Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,I took Duke into the vet today because his poop is on the soft side (not runny,just sloppy).My MIL took me in because I dont drive (remember she picks on Duke about his size? lol),anyway,she took her little mix in to have her shots too.
The vet said that it looks like Duke will be a nice size (not as huge as his dad,more of something inbetween both parents) and she messured him up and weighed him (he was 5 weeks yesturday):

Neck-8 inches
Neck to tail-15 1/2 inches
Shoulder to floor-9 inches
Weight-Over 5lbs (he was moving around so much that we couldent get an exact weight).

So,here come the questions..does that seem OK for a Golden retriever pups size? (being as the vet said he will be more like his mother).
My MIL kept saying "I just think its funny that he´s so small,and my puppy is so big! Look at my pups paws and look at his".So the vet told her that small breed pups grow faster,and that they stop growing at around 6 to 8 months old,whilst bigger breeds grow a little slower,but they also keep growing for up to 18+ months-so she should stop comparing the size of our pups.Her puppy is over 2 months old (she has no idea of the age of this pup!) and Duke is still just 5 weeks old,and they are actually the same size..the only thing that makes her pup look bulky,is all the hair.
That shut her up! lol

Anyway,he´s doing fine.I was told to make sure he drinks lots and lots of water (which he does) and being as he eats ALOT,just to take him back in a weeks time to see how he´s doing.
At that point (6 weeks) he can go on antibiotics if needed (he was dewormed at a month old) and also have his shots.
Here´s a couple of pics of my little man:p:

This is him with his favorite toy..they have a very special relationship (it´ll never work! lol)

Thanks for looking!!!:)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
So glad that Duke is healthy and that the vet enlightened your MIL. lol.

Even thought this is a curious paring of dog breeds Duke is one hell of a cutie. I wonder if he'll have the longer golden coat when he grows up?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if he'll have the longer golden coat when he grows up?
Well,compared to golden puppies,he has quite a short coat.Golden puppies look like cuddly little teddybears,but Duke is long legged and although his coat is super soft and VERY thick,its only about 3 quarters of an inch long.
I have no idea how he´ll turn out..Im so exited to see though!:)

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
He's a sweetie pie.....I am also curious as to what he's going to look like as he matures....bet he'll be handsome!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts