Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
501 - 520 of 600 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
It's so beautiful we headed to the capitol and USC again today. I love letting him be around all the students and they love giving him compliments and asking to pet him.

In front of the African American Memorial:

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

the lady behind us was riding her bike and the running the stairs of the capitol building. Kudos to her energy.

Building Sky Temple Plant Architecture

Beautiful breezy day:

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

At USC's Horseshoe:

Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

I didn't realize there is a Cocky statue:

Sculpture Tree Statue Art Road surface

He's so good about putting up with my photo antics:

Dog Plant Tree Mammal Carnivore

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
Logan and I went out and about for an hour and a half this morning. I consider it a personal victory we walked by a 22 month old Doodle (who wants Logan to be his brother and Logan loves him also) with zero of Logan needing to pay him any attention. Usually the Doodle's human daddy has him off leash on his e-collar and thinks it's fine to let the dog roam into everyone's yards and to walk right up to other dogs. His mom was walking him today and she saw us from a ways away and immediately put the Doodle on a leash.

Yesterday, I had Logan in my front yard working on directed jumps and dumbbell retrieves. A man walked by and chatted with me about what I was doing after I had put Logan in his sit and walked to the other side of the jumps. Logan held his sit and the man told me he sure was well behaved.

We go to Fountain Inn for obedience class tonight. We missed last week because it was my daughter, Brittany's, birthday and we celebrated her. I saw where three of the instructors where we go qualified their dogs for a spot to compete in the 2022 National Obedience Championship in June. No wonder they have so much commentary on my bad heeling footwork. lol

We've been in an agility drought because we were out of town all of August and we've only been twice since then because my agility instructor has complications from Lasik. I hope that resolves for her soon because from what I've read what she has going on is painful. We are scheduled for agility again October 28th, so we'll see. I've been training him his weaves (using the Weaves that Wow book exercises) and stopped contacts on my own.

Monday I have the opportunity to take Logan to a place that does retriever training (hunt tests, field trials) to check it out. I know nothing other than what I've read. Thankfully, it isn't super far away.

From our walk this morning:

Water Plant Dog Sky Carnivore

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 · (Edited)
Logan and I had fun at obedience tonight. We did well in everything mostly except our heeling was definitely a bit off. Logan forged tonight slightly and he hasn't ever done that. He's keeping momma on her toes. 😅

When we went in the entry door tonight there were three kids there -- probably 8 to 12 years old with their parents. Logan got the ooh and ahh treatment in excited kids' tone. lolol I couldn't exactly say, "Y'all stop this right now!" :ROFLMAO:

He settled down though and we did well in class. We did heeling first, and moved on to directed jumps, then broad jumps, figure eights, and recalls. After that, it was retrieving the dumbbell on the flat and then over a high jump.

I went off on my own next and worked on fronts with Logan.

I will say the thing that stressed me out the most when I first started at this school is all the dogs working on so many things off leash so close to one another. Now, it's getting better for us, and I'm loving Logan is starting to consistently work off lead within five feet in an open area of other dogs doing very active things like jumping, dumbbell retrieves, figure eights, heeling and such. So, kudos to these trainers because they are definitely helping us.

The lady with the Bernese Mountain Dogs was sweet to us again tonight. She said, "You have to love how happy and full of energy your dog is. He's so beautiful also." I love sweet people. Her Bernies are very nice also. Her husband, who has Alzheimer's, talked to me for the first time tonight. It was before class and he was trying to calm the younger Bernie down. He asked if he could walk closely by me and my dog and I told him yes. Logan held his sit as they came by several times. Maybe the man is trying to help us. He used to compete in obedience. He and his wife are so nice.

Oh -- and there's a miniature Schnauzer who comes to class with his Standard Poodle sister. He doesn't participate in obedience and stays on a raised bed in the room. Logan glanced at him tonight and he let out a low growl. Logan listened and we averted being eaten by a 12lb dog. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's funny about the mini schnauzer. Glad Logan's getting exposure to different dogs and distractions. It sounds like your class is throwing in lots of Open exercises too - you guys will be so ready for the ring when the time comes! Also.. I'll trade Logan's forging for Atlas's lagging with you ;)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·
That's funny about the mini schnauzer. Glad Logan's getting exposure to different dogs and distractions. It sounds like your class is throwing in lots of Open exercises too - you guys will be so ready for the ring when the time comes! Also.. I'll trade Logan's forging for Atlas's lagging with you ;)

Haha -- I think he just surprised me because he's so good about staying in place. I'm sure he will show me all sorts of firsts by the time we are done. 🤪😅 Our heeling has been off a bit the last few times in one way or another.

Another funny thing that happened last night is when we were doing recalls. Logan runs back to me at a good quick pace, but more controlled. A Lab is in class who runs like the wind like she's outside at full speed. She was doing dumbbell retrieves beside us and doing her thing last night. She's really sweet (and fast 😅.) I said come to Logan one time right as the Lab was turning to run back to her owner. Logan thought it was a race and was coming in so hot I said "Sit!" and it was like he slid on his bottom into home base. 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #510 · (Edited)
Good morning. Logan has been so good about not destroying any of my Halloween decorations. He doesn't generally tear up my stuff, but some of the Halloween decor definitely looks like toys. He's only messed with the cute stuffed creatures going up my stairwell. He's poking his nose through the railing and getting them. So far, he has brought me the Wolfman and Dracula. I'm fortunate he grabs them and brings them right to me. "Look mom! I found a new toy!"

My mother gave me those and she passed away when I was thirty-one. I'm sixty now. I believe she got those cute things at a chain drugstore. Anyway, the world won't end if he eats one, but I hope he doesn't. 🤪 I have things my sister (she passed away a few years ago) created out of reach.

He loves those ravens also. They make sound, their eyes light up red, and their heads turn from side to side.

Wood Textile Interior design Architecture Lamp

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
Logan and I had fun today going to meet a field trainer lady. Logan had no qualms about jumping into a pond to retrieve a bumper. He does that in our pool. He would not retrieve the bumper on land. I told her I’ve never tossed the bumper on land. He fetches tennis balls for me and will retrieve his dumbbell in obedience. I will work on it and see if I can get him to retrieve the bumper on land.

A man drove up to pick up his lab and he asked how Logan was doing. She said, “He retrieved on water well, but not on land. His general obedience is stellar.” I bet the ladies at our competition obedience class don’t describe us that way. 😅

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #520 · (Edited)
Logan did very well in obedience tonight. He’s starting to get much better at keeping his arousal level down around other dogs/new dogs. He’s also not breaking away or stealing dumbbells anymore. :ROFLMAO:

We did group heeling, directed jumps, figure eights, broad jumps, and dumbbell retrieves on the flat and over the high jump. He has regressed slightly on heeling dropping his head at times. Cat told me what to work on for that. That was the only hiccup tonight. We have two more weeks left for this session.

Oh, and I put Logan in his place today (raised bed) when I knew someone was arriving at the front door. The man rang the doorbell, came in, walked around the corner into the room, and stood there and Logan didn’t budge. It made me happy. He complimented Logan’s good behavior.

The man is the dog walker I hired to walk Logan while I’m out of town Friday and Saturday until the afternoon. He’s also a dog trainer, so that’s good. My brother is pet/house sitting, but he’s not in good enough health to give Logan the walks he needs.

These two photos from earlier today on our walk.

Water Dog Carnivore Plant Dog breed

Dog Plant Carnivore Water Dog breed

501 - 520 of 600 Posts