Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
321 - 340 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thank you! I will listen to it.

Long ago (15 years) I did a fitness contest where I was on stage in a bikini and what I call stripper heels (clear and five inches high.) I'm sharing this (lol) because I have terrible stage fright. Somewhere along the way I read about how visualization helps, so every time I got on the elliptical train I would visualize myself walking out on stage confident and doing all my turns correctly. It really helped!! I thought I would be shaking in my boots/crazy high heels, but it was sink or swim time and I swam -- thank God. :ROFLMAO: When I was on stage I wasn't thinking about the judges. In that case, I was thinking about the Mexican food and margaritas I'd be having soon and also I heard my son (who was15 at the time) yell, "Go Momma!" and it made me smile.

For me, all of it ended up feeling like a victory not because of winning, but for obtaining the goal I had set for myself which was to do my best with exercise and nutrition to get on stage and also, not to pass out from fear. lol (FWIW, I placed 1st in one and third in the other -- everyone worked so hard and looked great.)

Back to dogs -- I suppose when I get nervous training Logan it's because of my own ineptness at times due to lack of experience and also because I'm worried about Logan might do. My agility instructor says to remember I'm having fun with my dog and he WILL do the unexpected at times. So, I guess you have to learn to laugh. lol

Back to fitness -- I was most impressed with a girl who literally fell on stage because of the ridiculous amount of pro-tan and oil -- eight coats for my white body (makes me laugh now) -- anyway -- she got right back up and kept on going and did great. I'm sure if she had Mexican after, she enjoyed her margarita also. :D
LOL! That is great. Moral of the story - just visualize post trial cocktails and all will be well. I like it.

Interesting point made in the q&a that agility might make competitors less nervous than obedience since there is no time in the ring to overthink, it’s just go go go. Having never done agility I’m not sure about that, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
LOL! That is great. Moral of the story - just visualize post trial cocktails and all will be well. I like it.

Interesting point made in the q&a that agility might make competitors less nervous than obedience since there is no time in the ring to overthink, it’s just go go go. Having never done agility I’m not sure about that, but it makes sense.
I could see myself running into a tunnel or something, but it has to help to be moving quickly paying attention to a running dog.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 · (Edited)
Logan is doing so well in agility lately! He's moving faster due to confidence, he's focusing on me, and it's all beginning to come together. Our instructor, Alison, even complimented me today and said I have learned the crosses so quickly. Honestly, I can't think about what I'm doing too much or it messes me up. We've done front crosses, blind crosses, and today we learned rear cross. Logan did great at it, listening to my command and not seeming distracted by me slowing down and crossing behind him. One thing I'm definitely thinking is I'd better start Couch to 5K training because Logan is going to leave me in his dust.

Alison brought up trialing for the first time today. She said there were so many people she gives lessons to who push her about trialing sooner than later and I've not been doing it. I told her I knew we weren't ready yet. :ROFLMAO: She said there's one in October we could potentially be ready for because she thinks we are covering our bases for novice level. She also said there's one in the spring, which is when I think we will actually be ready. I'm going to take my new weave book with me and we will work on that for August as we will be up in the mountains for the entire month.

Our course today was: Dogwalk (target), hoop, jump, jump, A-frame, jump, jump, Logan going to next jump w/me rear crossing, and tunnel, jump, jump. We also did some variations.

We raised the teeter today and he didn't seem to notice. He barrels on along.

A man walked down the road right beside the fence and Logan noticed him, but did not run over. He also listened when I said not yours when he considered going to visit Alison's dog in her car as we left.

Other Logan news: He's figured out how to roll down my rear car windows. I have him in a harness seat belt. I'm using the child lock to prevent it. My car is supposed to finally be here in November (a year late due to COVID chip issues) and I'm getting a crash tested crate for it.

Brittany (daughter) gave me socks. Hope they are lucky socks. Photo was taken post agility, so it's a good thing y'all can't smell them. :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't know much at all about agility at all, although I hope to learn because I think Murphy might enjoy it, but it sounds like you and Logan are really starting to gel as a team. I enjoy reading your posts here and the everything on the Novice Agility thread....sooner or later I'm probably gonna starting worrying you guys to death with a million questions.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
I don't know much at all about agility at all, although I hope to learn because I think Murphy might enjoy it, but it sounds like you and Logan are really starting to gel as a team. I enjoy reading your posts here and the everything on the Novice Agility thread....sooner or later I'm probably gonna starting worrying you guys to death with a million questions.
Feel free to -- not than I'm an expert. Agility is so much fun! I enjoy reading the novice agility thread also because I love the videos and because of all the experienced people giving tips.

I'm journaling Logan's entire life in this picture thread. :D

How old is Murphy? He can start doing pre-agility foundation stuff and I bet y'all would love it. Logan started classes at a year old, but we would have started sooner if it weren't for COVID.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Murphy will be 15 wks on Saturday. Our breeder encouraged us to try agility with him and recommended a place in Richmond for training. She is friendly with the people there and has been going there for years. We have been working with him at home on basic obedience up to this point

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Murphy will be 15 wks on Saturday. Our breeder encouraged us to try agility with him and recommended a place in Richmond for training. She is friendly with the people there and has been going there for years. We have been working with him at home on basic obedience up to this point
Ahhhh. A baby. I wish my breeder lived closer to me. She'd probably file for a restraining order. I love a fluffy puppy.

I hope you do give agility a try. I'm so thankful to have found our trainer.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Logan and the pool photos are so sweet! I’m certain if I had a pool it would be a constant state of two wet dogs. They refuse to leave pools. And will stay far enough away at the dog pool that they know I can’t come in and get them!!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Logan and the pool photos are so sweet! I’m certain if I had a pool it would be a constant state of two wet dogs. They refuse to leave pools. And will stay far enough away at the dog pool that they know I can’t come in and get them!!
Ha. They’re conspiring. 😅 My other dog, Abby, prefers to stay dry. I keep an eye out when I let them out to potty, but Logan has snuck in a quick dip a couple of times. He’s usually trying to get my grandson’s pool toys that are cars. Logan covets them badly. 😄

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
Logan loves the screened porch in the mountains. He saw something out there or was wondering why he isn’t out there running on the meadow. We are going hiking in a bit. I’m considering an e-collar to give him some off leash freedom for hiking up here. I’d get training from the obedience school I’m attending.

He sees me in this one.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Logan loves the screened porch in the mountains. He saw something out there or was wondering why he isn’t out there running on the meadow. We are going hiking in a bit. I’m considering an e-collar to give him some off leash freedom for hiking up here. I’d get training from the obedience school I’m attending.

View attachment 884318

View attachment 884319

He sees me in this one.

Beautiful views.....
Yes. Looks like this from his vantage point. Lots of pleasant sounds also.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 · (Edited)
Logan had a glorious day hiking Glen Falls Trail in Highlands, NC and then we went to lunch at a BBQ place in Cashiers. While hiking, he was able to walk in the pool at the bottom of the falls.

He also received lots of compliments and requests for petting.

Funny conversations:

Man: Is that a pure bred dog?
Me: Yes.
Man: That looks like a pure bred dog. What kind of pure bred dog is it?
Me: (giggling on the inside) He’s a Golden Retriever.
Man: He’s a very fluffy one. I’ve never seen a tail that fluffy. 🤪😅

Lady at the restaurant: What kind of dog is that? He sure is beautiful.
Me: Thank you. He’s a Golden Retriever.
Lady: His head looks different from ones I’ve seen.
Me: Blockier?
Lady: Yes! He’s so pretty. 💗 I don’t have this problem you do of everyone wanting to pet your dog. My dog hates people. 🤪 (Her dog was a small poodle who was definitely passing out the stink eye.) 😅

321 - 340 of 361 Posts