Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
801 - 820 of 884 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is anyone else getting the ad with a toe ate up with a fungus? Ewwww. I have not been searching toenail fungus. I keep telling it to stop showing me that nasty toe. :ROFLMAO:

Here’s Logan seeing the ocean for the first time:

View attachment 892150

He was like, “Whoa!!”

View attachment 892151

He also saw a deer close up in our yard and the deer here are so used to people & dogs. I forgot about that. Luke and I could get right up on them. This one was in the front yard of the house we rented. Logan sat and stared and again looked like, “Whoa!!” The deer stared at us and then kept munching the man’s flowers. Lol

View attachment 892152

And one more:

View attachment 892154
Beautiful! =]

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
Logan says good morning.

We are babysitting because my son-in-law broke his foot and my daughter has taken him in for surgery.

We just have Adler (4) at the moment, but will get Grace (9) and Charlotte (7) at noon — it’s their last day of school.

Logan will be enjoying a rare day of leisure.

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Sky

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #804 ·
I’ve been notified of competition obedience classes coming up in Wellford, SC beginning on June 9th. It’s about the same distance as the last ones I took that went defunct — about an hour and 35 minutes away. A nice lady that trained at Dog Trainer’s Workshop told me about them. She’s an instructor there. I’m hoping to get in an 11:00 in the morning class since it’s so far away and going in the evening is rough with that long of a drive. I will ask them if I get there an hour early if there’s somewhere I can walk or play fetch with Logan because I think it’s hard on a dog to travel that long and then immediately have to go to work in a classroom.

Anyway, it’s this place:

The classes aren’t listed on that link, but I received the flyer with the schedule via email.

Looks promising. They hold train like you trial events. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #808 · (Edited)
Logan and I got out of the house earlier this morning so we could do field training before it‘s unbearable out. Our lesson was at 9:00 and we stayed in the shade/no swimming because Logan has a small sore on his leg I’m currently doctoring.

He did great training! We worked him with four bumpers — placing them each in a different place while he watched from a distance. I then sent him to retrieve them one by one and he got all four.

After that we worked on casting. She said Logan is excellent at casting and that’s great. Even when his back was turned to a bumper we had thrown out and then another was thrown in the opposite direction, he seemed to know by hand signal which one we were sending him after. Smart boy. This is only the second time we’ve worked on that really. I throw multiple tennis balls at home in different directions and send him after them by pointing at which one I want him to get. Maybe that has helped. 🤪

I’m still waiting to see if we got into our new obedience class. I’m crossing my fingers and toes because I really want him to take obedience and I live in an obedience class desert. Plus, them being during the day would help so much because they are so far away.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #809 ·
I’m in Seattle and Logan is home with my brother and taking walks with a man I know named Thomas who is a dog trainer/walker.

My son, Brian, graduates today with an MILS. Yay! I’m so proud of him. He also has an MBA and a job, plus another one (hopefully) being offered soon. He will move to DC in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I’m in Seattle and Logan is home with my brother and taking walks with a man I know named Thomas who is a dog trainer/walker.

My son, Brian, graduates today with an MILS. Yay! I’m so proud of him. He also has an MBA and a job, plus another one (hopefully) being offered soon. He will move to DC in a couple of weeks.
It’s such a warm and wonderful feeling when good things happen to our kids, especially when it’s a hard earned achievement!! Congratulations!!

• Love

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #811 ·
It’s such a warm and wonderful feeling when good things happen to our kids, especially when it’s a hard earned achievement!! Congratulations!!
Thanks, Julie! He’s such a good person and so smart. I’m excited things are going well and he’s happy. It’s wonderful, of course, also to get to see him. I’m glad his two year stint in Seattle is done. It’s a cool city, but I need him closer. :)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #813 ·
I received an informational email today and a list of items I need for our new competition obedience class:

Clicker (I own quite a few. I prefer a marker word.)

Light colored soft training treats. (Logan likes mozzarella string cheese, so I’ll cut that up.)

Treat pouch or clothing with easily accessible pockets. (I hate a treat pouch, but own a couple. I don’t like delivering treats I’ve retrieved from pants pockets. I may wear a shirt with a pocket and wear a treat bag to easily refill my shirt pocket. Sometimes I spit string cheese from my mouth. He likes that game.)

Collar — no harnesses. (Makes sense. Lol)

6” tab on collar (My tab is 12”. I’ve now ordered a 6” tab handle. At my last obedience class we used shoestrings.)

6’ leash — leather and 1/2” wide. (Dang it. Mine is 4’, so I’ve ordered a six foot version now.)

Flexi leash (!!) — I do not own one of these, but will hit the pet store tomorrow.

Front guide (It says if you have one. I made one and then realized I used too big of PVC piping, so mine looks real special. Lol I may go tomorrow and get smaller piping cut for it.)

Toy that my dog loves. (Easy.)

Bathmat or small rug. (I guess for a place spot for the dogs?)

Crate w/pad big enough to go under it. (Mine is soft and I will check to see if it will fit on my yoga mat.)

No photos today. Logan gets a bath after field training tomorrow, so I’ll try to get photos tomorrow. I trimmed about a 50 cent piece size area on his leg with scissors where he had a hot spot. It has scabbed over now. I didn’t send him to the vet for it because I have the medicine and the vet uses clippers and cuts away too much hair IMO.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #816 ·
Field training today. Logan was a good boy and had fun. We did doubles on water and land and casting stuff.

Cara has 14 puppies right now and one lady helping her. She looks sleepy. Lol

Here’s Logan:

I brought him home after and gave him a good bath and blow dry and trimmed his toenails and feet. I’ll finish the rest of his trimming when I get back from picking up Abby (at vet), going to get the rest of Logan’s supplies for obedience, and going to get a mani/pedi myself. Busy.

Dog Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Dog Car Vehicle

Water Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed

Water Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape

Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Wheel Tire Dog Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 ·
Our first obedience class in the new place went great. I really liked the two instructors — they were easy to understand and pretty chill. There were two other Golden Retrievers in the class. One was a conformation bred Golden (”Cross”) and the other a field Golden (don’t remember that dog’s name.) I was happy to see the field Golden because comparatively, they often make Logan seem chill. Lol

This was truly a beginner class and we worked on things like attention/the name game and treat toss games. Logan’s all over that kind of work. haha

When I started my last obedience class, we were truly brand new at it and they were doing Open exercises — with the dogs often all off leash in the same area. I really felt like I had thrown myself into the frying pan. This class seems to actually be for people who have not done obedience — well, at least with the dog they have in that class. Everyone was super friendly and one of the ladies, who had a Doberman, told me she was at Dog Trainer’s Workshop before. I felt like I maybe had seen her or at least her dog. I’m not sure though because there were several Dobermans there.

Anyway, not as bad a trip when getting to day travel. I considered it a success and am glad we found a new class to attend.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Reading about your training day made me realize I really have to start that with the boys, they come...sometimes, they sit...sometimes, down's good...sometimes. I think you get the picture! lol

• Haha

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #820 ·
Reading about your training day made me realize I really have to start that with the boys, they come...sometimes, they sit...sometimes, down's good...sometimes. I think you get the picture! lol
I never tried to do much of anything with my last Golden competition wise. I honestly didn’t know much about it. I tried taking Luke to agility way back when, but Luke did not have enough get up and go to desire to do it. He wasn’t very food motivated and the lady would toss a piece of cheese into the tunnel trying to get him to go in. She stationed me at the far end of the tunnel. Luke would look at the cheese, then look up at me on the other end, and then stroll around the tunnel to me. 😅 I could get him to do it, but the enthusiasm was not there. The only time he would ever take off is when he was younger and I let him chase sea birds. He always broke chase and returned to me. He would literally sit 10 ft from a bunny and they’d both just stare. He was just excited the bunny friend would let him get close. Same with cats even though we didn’t own one.

Logan has a lot more get up and go and that makes me happy because he’s game for a lot of different things. If I wasn’t training him and doing with him, I think he’d get bored quickly. If I let him, he’d tree a squirrel or chase a bunny in a heartbeat. Lol Luckily, if I say “Un unh” he is able to turn that off on lead and not lunge at such. He has zero interest in cats except for watching them. He must know they are suspect. 😂

801 - 820 of 884 Posts