Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
He is turning into a handsome boy. Those college trips sounds great. Good for him for behaving so well around different people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yes! He was tempted by a soccer ball some young men were kicking around, but he just watched and smiled. I think he would have pursued off leash. lol Right next to them were frisbee throwers. :ROFLMAO:
Oh gosh... the balls are always the most tempting for our girl. Good for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's great! I'm glad to hear that Logan's obedience class is going well and I'm glad you found it. It will be fun to see him progress.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds like Logan is doing great! Totally understand about the information overload. We also recently signed up for Obedience road and I am looking forward to the sports psychology lecture.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Should be good. I really relate to how she teaches.

Hopefully, the webinars show up on the site if you can't join live. I searched webinar and found quite a few. I don't know that I will be able to join in at 8:00 on Tuesday. I'm sure I will have ring nerves. lol
We caught the middle to end of it driving back from class. There were some helpful ideas in there that I wouldn’t have thought to do, eg visualization. I believe the recording should be up in a couple days plus some bonus audio of her answering additional questions.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thank you! I will listen to it.

Long ago (15 years) I did a fitness contest where I was on stage in a bikini and what I call stripper heels (clear and five inches high.) I'm sharing this (lol) because I have terrible stage fright. Somewhere along the way I read about how visualization helps, so every time I got on the elliptical train I would visualize myself walking out on stage confident and doing all my turns correctly. It really helped!! I thought I would be shaking in my boots/crazy high heels, but it was sink or swim time and I swam -- thank God. :ROFLMAO: When I was on stage I wasn't thinking about the judges. In that case, I was thinking about the Mexican food and margaritas I'd be having soon and also I heard my son (who was15 at the time) yell, "Go Momma!" and it made me smile.

For me, all of it ended up feeling like a victory not because of winning, but for obtaining the goal I had set for myself which was to do my best with exercise and nutrition to get on stage and also, not to pass out from fear. lol (FWIW, I placed 1st in one and third in the other -- everyone worked so hard and looked great.)

Back to dogs -- I suppose when I get nervous training Logan it's because of my own ineptness at times due to lack of experience and also because I'm worried about Logan might do. My agility instructor says to remember I'm having fun with my dog and he WILL do the unexpected at times. So, I guess you have to learn to laugh. lol

Back to fitness -- I was most impressed with a girl who literally fell on stage because of the ridiculous amount of pro-tan and oil -- eight coats for my white body (makes me laugh now) -- anyway -- she got right back up and kept on going and did great. I'm sure if she had Mexican after, she enjoyed her margarita also. :D
LOL! That is great. Moral of the story - just visualize post trial cocktails and all will be well. I like it.

Interesting point made in the q&a that agility might make competitors less nervous than obedience since there is no time in the ring to overthink, it’s just go go go. Having never done agility I’m not sure about that, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds like a great class and classmates! You guys did a lot in one session. LOL at "not kicked out yet" - that is literally what my husband and I say to each other on every drive back. 🙃

·
Registered
541 Posts
I’d love to know which video you used to create the PVC mat for fronts. Is it on the Obedience road? Glad you and Logan are staying safe.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nice job, thanks for the photos! I see the mat now in the background of her video for fronts and finishes. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Our obedience facility has a similar type of mat - it's made of rubber and fabric, and there are two square posts of wood fastened to each side. I will have to try it out with Atlas next time we go / see where they got those. Otherwise I will try my hand at DIY and make something similar to yours.

We have crooked fronts too-- I took Atlas to a seminar last weekend and the lady suggested some exercises for him to increase drive from his back end and tighten up his sit. One of them was practicing walking backwards so he learned to lead with his back end, and another was practicing prompt downs to sits so he would scoot his butt up. She also did a thing where she had me walk him between my legs so he was kinda in a walking squat - obv being very careful to do it short amounts at a time to build up those muscles. I looked and felt ridiculous doing it, but anything for the dogs lol

·
Registered
541 Posts
Very nice job to you both! I think the heeling looks great but I am just comparing to our crazy heels. One of my new toys is a Pivo and I really like it for filming training videos on my phone when I'm alone.

·
Registered
541 Posts
No command discrimination in Novice AFAIK. Novice is Heel on leash, Figure 8, Stand for exam, Heel free, Recall, +/- Stay to get leash, and group sit and down stays. Logan's gonna have a great foundation for Open with all that you're doing with him!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Omg! That is nuts. I'm glad he didn't hurt anyone or a dog there. I also hope that his dog is all right.. can't say anything that eventful ever happens in our class lol.

Yes heel off leash is gonna be our hardest exercise too.. ha our instructor said if that's the case you're probably giving unconscious cues through your leash to your dog. guilty.. There is a sit for exam exercise too, but in BN/Beginner's Novice. I'm sure other people in your class would love to practice stand/sit for exam with you before they start trialing!

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's funny about the mini schnauzer. Glad Logan's getting exposure to different dogs and distractions. It sounds like your class is throwing in lots of Open exercises too - you guys will be so ready for the ring when the time comes! Also.. I'll trade Logan's forging for Atlas's lagging with you ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts