Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piper is addicted to paper, Kleenex, and especially her towels! She literally eats her towels like they're a delicacy. Shes not normal! I know pups eat anything/everything, but I've never heard of devouring towels!!!! Please help!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Cardboard boxes, paper, tissues River loves them all. When we have a box needing broke down I give it to her even though I will have more of a mess to clean but she loves it. Toilet paper rolls and paper towels rolls will save it for her to chew. What sort of towels do u mean? Paper or cloth towels? I have to keep my paper towels put back or up out of her way or the will be gone.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cardboard boxes, paper, tissues River loves them all. When we have a box needing broke down I give it to her even though I will have more of a mess to clean but she loves it. Toilet paper rolls and paper towels rolls will save it for her to chew. What sort of towels do u mean? Paper or cloth towels? I have to keep my paper towels put back or up out of her way or the will be gone.
Coth. But if we used paper towels she would eat those too! The towels are in her crate, and sometimes she "munches" at night.

·
Registered
524 Posts
IF she's chewing up cloth then I would not have it in a crate (obstruction).

I use towels as tug toys.... the dogs love them and way less expensive than regular dog toys! They don't grab them off the counter though, I have a box of 'dog tugs' and I pull them out for training and play.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Towels, kleenex, toilet paper... you name it, Comet lunges for them like it's steak! I don't have any solutions for you. I just try to keep them away from him because Comet doesn't only shred them, he eats them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Towels, kleenex, toilet paper... you name it, Comet lunges for them like it's steak! I don't have any solutions for you. I just try to keep them away from him because Comet doesn't only shred them, he eats them.
Exactly what piper does!!!

Reactions: Loukia

·
Registered
505 Posts
I guess I take that back... my only suggestion is to continue to practice "leave it" and "drop it". We've been practicing these religiously for as long as I can remember. Comet is now 8 months and has a pretty good "leave it" and a very selective "drop it". I'm not giving up though because these two commands seem to improve each month. I'm hopeful that one day Comet will listen to my commands almost every time... but I suppose I have to wait until 2 or 3 for that.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yes if Comets is eating his bedding I would remove it. During this age I saw my River start picking up everything around the house. Ended up following the forum advice and keep treats or kibble in my pockets and would trade for it. By the end of the day I would have a pile of treasures she would bring to me. She is 17 months and not constantly picking up stuff. On occasion a stray sock. Hopefully it will get better with time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep Abby is the same. She stalks the paper towel roll if I leave it out where she can see it. We've been practicing leave it, drop it, and the "trade" game described above!

·
Registered
153 Posts
MacKenzie responds immediately to anything I'm carrying that is white - paper towel, newspaper, paper plate, bowl etc. I can't walk through the room without her leaping at the white object.

If I'm trying to pick up poop in the yard with a paper towel and plastic bag, I have to give her a "dummy" towel to keep her distracted for a minute.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Piper is addicted to paper, Kleenex, and especially her towels! She literally eats her towels like they're a delicacy. Shes not normal! I know pups eat anything/everything, but I've never heard of devouring towels!!!! Please help!!
Don't leave them anywhere that she can reach them - and don't leave her unattended. Honestly, it's as simple as that. Get a covered bathroom waste basket, lift the towels where she can't reach them, even take up the toilet paper if need be for now (take it off the roll and put it on the vanity). Eating towels can be dangerous and lead to an obstruction. But this is a puppy thing you can just avoid by making none of it available. My pup loved pulling down the hanging tea towels, so there were no hanging tea towels for about 5 months in my house. Once she got past that stage, tea towels could be hung again, and she pays them no attention.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
"If I'm trying to pick up poop in the yard with a paper towel and plastic bag"

I save the plastic grocery bags. One for use like a glove, toss it and the poop into the second bag and no muss or fuss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts