Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
561 - 580 of 591 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was grumpy today to a neighbor. I guess she was a neighbor -- I didn't recognize her or her dog and I thought I knew all the dogs. Her dog was ahead of her and pulling at us as they were coming up the road. He was a pretty hefty looking Lab. I politely told her Logan couldn't greet her dog. I could tell by her trajectory and smile they were heading up to us. I especially do not want Logan greeting dogs pulling like crazy. Logan was actually holding his own and not returning the excitement.
I just read your "grumpy neigbour" post, which gave me a chuckle...
We have a neighbor few houses down from us, in the country it's about 1/4 mile and I have asked her to stop, when she rushed towards my pup, who was just grasping the "don't talk to strangers" bit...
I asked her not to come any closer and Thanked her when she stopped.
Beside the fact that we are on "lock down" so not really in to getting close to anybody, I simply prefer a quiet doggy walk without having to be sociable. ;)
About a month later the same neighbor literally popped out of her hedge, scared the heck out of me, and asked why I objected to my dog being "friendly" ????
I am afraid nothing really intelligent came to mind, luckily Addy WALKED ON as asked , all I managed was
"it's called obedience training" haven't seen her since :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I also had the same kind of thoughts when I heard my brother and this trainer/walker guy repeating the sit command to Logan. It reminded me when Annette at the obedience club told me earlier on to give him a second to process and do what I asked and to stop repeating the command. I've been guilty of repeating twice, but I'm talking a string of "Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit!"
I’ve let friends practice training with Beckett just so that he will get used to obeying others, not just me, but I usually regret it almost immediately 🤣 I always try to give B 1-2 seconds (unless it’s something urgent like another dog approaching) but I guess some people want a .02 second reaction! Maybe Beckett is just slow but sometimes I worry they will make him even slower!
In general if B doesn’t sit after 2 seconds I normally tap his rear and he will sit, but it is always painful to watch someone repeat the command if he’s in an uncooperative mood. I usually jump in and tap his butt after 3 times so he doesn’t start thinking he can ignore it! It’s all about training the humans 🤣

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
I’ve let friends practice training with Beckett just so that he will get used to obeying others, not just me, but I usually regret it almost immediately 🤣 I always try to give B 1-2 seconds (unless it’s something urgent like another dog approaching) but I guess some people want a .02 second reaction! Maybe Beckett is just slow but sometimes I worry they will make him even slower!
In general if B doesn’t sit after 2 seconds I normally tap his rear and he will sit, but it is always painful to watch someone repeat the command if he’s in an uncooperative mood. I usually jump in and tap his butt after 3 times so he doesn’t start thinking he can ignore it! It’s all about training the humans 🤣
I just leave saying a prayer. 😅 Logan will recoup when I’m back home. He listens great to people we train with at obedience, agility, and on the field. He definitely listens to one sit from me. Sit means stay to us.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 · (Edited)
Logan and I have been taking a break from training. I thought we could use a rest other than walks & playtime. We get back at field stuff and agility next week. Obedience starts back in January. Logan is in for a treat when everyone converges on our house this week for the holiday. We'll have guests, including an 11 year old Labradoodle overnight guest, who will wonder why we traded in Luke for an energetic dog. :ROFLMAO:

Some man who was working on the house next door was smiling at us as I ran from Logan across the front yard yelling touch and holding out my hand. Logan has no problem catching up with me in no time flat to touch my palm with his nose.

I hope I find time for bath day tomorrow. If not, he will just get a good brushing and get his bath after pond swimming on Monday.

Here's from today's walk:

Sky Dog Dog breed Carnivore Tree

Dog Plant Fawn Carnivore Tree

Attachments

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
My sister and I have been taking an annual Thanksgiving dog photo since my last Golden, Luke, and her Labradoodle, Beans, were young. Beans is eleven now.

Luke passed in 2019 and we didn’t take one that year. I didn’t host Thanksgiving that year, which I have been doing for about 25 years. Luke died in August and I was still too sad in November to host a big celebration.

In 2020 COVID canceled Thanksgiving.

This year we were so happy to get everyone together and get back to our photo.

Smile Trousers Dog Shoe Vertebrate

Logan in the front yard. The grands and friends were out there playing and Logan loved hanging out.
Dog Wheel Carnivore Plant Collar

He couldn’t believe his good fortune to get so much attention and good loving today from so many new people. He even got turkey. :D

Dog Blue Dog breed Jaw Cabinetry

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
This is from about halfway through agility class. Logan did several of this sequence, but missed the hoop on this one. It’s the one we recorded, so here we are. I thought he did great today — especially considering we’ve only been once in three months.

Ignore the number of times I said Logan’s name. I’ve regressed over the last three months.🤪

One of you looks more exhausted than the other! Fun to watch him learn!

• Haha
Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
  • Love

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Sweet, sweet Logan. I know you will have a happy day. I love seeing how he plays with Abby. I can't believe its been 2 years already.

• Love
561 - 580 of 591 Posts