Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
341 - 360 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
That lady is right...You DO have a problem with your dog! I've only seen photos but I want to pet him too! It's funny that goldens are the 3rd or 4th most popular breed but most people have to ask what kind of dog they are when they see one.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
That lady is right...You DO have a problem with your dog! I've only seen photos but I want to pet him too! It's funny that goldens are the 3rd or 4th most popular breed but most people have to ask what kind of dog they are when they see one.
Thank you! I once had a lady at Kiawah Island ask me that about my last Golden, Luke. I responded “A Golden Retriever” and she said “Oh! I own a Golden Retriever.” 🤪

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
I had to take Logan to the vet when we got home from the mountains. We've been letting him play in the neighborhood dog park area because there's hardly ever any dogs and it's a big three acres or so fenced in. Well, for the second time he got a rash and then a skin infection. We decided to just avoid that area from now on. I think something is biting him in there.

I'm not whining though -- this is actually a brag/happy post. For the first time since COVID our vet is allowing owners to bring in their dogs. Now I know why they compliment him all the time. He was like a model citizen. When the vet walked into the room Logan walked over and sat close in front of her looking up like he was doing a "front" command. She smiled so big and told him he was such a good boy.

He went up on the table like a pro. Logan weighs 66lbs, so I'm liking that. He's been right at that weight for three visits now. He looks great. It wasn't his regular vet -- it was the vet who helped put Luke to sleep. She brought up Luke and said I was so brave through all of his sickness. She also said she really wants a Golden and I'm not helping her resist bringing Logan in there because he's perfect.

The tech said she is obsessed with Logan. She asked me if I had just given him a blow out. I had just brushed him because we go places looking properly groomed. 🤪 I felt compelled to tell her my dog grooming blowdryer request for my upcoming 60th birthday.

Logan received treats and tons of attention. I can see why he likes that place. 😅

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
We head to Fountain Inn tonight for the beginning of our second round of obedience classes. We started late for the last session, so we got either five or six weeks worth -- I can't remember. Each session lasts eight weeks though, so that's what we are beginning tonight. I've been working on Logan picking the dumbbell off of the floor and bringing it to me. He's doing well not kicking it or picking it up by the end -- and so far, he's not chewing on the dumbbell or anything.

Agility was canceled yesterday due to rain. It looks like it will be good to go for Thursday.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 · (Edited)
Last night's competition obedience class was happening. It's the beginning of a new eight week session and I didn't think about it being new dogs. There were two Bernese Mountain dogs, a pretty Australian Shepherd, a Standard Poodle, a Portuguese Water Dog, a Lab, and a Brittany Spaniel -- plus Logan. I believe Logan had seen three of them. Anyway, Logan was a little more excited, but did his off leash work without running to the other dogs.

Oh, and on a sad/sweet note -- as I was entering one of the instructors let me know one of the men in there has Alzheimer's. He was with his wife and the two Bernies. She said he doesn't really communicate much, so if he didn't respond if I talked he wasn't being rude. She said he loves being there with the dogs so they are going to let him come as long as he wants to and is able. 💗

On Logan's first dumbbell retrieve, he went around it and bee-lined to the corner of the room. I didn't even see the thing, but it was a metal bowl -- Logan's absolute favorite toy. 🤣 After that, he did fine though and did a nice pick up and front/hold/release (I use "give it) the dumbbell.

We did heeling practice -- around the room and then figure eights. A lady I was doing figure eights with was so nice helping me as to how to best do them.

After that we had one on one heeling practice with the instructor walking behind us giving commands. It was my first time for that. I was told to go home and practice heeling without my dog (oops!) because, apparently, my heeling footwork needs improvement. When I did an about turn she said, "What was that?!!" lol I did it right some, but that time my feet definitely did not cooperate. She also hollered "left turn" once, which would have walked us right into the wall. Luckily, I had it together enough to not follow that command.

I was told during group heeling Logan and I do very nice transitions changing speeds -- we did fast to slow and then normal. Although I don't enjoy jogging, I do change speeds when we walk for practice and Logan is very good at running along beside me.

We practiced long jumps and Logan did great going over, wrapping a cone, and coming back to me.

Anyhoo -- not kicked out yet. 😅

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sounds like a great class and classmates! You guys did a lot in one session. LOL at "not kicked out yet" - that is literally what my husband and I say to each other on every drive back. 🙃

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
Sounds like a great class and classmates! You guys did a lot in one session. LOL at "not kicked out yet" - that is literally what my husband and I say to each other on every drive back. 🙃

I keep thinking of the Keystone Cops. :ROFLMAO: We are the most inexperienced in there, so it's like throwing ourselves into the frying pan. It's helpful to learn around experienced people. We do cover a lot. It's so much coming at us at once. I generally start out bumbling along at new things, but I'm not a quitter and we are coming along. I look at the ones who are experienced and know we will be there one day.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Today is my sweet Abby’s sixth birthday. This photo makes me laugh. I took it this afternoon and this depicts how Abby feels if Logan wants to play rambunctiously and how Logan feels almost all the time. View attachment 884415
Happy birthday sweet Abby! Her ears look so fluffy. Love the pic, Logan is a happy boy!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
Agility went great today. Logan is really getting into the groove with it. We did tunnel, jump, jump, A-frame (target then release), I sent him ahead to a jump and to blind cross as he went through the tunnel, then (jump, jump, jump in pinwheel configuration.) We were mostly working on sending him ahead to jump and then turn to tunnel as I ran to blind cross and get in position. We also worked on wrap a cone and teeter. Logan didn't miss a beat today and I was on a roll also. Oh, and we've been varying having a target plate there at times and sometimes not to fade the target.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
I took Logan today to train at the obedience club on our own (directed jumps, heeling, and fetch the dumbbell) -- and then he swam and had a bath. He's very serious about it in these photos 😅 . I still need to trim him. His new dryer came in, but of course not until he was almost completely dry. I'll use it next time to see how it does from a completely wet state. I can tell already I'm going to really like it. It's quite the piece of equipment. I wonder if I can dry my own hair with it? I have a lot of hair. :ROFLMAO:

I see Abby peeking out the door at us.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I took Logan today to train at the obedience club on our own (directed jumps, heeling, and fetch the dumbbell) -- and then he swam and had a bath. He's very serious about it in these photos 😅 . I still need to trim him. His new dryer came in, but of course not until he was almost completely dry. I'll use it next time to see how it does from a completely wet state. I can tell already I'm going to really like it. It's quite the piece of equipment. I wonder if I can dry my own hair with it? I have a lot of hair. :ROFLMAO:

I see Abby peeking out the door at us.

View attachment 884427

View attachment 884428
That's his regal look....

341 - 360 of 378 Posts