Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
541 - 560 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
Photos rom today's walk. It's chilly today! I'm heading to Naples, Florida next weekend for five nights, so warmer weather is coming. My brother is going to stay here at the house and the same dog trainer who walked Logan last time is going to give him a morning and afternoon walk. He said he loves Logan, so I guess Logan made a good impression. 😃

We walked four miles this morning.

Later, we trained weaves for agility, heeling (heel position, normal pace, about turns, halts), then we played with his tennis balls for a while, and after that we trained fetch his bumper.

Logan would like four more miles, but momma is pooped. 🤪

Plant Dog Tree Carnivore Dog breed

Plant Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
I was grumpy today to a neighbor. I guess she was a neighbor -- I didn't recognize her or her dog and I thought I knew all the dogs. Her dog was ahead of her and pulling at us as they were coming up the road. He was a pretty hefty looking Lab. I politely told her Logan couldn't greet her dog. I could tell by her trajectory and smile they were heading up to us. I especially do not want Logan greeting dogs pulling like crazy. Logan was actually holding his own and not returning the excitement.

She asked, "Why?" (I was thinking because I said so and this is my dang dog!) I replied I have worked hard to get Logan to have proper greeting manners and I did not want him participating in an over excited on leash greeting. Well, she looked like she felt sorry for Logan or something and kept edging in our direction. When her dog was halfway across the road towards us, it lunged hard and rushed on over. I told her, "I just asked you not to do that." She said "I can't help it. He's stronger than me." Nothing nice was going to come out of me at that point, so I said nothing and walked away. I'm sure my face said something. I also noticed her dog's collar was so loose, it could have easily slipped it.

I was proud of Logan. He didn't even get excited when the dog lunged over to us and walked on when I said "Let's go." Good boy. Dumb lady.

I called my husband to tell him I was losing it with the neighbors and felt a little guilty. He asked me why and said if I said something to her twice and she still didn't listen, she was in the wrong.

Anyhoo. Logan did well in that situation. 🤣

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
Logan was striking his majestic poses on our walk today. I haven't brushed him yet today, but will before our afternoon lesson because he will probably get in a pond.

Dog Carnivore Tree Dog breed Plant

Dog Plant Carnivore Tree Dog breed

We saw a Boston Terrier and a yappy little white dog (Hallie) rushing up her driveway on our walk today. Logan did great. Hallie has to be getting up there in years as she yapped at Luke most of his life also. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 · (Edited)
Gosh he's beautiful! Where did you get such a fine looking boy? What camera do you use? I am so in love with all the pictures!
Thank you so much, Hannah (or Hannah’s mom 😀 ) He's a really sweet boy also.

I got him from Robin Bowen/Prism Golden Retrievers in Ocala, Florida. She's a member here on the forum.

I'm using my iPhone 12 Pro to take photos.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
Logan and I had so much fun with our field trainer (Cara) tonight. She told me she participated in field trials. Her husband passed away a while ago and I know he was heavily involved in retriever training. Anyway, she's super nice and a lot of fun. I noticed there were signs up for some sort of retriever training something going on soon.

She pulled out a duck tonight and hurled it way out into the pond -- much further than I have. She held Logan and sent him and he bolted in to go get it. He sure swims faster in a pond than he does in our pool. 😅 He did that several times and then we moved onto land. Logan went barreling after the duck (first time we used a duck for retrieving), but when he got to it he was either sniffing it excitedly or licking it. So, hopefully he'll start picking the duck up. She has much bigger bumpers than I do, so she was working with him with those also.

I find all of this very entertaining and Logan loves being outside swimming in ponds and running on fields.

I'd say the only negative is having to come home to shampoo, condition, and blow dry because I don't get home until around 5:00 and it's getting dark earlier. We do it though because he smells like a swamp. :ROFLMAO:

I wish I had taken a photo of him coming out of the water with a duck, but I suppose those sorts of shenanigans can come later after we learn much more.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
A man rolled down his car window in our neighborhood today and said Logan was a beautiful dog. I told him thanks and he followed up with the question that always makes me want to giggle, "What kind of dog is that?!" I said a Golden Retriever and he said, "Seriously? I've never seen one look that gorgeous."

We appreciate it, but I guess I love dogs so much I can't imagine not recognizing a Golden Retriever.

A neighbor lady stopped me (she just lives a few houses down) and told me she wanted me to come over and teach Azalea (one year old English Cream) to walk on a leash like Logan. I was thinking, "Heck no. You're on your own!" :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
Logan’s obedience classes have been canceled until the New Year due to something unexpected (death of close family member of manager) at the obedience club.

I will keep Logan busy so he doesn’t backslide, although he doesn’t appear to forget much of anything. We need a holiday break anyway.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
One more thing -- I'm getting a little Cuckoo. Maybe I should say Cuckoo-er than usual.

My dog walker/trainer I hired told me right before we headed to Naples, "He is so good! He really knows heel position!" In my head (besides thank you), I was thinking "Don't you screw him up. Heel position is not the same as just casual walking." I use the command "heel" for heeling and getting in to heel position. When we are just walking in the neighborhood, I say "with me", which he does -- but he has some leeway there as long as there's no tension on the lead and he's not forging ahead. He also has plenty of sniff time on a long line. He seems to understand the difference. I didn't say this to the man, of course, because I'm sure I would have gotten the "You're crazy, aren't you?" look. :ROFLMAO:

I also had the same kind of thoughts when I heard my brother and this trainer/walker guy repeating the sit command to Logan. It reminded me when Annette at the obedience club told me earlier on to give him a second to process and do what I asked and to stop repeating the command. I've been guilty of repeating twice, but I'm talking a string of "Sit! Sit! Sit! Sit!"

Anyhoo, Logan listens to me and to our competition obedience trainers, agility trainer, and the field trainer. Perhaps I'm underestimating his skills when I worry all will fall apart while I'm away and he's hearing repeat commands. 🤪😅

541 - 560 of 589 Posts