Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
301 - 320 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 · (Edited)
A glorious start to our Fourth of July weekend. We walked Logan to the front gate and back (a couple of miles with about 500 ft elevation gain) and then took him to The Ugly Dog Cafe. He prettied that place up and was a huge hit with the staff. He had several visits of people wanting to pet him. They said Logan was the talk of the staff.

He decided to get up on the picnic bench and sit beside me. 😅

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Logan saw his first bear today. We were walking along -- my husband, Brian, Logan, and myself. We rounded a corner stop sign and there the bear was in the next driveway on our left. Logan caught sight of it right as it caught sight of us. He perked up like "What in the heck is THAT?!!!" I immediately said, "Unh unh, Logan. This way!" Logan went with me as I backed up, but I'm pretty sure if he wasn't on a leash he would have gone right on up to check out the bear.

We waited a few minutes and turned on my music loud and decided to try to make our way on down the road, but it was a no go. As we got up that way, the bear was in the same area, but across the street. He looked startled this time and probably ran, but we decided no way at that point and headed back towards our house and got in the car to head to where we were going. 🤪

·
Registered
633 Posts
You really stuck to the "bear facts" on that post....I would've been tempted to embellish. We have black bears in our area as well but so far have stayed further west than where we live

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
You really stuck to the "bear facts" on that post....I would've been tempted to embellish. We have black bears in our area as well but so far have stayed further west than where we live
haha. I need to start wearing a raccoon-skin hat and keep a rifle strapped to my back. :ROFLMAO: I enjoyed the beach. This is my husband’s fault. Lol

This was a male bear. There’s a mom and two cubs also. A neighbor said their den is right across from her house. We have a lot of woods and meadows. By the end of last summer, I had experienced six bear sightings. I’m up to two so far this summer.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm sure y'all know this already, but be careful around Mumma and the cubs...the male is probably just big, dumb and hungry like most guys...try not to look like food.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
I'm sure y'all know this already, but be careful around Mumma and the cubs...the male is probably just big, dumb and hungry like most guys...try not to look like food.
Yes, I know. I came up on a mom last summer and with two cubs. One of them saw me and started bouncing around playfully. I was backing up with bear spray out hoping that cub didn't come in my direction.

I try not to look like a berry.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 · (Edited)
We are back in famously hot (city slogan) Columbia, SC and back to swimming. We had a swim and bath day today. Logan, I mean. lol. I swam some and generally take a shower.

Logan loves the baby stacking toy. No more babies, so I let him play with it.

Here he is on the move to get the toy I just tossed into the pool:

His sister (my daughter, Brittany) and two of her children came by to print something and Logan wanted in the house to greet them. Nope. lol

When Britt and the kids left:

And after a shampoo and condition, drying time. Why did I give him a bath when we have a hurricane coming this way? lol Doy. :

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 · (Edited)
We took training off today. We walked three miles in the drizzle (after a bath 🤪 yesterday) and played fetch for 30 minutes. Logan gets bored if we fetch too much without making it exciting, so I run from him and then turn around and say "through" and then "squish!" once he's through and he comes back poking his head between my legs from behind. He finds that quite entertaining. I also throw the ball at the side of the house and when it bounces back he likes to chase it down and sometimes catches it in the air.

Yesterday Logan worked on his dumbbell holds and the day before heeling. We throw in tricks at times for training sessions. We didn't have agility this week due to the hurricane. We're two weeks off from regular obedience because they take a break between their eight week class sessions. Oh, and I ordered a book covering weave games from Clean Run.

I did sign up for a one on one lesson next week with a lady at Dog trainer's workshop. Also, in July we are going to take twice a week agility, so we will be working on the course one day and focus on weaves the other day.

For the life of me, I don't know why I haven't turned in advanced tricks yet. Logan can do all but one -- and that's just because I haven't taught him a tenth. My husband says it's because I've been running around on the road with Logan non-stop and staying busy with the grands when they visit us in the mountains. Even they like to give him commands and ask me to show them tricks, so I can't use them as an excuse.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
We worked on directed jumps, heeling, and dumbbell holds yesterday. Logan has today off and we are swimming shortly.

I signed up for Connie Cleveland's Obedience Road online because it's the same methods we use at in person class, but there are videos. I am very much a visual learner. In class it's SO MUCH new information all at once, I figure it will help to have videos where I can see the actual body mechanics of doing each thing. I've been having trouble with crooked sits for halt and they told me in words how to correct it using the leash, but it is so much more helpful to watch the video of it being done, which Connie Cleveland does in one of her earlier videos. 😊

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds like Logan is doing great! Totally understand about the information overload. We also recently signed up for Obedience road and I am looking forward to the sports psychology lecture.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 · (Edited)
Sounds like Logan is doing great! Totally understand about the information overload. We also recently signed up for Obedience road and I am looking forward to the sports psychology lecture.
Should be good. I really relate to how she teaches.

Hopefully, the webinars show up on the site if you can't join live. I searched webinar and found quite a few. I don't know that I will be able to join in at 8:00 on Tuesday. I'm sure I will have ring nerves. lol

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
We swam again yesterday and probably will this evening. Earlier today we worked on heeling/straight sits and recall. Logan caught sight of two of Luke's big tuffy toys again today, so I relinquished them to him. He's been tossing them all over the place. Oh -- and my husband took Logan out early this morning out by the pond, so he was able to get some outdoor time before it heated up today.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
I took Logan to Fountain Inn yesterday to work on dumbbell holds. We walked into the room before the instructor arrived and I had him in there heeling and practicing straight sits on halts. Logan has gotten pretty good at maintaining attention for heeling, but he glanced sideways once and my eyes followed his. There were three chocolate Labs in the corner, each on a bed, just laying there. I don't know how I didn't notice them. Logan didn't really react to them -- it was more like "Mom. Do better at surveying your surroundings. We are not alone." :ROFLMAO: Our trainer told us they were their therapy dogs. So well behaved.

I'm sipping coffee this morning because, like a dummy, I signed up for 8:15 agility across town. It's for the best because it's the only possible time it won't be too warm to do agility, but I'm sleepy.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
We went to agility this morning for an 8:15 lesson and had lots of fun. Other than taking a few laps because Logan had zero exercise yesterday, he was pretty focused.

We did jump, jump, tunnel, me front cross and back over the last jump as he came out of the tunnel, then jump, jump, turn left, A-frame (target), jump, jump. We worked on some A-frame by itself, teeter, and dog walk. We removed the target plate for the dog walk and he did two on/two off without it.

Oh -- and weaves.

I didn't really mess up either other than one time my brain was telling my body to veer and my body wasn't listening quite right. I almost ran into the A-frame for that one. 😅

·
Registered
337 Posts
Should be good. I really relate to how she teaches.

Hopefully, the webinars show up on the site if you can't join live. I searched webinar and found quite a few. I don't know that I will be able to join in at 8:00 on Tuesday. I'm sure I will have ring nerves. lol
We caught the middle to end of it driving back from class. There were some helpful ideas in there that I wouldn’t have thought to do, eg visualization. I believe the recording should be up in a couple days plus some bonus audio of her answering additional questions.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
We caught the middle to end of it driving back from class. There were some helpful ideas in there that I wouldn’t have thought to do, eg visualization. I believe the recording should be up in a couple days plus some bonus audio of her answering additional questions.
Thank you! I will listen to it.

Long ago (15 years) I did a fitness contest where I was on stage in a bikini and what I call stripper heels (clear and five inches high.) I'm sharing this (lol) because I have terrible stage fright. Somewhere along the way I read about how visualization helps, so every time I got on the elliptical train I would visualize myself walking out on stage confident and doing all my turns correctly. It really helped!! I thought I would be shaking in my boots/crazy high heels, but it was sink or swim time and I swam -- thank God. :ROFLMAO: When I was on stage I wasn't thinking about the judges. In that case, I was thinking about the Mexican food and margaritas I'd be having soon and also I heard my son (who was15 at the time) yell, "Go Momma!" and it made me smile.

For me, all of it ended up feeling like a victory not because of winning, but for obtaining the goal I had set for myself which was to do my best with exercise and nutrition to get on stage and also, not to pass out from fear. lol (FWIW, I placed 1st in one and third in the other -- everyone worked so hard and looked great.)

Back to dogs -- I suppose when I get nervous training Logan it's because of my own ineptness at times due to lack of experience and also because I'm worried about Logan might do. My agility instructor says to remember I'm having fun with my dog and he WILL do the unexpected at times. So, I guess you have to learn to laugh. lol

Back to fitness -- I was most impressed with a girl who literally fell on stage because of the ridiculous amount of pro-tan and oil -- eight coats for my white body (makes me laugh now) -- anyway -- she got right back up and kept on going and did great. I'm sure if she had Mexican after, she enjoyed her margarita also. :D

301 - 320 of 361 Posts