Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
421 - 440 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
We hiked eight miles today in DuPont National Forest. When we got home, within 10 minutes Logan was bringing me a toy for play. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
So, we hiked coast to coast across England about eight years ago -- so early 50's for me. I'm about to turn sixty. I'm sure a lot of it is mindset and determination when focused on completing a goal. All I know is, after hiking eight miles yesterday, I'm glad we don't have 14 to 20 or so to hike today. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #426 ·
You visit the most beautiful places with the most handsome boy!
It is so pretty up here in the mountains of Western North Carolina. My last Golden, Luke, so loved hiking. I'm happy to see Logan does also.

Here's Luke in the same spot in 2014! We went 11 miles this day and were better supplied. 😃

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
Heat index was over 100 degrees today. My husband was nice enough to walk Logan two miles at 7:00 a.m. I then took him at noon to train (and play) in the obedience club building. We did directed jumps (trying those without the gate in between), long jumps and wrapping a cone, heeling, figure eights, dumbbell retrieves, and worked on weaves for agility a little bit. Logan did well!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 · (Edited)
I meant to share for obedience class tonight one of the trainers had asked me if I could come about 40 minutes early because she wanted to show me something. She also asked a young woman with a 2.5 year old male Aussie. She said the young woman's dog is a soft dog -- and well, Logan is more enthusiastic. 😅

I didn't know what she was going to do, but she brought her own two Goldens to class. She went through heeling, directed jumps & go outs/dumbbell retrieves with them. She wanted us to see them work and how she worked with them because one was a softer dog, she said, and one was more enthusiastic/independent. It was fun to watch them work and I saw exactly what she meant. Both very well behaved and well trained -- but you could just see the different vibes of their personalities so well as they worked and how they interacted with her and how she interacted with them. She said one needed to be boosted up energy wise and the other needed to be kept even keel.

Ronin, the Australian Shepherd, is a really handsome red tri-color Aussie. He and Logan were standing side by side and a lady who has two Bernese Mountain dogs said, "Goodness. What a pair. Both such beautiful dogs."

I thought it was so nice of the trainer to take 45 minutes of her time to teach us before class.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
Our painters are almost finished and the wallpaper hangers showed up today. We have been hiding from them mostly and this is how Logan feels about it:

:ROFLMAO:

I have been keeping him busy. We've lucked out and it hasn't been so dang hot, so Brian has been taking Logan for a couple of miles at 7:00 a.m. and then I'm able to take him for a couple more miles around 10:00 a.m. I train with him also and we play.

Our pool has an issue, but it is on the mend.

We need these people out of our house.

Logan is currently doing this. Yes, those are my very fair legs. No tan is ever had here.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
It wasn’t steamy today so I took Logan to the state Capitol and the University of South Carolina. We walked through The Horseshoe and down to the Humanities buildings and cafe. Logan loves all the activity and I love walking him through it. Beautiful day today.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
We've had beautiful weather lately -- not to hot -- so today we decided to do a swim day.

Abby gets groomed this week. She has started chewing on her ears in the last few months and I am not a fan -- it clumps them up and makes them major stinky. Other than that, she is still Princess of the house. lol

Luke never cared about this frisbee. He loved aqua dumbbells. Logan definitely prefers this frisbee.

Watching his daddy.

He's such a handsome boy. I couldn't see the lens very well because it was so bright out there. Missed a paw.

His daddy coaxing him to jump.

My sweetie.

Chilling with his Chuck-It.

I swear he loves playing with the hose more than the pool.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
Logan and I had a great training session today. He was into it and happy, I was happy, and all is well in the world. :D

I'll upload the videos. I tried getting him to retrieve his dumbbell over a jump today and we have never tried that at all yet. He did so well when I threw the dumbbell far enough and not too close to the other side of the jump. I realized when I got home and looked at my training video (oops -- wrong order -- should have looked before I left to train
😅
), he is supposed to retrieve the dumbbell over the solid high jump, not the bar jump, so we'll use the correct jump next time.

I think the only other goober mistake I made is not to have the camera lens wide enough to see the cone when were wrapping with our weaves, and I didn't capture some of his fronts, but he did great so that matters not.

Happy Labor Day! It feels like it's Sunday.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
Logan retrieving over a jump. Pardon my appearance -- it's cleaning house time today. Our painters are almost done and I can't take all the clutter.

Heeling/figure eights. Our heeling is definitely a work in progress.

Weaves:

He wrapped a cone on the one end I didn't get on the video:

Command discrimination. We've just been working close up so far in class. I need to teach him a hand signal for stand at a distance. I've been putting my hand flat in front of his face for stand when I'm close.

Directed jumps. I moved his jumps up to 22" for the first time today and he clips one once. Our fronts are sometimes very straight and sometimes crooked, but never real far off. We're working on it. I didn't make the camera lens wide enough when recording these.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Very nice job to you both! I think the heeling looks great but I am just comparing to our crazy heels. One of my new toys is a Pivo and I really like it for filming training videos on my phone when I'm alone.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
Very nice job to you both! I think the heeling looks great but I am just comparing to our crazy heels. One of my new toys is a Pivo and I really like it for filming training videos on my phone when I'm alone.

Thank you! A Pivo looks cool! I have my own tripod with a remote, but I was using the one in the obedience club and it's more difficult to fit my iPhone 12 into it. I have the large version of the phone. I think fiddling with getting my phone to fit made me forget to widen the lens. I think we've had about 14 weeks of competition obedience classes now, so our heeling is definitely a work in progress. Where I'm training is like boot camp and they like to throw every possible distraction possible into the room while we are working. It messes up my footwork more than Logan's. 😅

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Okay -- I'm home alone and obviously have too much time on my hands. :ROFLMAO:

Here's Logan watching me eat popcorn and his eyes are following my hand from the bowl to my mouth kernel by kernel. 😅 He makes me laugh.

421 - 440 of 458 Posts