Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
401 - 420 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I’d love to know which video you used to create the PVC mat for fronts. Is it on the Obedience road? Glad you and Logan are staying safe.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
I’d love to know which video you used to create the PVC mat for fronts. Is it on the Obedience road? Glad you and Logan are staying safe.
It is on obedience road in the fronts segment. I will run down stairs and take a photo of mine in just a few minutes to share. I think I’m going to flip the PVC to the backside of mine because he slows sometimes because of the bristly texture. She also suggests spray painting the PVC to black as you go along.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Here it is. I’m going to change to the smooth side. It will eventually be black on black. I bought 2” PVC sight unseen. 1.5” would be better. I cut holes with a knife and attached with zip ties.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nice job, thanks for the photos! I see the mat now in the background of her video for fronts and finishes. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Our obedience facility has a similar type of mat - it's made of rubber and fabric, and there are two square posts of wood fastened to each side. I will have to try it out with Atlas next time we go / see where they got those. Otherwise I will try my hand at DIY and make something similar to yours.

We have crooked fronts too-- I took Atlas to a seminar last weekend and the lady suggested some exercises for him to increase drive from his back end and tighten up his sit. One of them was practicing walking backwards so he learned to lead with his back end, and another was practicing prompt downs to sits so he would scoot his butt up. She also did a thing where she had me walk him between my legs so he was kinda in a walking squat - obv being very careful to do it short amounts at a time to build up those muscles. I looked and felt ridiculous doing it, but anything for the dogs lol

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 · (Edited)
Okay. I know I shouldn't laugh, but sometimes I just have to.

I took Logan for a walk today and then decided we would go out to lunch. Brian is golfing. I took him to the Ugly Dog Cafe. Our waitress sat us at a two top outside that was pretty wet underneath. I moved to the next one, which was slightly less wet -- but was still pretty wet. At first I thought it was just water, but it ended up being dark brown mud. Logan got a little on my white jeans and he was definitely getting muddy paws, britches, and tail -- but at that point it was too late. My plan was to change tables as quickly as someone left one the dry tables.

A lady walked in with a Golden Doodle and walked her Doodle right up to Logan's face. Doodle Dog immediately turned into Cujo and she was pulling it back. She said, "He's never done that before!" Meanwhile, Logan got more muddy because I had sat him when she came walking up so quickly. He behaved, by the way. I was getting perturbed (inwardly) the restaurant had sat us in a mud puddle.

About 10 minutes later the dang lady got her dog up and started walking toward us again! I said, "That's not a good idea." She said, "Why?! (she had an offended look on her face) and followed up with, "He's never done it before and I want him to know he can be friends with your dog." I said, "Well, since there has already been a negative reaction I don't think it's a good idea for them to get nose to nose yet again."

She was standing close to us and Logan was pretty soaked in the britches and tail -- like dripping. Well, we all know what dogs do when they are wet. Shake, shake, shake!! The lady was covered in dark brown mud droplets all across the front of her shirt and pants. It was A LOT. I said, "He got mud all over you." She said, "It's ok" and then she looked down and it was clearly not okay. :ROFLMAO: She then sat back down at her table and said, "Thanks a lot, Logan!" (She had asked his name and complimented his head as we ate.) It was almost like he was famous. 🤪

People at the restaurant also had concerned looks when she marched her dog over again and some seemed amused by the shaking mud disaster.

Her fault, not mine. 😅

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Good thing he didn't hurt Logan- I might've had to get in my car and go all [email protected]$ on her dog. He'd just THINK he could get up in our boy's face..

I know! She came up so quickly and close. Logan is a much bigger dog. I don't get people. Not very smart. At least ask. Her little Cujo barked insanely at another dog that came in also, so there's the second time he's ever done it. 🤪

If that dog had hurt Logan she would have been sorry.

I'm going to Hell though because I really laughed on the inside when he muddied her up. I may have been smiling. 😅

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Nice job, thanks for the photos! I see the mat now in the background of her video for fronts and finishes. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Our obedience facility has a similar type of mat - it's made of rubber and fabric, and there are two square posts of wood fastened to each side. I will have to try it out with Atlas next time we go / see where they got those. Otherwise I will try my hand at DIY and make something similar to yours.

We have crooked fronts too-- I took Atlas to a seminar last weekend and the lady suggested some exercises for him to increase drive from his back end and tighten up his sit. One of them was practicing walking backwards so he learned to lead with his back end, and another was practicing prompt downs to sits so he would scoot his butt up. She also did a thing where she had me walk him between my legs so he was kinda in a walking squat - obv being very careful to do it short amounts at a time to build up those muscles. I looked and felt ridiculous doing it, but anything for the dogs lol
I appreciate the tips! Logan can walk backwards, so that's good to know. I've been doing position changes. Another thing suggested was to get a dog balancing thing that kind of looks like a Bosu ball. Logan has a balance board. He is swimming bottom down also, but I think that will correct itself the more he swims. Someone on here (SRW) I think said he just looked like he wasn't in a hurry swimming and he probably isn't because we are just leisurely playing in the pool. I wish I knew more about field trials and such. I'll add it to the list. 😅 Logan sure loves a duck. If I put one of those in my pool, I think he would boogie. haha

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
Logan had the day off today from training. We took two walks to the tune of four miles and I played with him quite a bit. He's zonked at the moment and Abby is snoring like a sound machine.

I'm going to Seattle next month and, for the first time, boarding one of my dogs. Logan is going to stay at Dog Trainer's Workshop for e-collar conditioning. I'm nervous about leaving him somewhere, although I love this training facility and the people running it. I usually leave the dogs at my house when I travel and my brother watches them. He's having some health issues and is going to watch Abby -- my six year old Cavalier King Charles. I could hire someone to walk Logan early morning (Columbia, S.C. is hot -- sometimes too hot for much walking even in the mornings in summer), but I decided it is a good time to begin collar conditioning.

Now, I'm nervous because in my dream world Logan and Abby would be on our private jet flying to Seattle with me. I don't have any, but I may need Valium. 😬

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
Logan and I did heeling training yesterday (figure eights, halts, about turns) and some dumbbell retrieving/fronts. We've only walked today -- four miles -- and played with his ball some. I'll train again tomorrow and then the next day we head to Fountain Inn for obedience class -- no tropical storm expected this week.

I contacted our local kennel club about conformation classes and they said they are down to five members as everyone is aging out. Some people on their FB page have been asking for conformation classes also, but the club's responses only seem to be in the context of suggesting other places to find classes. I offered to join via PM and didn't get a response. I think going to conformation classes is going to end up being a traveling experience also.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
We had a fun time hiking today. Logan loves it so much. A lady and man asked if they could pet him and then asked if they could take a photo of him. He was very sweet to them -- they said their Golden had passed recently and it made their day to see such a beautiful Golden.

We have to go to Fountain Inn for obedience class tomorrow night. Wednesday we are going to a new hiking place -- Dupont State Forest.

My beloved and my soulmate. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
Alrighty, just did:

Dumbbell retrieves
Heeling -- about turns, fast, slow, normal, halts, right and left turns
Figure eights
Command discrimination, and
a few more dumbbell retrieves with a butterfly providing some great distraction. Logan only paused and glanced once and then went back to his dumbbell focus.

We are done until class tomorrow night.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
Logan did well in heeling last night, so I thought we were in for a banner obedience class.

For the rest of class he decided he wasn't much in the mood. He did retrieve a few times well and did nice fronts. We've been working on fronts. He also retrieved a metal bowl in the corner when I tossed his dumbbell close to it.

He did command discrimination well, but definitely slow rolled me on recall.

I was telling a friend and she said it was the full moon. :LOL:

401 - 420 of 458 Posts