Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted recently about the death of our beloved Cooper. He is survived by our female, Charlotte. We raised Cooper from an 8 week old puppy, but adopted Charlotte as a 1 year old a year later. From the moment she laid eyes on Cooper, she adored him. He was her alpha and she was happily his omega. They were together 8-1/2 years.

Losing Cooper has been hard on Charlotte, and she often acts lost. She is reluctant to walk with us without Cooper to take the lead. She is pretty withdrawn. At times she will look for him, but she was there when he collapsed, and I think she understands he’s gone.

We are trying to help her through her sorrow. We continue to do the things we did with Cooper — walk, swim, visit. We have arranged swim and walk dates with other Goldens, and those definitely perk her up. We are planning to adopt a Golden puppy as soon as one is available.

i would appreciate any advice on helping Charlotte through her grief and loneliness. Any insights on how dogs deal with the loss of a canine companion would be welcome.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Can you walk dogs at a local shelter? I know ours let's you check them out for the day if you are approved and some people take them boating or on long day trips. You just might find her a new best friend, even though it might not he a golden.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
I'm sorry Charlotte is grieving, she grieves the loss of her buddy Cooper as much as you do most likely.

I had a similar situation when I lost my first Golden, my girl started withdrawing similar to what Charlotte is doing because she lost her best buddy. She didn't want to go for walks, reluctantly went along with us when we ran errands. We took her down to the beach but she wasn't enjoying it the same way she always had.

Maybe two weeks after I lost my old guy, I found a young Golden available at my shelter. I wasn't ready to get another dog, but for her sake I felt I needed to because all the progress we'd made with her was slipping away very quickly. She was a former puppy mill momma, had spent her first two years of life in a kennel where she couldn't stand up. She was not socialized, had been verbally and physically abused. To make a long story short, she would always need to be with a well adjusted dog.

It took a while for her to warm up to him, but it was what she needed.

I would continue getting her together with other Goldens. This will help until you find a puppy.

It's going to take time for all of you, not only is she grieving and missing him, she most likely is sensing your sadness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your comments. You are right. She needs a companion, ideally another Golden. She was so excited when she had a chance to swim with another Golden last week. (For some reason, Goldens seem to recognize their breed.) We will continue to work on play dates with other dogs until we can get her a permanent companion.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
Thank you for your comments. You are right. She needs a companion, ideally another Golden. She was so excited when she had a chance to swim with another Golden last week. (For some reason, Goldens seem to recognize their breed.) We will continue to work on play dates with other dogs until we can get her a permanent companion.
I agree they do recognize other Goldens, there are 3 others besides my guy in my neighborhood.

I would try to keep her busy and involved as much as you can, it will be good for her and you also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts