Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
841 - 860 of 884 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #842 ·
We had fun at obedience class. Logan barked hello about halfway when we entered the building, but he did well once we got going. We worked on attention, taking the first step in heeling, and some cool impulse control type stuff I’ve not done. I commanded Logan to get in heel position, told him to wait, pulled his lead forward to where it had constant tension on it (but he had to stay firmly put because I said wait) and I slowly brought a treat down the lead towards his nose. He had to keep his nose put, keeping his attention on me, and not reach for the treat with his nose any. Obviously, the closer the treat gets the more tempting it is. If he did what he was supposed to do, I could reward him with the treat. Kind of fun and Logan caught on.

Another was to dangle meat (strings of ham) over his head and slowly bring it down. He couldn’t reach for that either.

I give Logan his treats that way sometimes — slowly coming down from overhead and his job is to wait for it, so I think that helped.

I need to come up with more phrases to say to Logan to let him know he’s doing a good job:

“Look at you!”

“Great job! You’re amazing!”

“You’re the smartest boy in the whole wide world!”

“You’re a superstar!”

And so on. They don’t want us repeatedly saying “You’re a good boy” over and over because she said he will tune it out like background noise. For some reason that’s the phrase that pops into my mind and out of my mouth. I feel like I need a giant Nerf sledgehammer to smack me in the head when I say a word I’m trying to from my mouth I’ve been using often. My agility instructor practically had to beat me to get me to stop using Logan’s name so much.

The instructor said she made flash cards of encouraging phrases, read them often, and they started popping into her head when she trains.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
We are going to lunch and on a hike today. Plus, I need to train Logan. We get homework assignments each week.

I’m fortunate because Logan’s vet from Columbia has a home up here where we are and Brian (hubby) golfs with him. I’m sharing this because we saw him and his wife yesterday. They have an eight year old Golden who has cancer. She is defying the odds and living much longer than they expected! She looks good. She is from the same breeder as Luke was, but she looks much younger than Luke did at eight years old. I think he looked older because his face turned white so quickly. They also have a new eight month old black Lab. Apparently, the Lab came from the same breeder as the one who bred Reese Witherspoon’s dog (no idea who - ha), but that dog is beautiful. They said he’s quite lively. Haha. I was happy to see they had a pinch collar on him because now I know my vet also doesn’t think they are cruel.

Anyway, I didn’t have Logan with me at the time so he didn’t get to meet their dogs. They saw Logan the day before though and my vet’s wife kept saying how absolutely gorgeous Logan is. Logan sat there so sweetly. She asked how I got him to do it (lol) and I said well, I’ve been training with him and he’s two and a half and your Lab is eight months and raring to go. 😅

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #848 ·
We just got back from out hike. We did Whiteside Mountain again and then headed to lunch at a BBQ place. On the hike, Logan was admired greatly and got petted by about eight to 10 children. One time it was a group of five and a little girl bear hugged him from behind. He thought that was an invitation to play, but reeled it in when I told him to sit. They were so cute.

At the restaurant an adult man sat on the ground beside Logan (lol) and Logan did the wooglies on his back. Later a pre-teen kid tried to engage him in a game of chase (?!!) lolol and I had to reel that in real quickly. After that, he just hung out and petted Logan. The waitress fell in love with him. Logan enjoyed all the attention.

Oh! And something Logan does now that I love is he automatically comes back into place beside me when he sees people coming up on the trail. He also is auto sitting for kids/petting without me having to tell him.

At the top taking a break and having a drink:

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Sitting by his daddy when I had gone inside to get us some drinks:

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Sweet boy. He was so good today:

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw Gesture

Logan stays with me step by step when we come down these stairs:

Dog Light Road surface Plant Asphalt

My hubby walking ahead of us. That’s his Middle Fork of the Salmon River t-shirt from where we camped and white water rafted 100 miles down a river in Idaho:

Plant Shorts Plant community Bermuda shorts Tree

That man in the blue shirt is the guilty party who got down on the ground with Logan and got him rolling around. :ROFLMAO:

Dog Umbrella Carnivore Dog breed Whiskers

At the top of Whiteside Mountain:

Dog Plant Sky Carnivore Fawn

The beautiful view:

Cloud Sky Plant community Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #849 ·
I was training Logan today and a little bummed because I need some distractions. We’ve been on the go all day and I was too tired to head out. Well, not to worry — first a golf cart full of people came up to look at the house being built next door. Logan trained through that like a pro.

Next, while we were working on heeling all heck broke out with two big dogs barking insanely. I looked up and my neighbors up the hill were coming our way. One they’ve had a long time and she is pretty reactive. Well, apparently their son bought an Australian Shepherd and decided it was too much for his young family, so my neighbors took the dog on. It’s a pretty dog. He was all out bonkers. The neighbor lady is probably about 10 years older than me and she was having a hard time handling that dog.

Logan stopped for a bit looking away because it was quite the show. I was just hoping she didn’t let go. Brian was on our screened porch and said he actually jumped up and ran out the front door because he thought dogs were attacking us. I didn’t see him. We have a lot of trees out front between he house and the road. Anyway, I called Logan into heel and we just kept on keeping on. I figured it was good distraction training. He did so well once he saw I was going to keep on with the heeling training. I was very proud of him.

The neighbor lady gave up and took the Australian Shepherd back to her house and her husband kept walking the other dog. I heeled Logan down behind our trees for a minute so she could get by without the dog pulling her over. As we were finishing up training she came back down the hill. She said the dog was really giving her a hard time. She said she got it in December and when it was younger it wasn’t so crazy — now it’s reacting to everything, including golf carts and cars. I asked her about training and she is thinking about taking him somewhere. She’s been sick and her dad was sick and passed away recently, so that’s why she hasn’t been going to training.

I told her the dog is an adolescent, probably feeding off her other dog, and young dogs (especially big active dogs) simply need consistent training — especially in the first few years. She said a local trainer suggested a shock collar. I told her I use one for field training and when I let Logan be free when we are hiking or on the meadows. She said her dog is wearing a prong collar and he is still dragging her. I explained to her how to make a correction. I also offered to come help her, but she really needs to get the dog into a regular training situation.

I did tell her she needs someone experienced to e-collar condition the dog. He needs to at least understand basic commands before she can use the e-collar.

Anyway, it was more happening than I can make it sound in type. I got my desired for distractions. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #853 · (Edited)
This morning we are back in Columbia. I came home from the mountains because it is my grandson’s birthday. We had a great walk and visited my daughter’s yard because we enjoy her displays. Logan had another great children moment. As we were heading towards my street, around the corner came two moms, a stroller, a baby, and five kids ranging from about three to ten-ish. They asked to pet Logan. He was so good. Sat the entire time. I thought the swimming noodles would throw him off, but he didn’t notice them.

Anyway, busy busy. We’ll train later. I may let him swim early evening and give him a bath.

Dog Vertebrate Mammal Carnivore Fawn

Plant Building Window House Sky

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #856 ·
It rained all day long until around 3:00 p.m. It stopped and Adler’s birthday party was at 4:00, so just in time. We walked over. Logan did so well. There was an inflatable water slide in my daughter’s front yard. It was huge. My grandson wanted to give Logan some cake, but we opted for Goldfish. Lol The photos of Logan are on the walk home. In the one where he is lying down, he is waiting for the mail lady to make our mail delivery.

Smile Facial expression Happy Gesture Leisure

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass Fawn

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Tree

Dog Plant Carnivore Grass Tree

·
Registered
Ramses
247 Posts
Happy birthday to Adler! 😊 Hope he had løts of fun!! He's so cute and Logan too 😍 My golden would have stayed still but drool all over the place. Ramses understands there will be cake on birthdays (he never gets human ones). But he remembers on his own birthday that he got a banana cake and that memory has stuck to him unfortunately 🙈

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #858 ·
I swear. We keep getting earthquakes. I was at the doctor earlier today and we had one while he had a needle in me and he said he thought it would bruise, but it didn’t. That was just a low rumble. We just had another one and it felt bigger. Both dogs ran to the door. It rumbled at least 10 seconds.

·
Registered
Ramses
247 Posts
It's a very interesting place to study for earthquakes due to the location.. I had anticipated more on the west coast of the US where I'll be heading to.. but I digress 😬 take care and stay safe. I had lived in Japan as a very young child during the Kobe earthquake (1995) so I hope there's some good safety drills for you to follow in the event of a earthquake... Take care 🙏🏽

841 - 860 of 884 Posts