Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
521 - 540 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
We are heading to Charleston, SC for our niece’s wedding. My daughter and all three of her children (8, 6, and 4) are in the wedding. 💗

I get nervous leaving my dogs, but I’m sure they will be fine. 😬 We will be back home early afternoon on Saturday.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Logan’s final report card from his dog walker:

“Logan was a treat to exercise. He behaved almost perfectly (a couple of squirrels and cats) and was complimented everywhere we went. Let me know if y’all ever need anything in the future!”

We will take it. 😀

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
Funny training story from a city girl out at a field/hunt style dog training place.

Our trainer said, "Let's see how Logan reacts to a duck." She pulled a duck out of a bag by its leg and proceeded to carry it around upside down by the leg with Logan following it everywhere she went with his nose right at the duck.

As I watched, the duck was basically just hanging there and she kept pulling its wing out (gently) to keep Logan interested. He was all in anyway with the duck curiosity.

All the while, I thought the duck was dead as a doorknob. It was not budging or making any noise. She eventually turned it over and tossed it up a little and it took off in flight wildly with Logan in hot pursuit. 😅 He chased the duck quite a ways as it flew away and was way far away running in circles by the next pond. She told me to call him because he was going to go in again after the duck. I did and he came running.

I must be easily entertained because I found all of that highly entertaining. I told her I thought the duck was dead so she could put me on her dumb city girl list. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We also worked on his retrieving in water and land using a bumper launcher. It was his first time seeing one of those also.

He is really having a fun time with this training so far.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #532 ·
I laughed at the duck story! Another question from a city gal - was the duck wild? Trained? Does it come back? How’d they get it in the first place? Clearly I know less than nothing about hunting 🤣
It sure wasn't coming back after Logan gave chase. 🤣 She called it a lucky duck because it was set free. lol She said she used to raise ducks.

I've only had experienced with little yellow fluffy ducks who slide down a water slide at the State Fair. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
404 Posts
It sure wasn't coming back after Logan gave chase. 🤣 She called it a lucky duck because it was set free. lol She said she used to raise ducks.

I've only had experienced with little yellow fluffy ducks who slide down a water slide at the State Fair. :ROFLMAO:
LOL!!!! He really is a lucky duck 😂

I don’t think I even have that! Beckett and I saw some ducks at the pumpkin patch this year, that’s about the only exposure I’ve had lol!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #534 ·
LOL!!!! He really is a lucky duck 😂

I don’t think I even have that! Beckett and I saw some ducks at the pumpkin patch this year, that’s about the only exposure I’ve had lol!
:ROFLMAO:

I have fed ducks before and we have them in our ponds here in the neighborhood. Not as much lately though. We have geese seasonally and Great Blue Heron.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
So, Logan has had these cowlicks across his shoulders for a while and I couldn't get them to lie flat. After we did our hunt/field training yesterday, I gave him a bath because he smells like a swamp after. I decided I was going to spend twice as much time blowing him dry across his topline. So I dried and kept drying when I thought he was dry. Hair looks great and lying flat. Doy.

We have obedience class tonight. I've been working on his heeling in short spurts and making it fun, so hopefully tonight he will do well. I plan on taking him out and about for an hour and a half or so this morning -- we walk, we sniff, we play. I'll take him another hour around 1:00 to 2:00. It seems to be what works best for him on a day he ends up being in a car for a little over three hours.

We have agility tomorrow! It's been so long. I feel, more or less, we've had a three month break from agility between us being gone in August and then our trainer having detached eye flap issues. Looking forward to getting going again.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #536 · (Edited)
Logan did so well in obedience class tonight. He heeled well, he did recalls well, he did directed jumps well, he did dumbbell retrieves well, he did figure eights well, and he did broad jumps well. We only had one glitch on directed jumps when right as he was about to jump, someone came out of the bathroom door right beside him. It threw him off and he slowed down and didn't jump. Carlene said she'll give him a young dog /newer at obedience pass on that one for now.

I was very proud of him and let him know. I was scolded a couple of times for my feet position for fronts and for the dang body English I put into my commands at times. I'm working on it and I'm calmer than I used to be. Annette told me to please say my commands louder and firmer because I'm soft spoken. I need to tell my husband she said that. 🤣

Oh, and a lady in there who is newer than me asked me if I was planning on competing and what show have I signed up for. I almost snorted, but instead just told her we were not ready yet. Anette let her know it usually takes a year or a bit more to get a dog ready for actual competition. I think Logan and I have been going for about five months now. I'm sticking with my Logan being three for us to be ready thought process that's in my head. We shall see. Annette knows more than I do.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #537 ·
Logan is on a roll. We have only been to agility once in three months and he managed to string together 14 obstacles (I believe she said) three times in a row at a good pace. Alison videoed the fourth and he missed the hoop, of course, but we got 13 recorded. 🤪 If she sends it to me, I'll share it. He wasn't quite as speedy on that run because he grows weary of our shenanigans, but overall he had a great agility day today. He's also maturing -- he hung around us a lot and when he did wander while we were talking, he immediately ran over when I called him. He's such a good boy.

One time when we let him wander off, he started running and made up his own course and made it back to us so proud of himself. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 · (Edited)
This is from about halfway through agility class. Logan did several of this sequence, but missed the hoop on this one. It’s the one we recorded, so here we are. I thought he did great today — especially considering we’ve only been once in three months.

Ignore the number of times I said Logan’s name. I’ve regressed over the last three months.🤪

521 - 540 of 589 Posts