Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've kept a thread over in the Golden Retriever Puppies up to One Year section until today because Logan is now a year old! We'll update this thread with photos of Logan's adventures.

Happy birthday to my sweet boy. It took him a second to warm up to the silly misshapen hat.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Happy B-Day you beautiful boy AND nice hat!

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy B-Day you beautiful boy AND nice hat!
Thank you! My husband thinks I'm crazy today. I told him we are about to go on his birthday walk and Logan has one small cowlick. I'm going on about using my hair oil on it. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Happy happy birthday sweet Logan! I am glad you have a new thread so we can continue to see your awesomeness.

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is Logan from last night. He's getting more snuggly as he's growing up and I like that.

Logan has gone to two classes at the local obedience club in Columbia now (private -- they're doing a pilot program and we have one more. They are starting something more structured beginning in January.)

He has also gone to two classes in pre-agility foundations.

Both the instructors are super nice and I know Logan needs a good obedience foundation to do agility. The agility instructor said she thinks rally is more fun for the dogs -- out of obedience and rally. I guess we will see. I'm reading The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility to edify my mostly clueless mind.

Logan's opinion:

In the last agility class he took off and ran like the wind around the perimeter of the agility course four times. Once he settled, he went through the tunnel from different angles, we started learning front cross overs, and worked on some restrained recalls with him coming to either side of me. If I call any of this by the incorrect terms, feel free to correct or bear with me. :)

In the last obedience class, the instructor was giving a long talk on what shaping is. Logan let out an exaggerated sigh sometime during it and plopped to the floor. A few minutes later, Logan stood up and did a perfect roll over and back to his feet. :ROFLMAO: In that class, we worked on shaping around a brick object and I didn't realize the man was working him up to paws up. When he said, "Eventually, we will work Logan to putting both paws up on the brick," Logan immediately put his paws on the brick because he heard the words. He knows that one already. We also worked on impulse control with Logan leaving treats we walked up to that were in a chair.

One thing Logan is doing, and I want to correct, is he's casting his bottom off to the side instead of being straight beside me in heel position. That's my fault (usually is) because he started it and I didn't know how to start correcting it. We're working on fixing that.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Logan news:

Logan got his TKI today! Yay! He's such a good boy. I'll attach a few videos of tricks from his list.

Logan is heeling much more consistently lately when we walk and that makes me happy.

He has one more class at the obedience club tonight and then they break until January and they'll set up some classes (hopefully.) We've just been working on getting him into proper heel position (without his bottom being cattywampas when he sits) and impulse control. He's good about leaving treats in a chair because he knows I'm going to give him one for doing it. :ROFLMAO:

I found him a new lady to start basic obedience in January (a group class) and then once we take it, we can take advanced (hopefully) and she does CGC testing. I talked to her and she's very nice. Her classes stay full a lot. I had just checked last week and they were full, but she put up her new session and I was able to nab one.

I signed up for a Denise Fenzi course online to work on his greeting skills.

That's all. One day he'll have his PhD. 🤪

Place from at least 10 feet (no idea why I put my finger by my nose. Looks like a Bewitched moment. haha):

Place

We are still weaving. My sister said if he gets any taller, I'm going to go down. lol Pardon my pool deck -- we had a hellacious storm the night before:

Weave

Fetch and bring the ball to my hand:

Fetch

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's bright and beautiful today, so we took a nice long walk in perfect temperatures. We also took time out to stop and sniff, plus we went on the tennis courts to retrieve a left behind ball. I'll end up on Nextdoor for breaking the rules. 🤪

Later we are going to work on two on two off and doing figure 8's (front cross work) with two cones. Perhaps a few other things. I can't bring myself to start practicing for advanced trick dog stuff yet. He already will sit at a distance, so that's good. Maybe I'll do two handler's choices. I wonder if stringing a few agility obstacles together would count?

Anyhoo -- Logan is a pretty strike a pose dog, so here he is:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's raining this morning. Not that it matters because I get this within 15 minutes of waking up/getting my coffee. I play with a toy with him while my coffee is brewing and then I just need one cup. This is what Logan thinks of me having it. lol

He's the best and I'm getting in better shape -- we are walking 4 to 6 miles each day, he loves his Chuck-It ball and launcher, is doing great with the latest -- figure eights around cones -- wrap from the left/wrap from the right -- and 2/on 2/off/target -- he was doing it well walking, so I've moved him up to a faster pace, and restrained recall where he goes to my left or to my right, depending on which way I'm turned halfway towards.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love that face! It is as if he can speed up your cup with his expression of love.
He's pretty successful at moving me along. lol He loves to prop his chin on the sofa, coffee table, my thigh, dad's recliner arm... I laughed when his obedience instructor asked if he knew the "chin" command. He does put his chin in my palm on command, but he's really diversified his talent in this area.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
It's raining this morning. Not that it matters because I get this within 15 minutes of waking up/getting my coffee. I play with a toy with him while my coffee is brewing and then I just need one cup. This is what Logan thinks of me having it. lol

He's the best and I'm getting in better shape -- we are walking 4 to 6 miles each day, he loves his Chuck-It ball and launcher, is doing great with the latest -- figure eights around cones -- wrap from the left/wrap from the right -- and 2/on 2/off/target -- he was doing it well walking, so I've moved him up to a faster pace, and restrained recall where he goes to my left or to my right, depending on which way I'm turned halfway towards.
He doesn't look the least bit tired. What a face!

1 - 20 of 154 Posts