?” :D I said, “A Golden Retriever” and he said “Oh, he looks different from what I think of as a Golden Retriever.” :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, it always throws me off when people ask that. This is clearly a Golden Retriever:

Water Cloud Sky Dog Boat

I don’t know what I’m going to do with Logan today. Swimming may be our only option for exercise unless we just play indoors. If it rains, maybe we can head out to play for a bit. We will train also periodically through the day.

Happy Sunday to y’all!

·
Registered
Ramses
399 Posts
I meant to share the last time we were in the mountains I saw a man walking a Golden Retriever who is white. She is sweet and small, I think, even for a female Golden Retriever. He asked me, “What kind of dog is that?” :D I said, “A Golden Retriever” and he said “Oh, he looks different from what I think of as a Golden Retriever.” :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, it always throws me off when people ask that. This is clearly a Golden Retriever
Logan looks 100% golden retriever to me and I'm just saying as an ordinary person - not experienced, not an expert/ethical breeder that has structure etc in mind... What kind of dog can Logan be otherwise.. ? 🤔

Happy belated to your Abby 😊

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Logan looks 100% golden retriever to me and I'm just saying as an ordinary person - not experienced, not an expert/ethical breeder that has structure etc in mind... What kind of dog can Logan be otherwise.. ? 🤔

Happy belated to your Abby 😊
Well, he COULD be a Chihuahua.......slightly over breed standard?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #935 ·
YAY! It wasn’t miserably hot today and we were able to set up a field training session. It was so nice to see Cara and Logan did great. Cara shot off three bumpers and I had Logan retrieve one and then another. Each time he brought it back to heel position/hand. Distance is getting longer also. Then I walked him to the other peninsula that juts out into the pond and sent him to retrieve the third bumper.

Cara also has me put him into a sit for a long while at times. The first time she has me do it when we arrive and she talks about 10 minutes. During the lesson I put him in a sit and she walks off, gets into her mule, drives a last and sends a bumper into the pond via a winger, then drives back and has me send him.

I was so proud of him. She says he looks great.

My pretty and sweet boy:

Water Dog Sky Plant Carnivore

Water Cloud Plant Sky Tree

You can see his head bobbing along in this one heading towards a bumper:

Cloud Water Sky Plant Tree

This one also:

Water Plant Sky Cloud Natural environment

:love::

Water Dog Sky Dog breed Plant

And a video of the bumpers (ha):

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #936 ·
Oh, and I’ve contacted two separate retriever clubs. One is the Cherokee Foothills Retriever Club (HRC) and the other, which I just contacted today, is Palmetto Retriever Club (AKC). Palmetto would be closer and my trainer pointed out to me today their training days are at Cooper Black, which is where Logan will be trying out for Junior Hunter. She said it would be beneficial to get him there so he can get used to being there — which makes sense. So, I’ll see what they say when they contact me. She thinks their numbers have dwindled, but I noticed on FB they’ve recently listed training day schedules.

Edit: I take that back — they are close to the same distance away.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #937 ·
This morning we got up and played fetch for a while and then we drove to Spartanburg for obedience class. Logan did great there. We worked on:

1. Fronts w/guides.

2. Attention — Logan has staring up at me for 30 seconds down pretty well.

3. Heeling. She wanted people who have attention down pretty well to start heeling longer distances. Logan and I went a ways, took a right turn, went a ways again, and took another right turn. She walked around to distract us and asked me if I noticed, but I honestly didn’t see her. She said that was good because she could tell I was as engaged with Logan as he was with me. I guess that will go south if I ever walk into a wall. Lolol

Oh, and it made me happy because LuAnn said Logan and I look so cute heeling together — she said he’s precious, so happy, and really paying attention to me.

4. The Rah exercise. I’ve never done this. So, I put Logan into heel and tell him to wait. I have a flexi lead attached to his collar and start walking away from him (expecting him to stay put, of course.) If he turns his head away from me (I can see in the mirror), I’m supposed to yell “RAH!!!” loudly and run forward tossing a treat. Comments: She said I need to up my Rah excitement (lol) and I used to be head cheerleader when I was young before I started playing sports myself. I think I’ve mellowed with age. Anyway, the point of the exercise is to make him pay attention more because he’s thinking I’m going to Rah and toss a treat. They said someone mentioned they think it rewards them for looking away, but they don’t think that’s the case with the distance — so we did it. It seemed to help. Logan is doing better with not looking away when my back is to him.

I signed up for the next session. It starts August 10th. I love this new school so much. Both the instructors are awesome.

After class we drove up to Cashiers. These photos are from the short walk I took upon our arrival. We’re taking Logan to dinner with us tonight.

Dog Plant Tree Carnivore Dog breed

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Tree

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Tree Companion dog

He’s such a sweet boy.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
We hiked Glen Falls today. I slipped and fell. Nothing to do with Logan, although I dropped his lead as I went down. He came back to make sure I survived. :ROFLMAO: It’s a pretty hike, but steep down with loud of roots. No injuries here except a bruise.

We went to lunch after.

View attachment 894597

View attachment 894605

View attachment 894606

View attachment 894604

View attachment 894603

View attachment 894601

View attachment 894602
View attachment 894600

View attachment 894598
That's a good boy, checking on his Momma....

921 - 940 of 994 Posts