Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

little concerned..

468 7
I am starting to get a little concerned about our week up north starting next Saturday. It is supposed to be mid to high nineties as of now and there is no air conditioning. we bought a shade tent thing for on the beach, she will have the water to go in whenever she wants but the cabin won't have air. we bought her thr cool bed and we will have three or four fans. It says the temps.should drop below 70 at night at least.

Do u think she will be fine with all the precautions we are taking or are there any other tips?

Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,542 Posts
My guys love to be outside. But when it's hot, I try to make them stay in, but sometimes they do go out for short periods of time. So one thing I do is take empty milk jugs, fill almost full of water and freeze. And then I have a big bucket of water for outside--so I sit a jug down in the water and it helps cool it and keep it cool for several hours. Sounds like you are well prepared. :)

· Registered
10,950 Posts
I'm no expert but it sounds like your preparations are great. You might bring a fan (for yourself too!). I think if she seems to be getting hot you could wet her down and let her sit where there's a breeze.

Hope you have a great time!

· Registered
8,164 Posts
It still shocks me to hear that there are places without air conditioning up North. I never knew that until I went to pick up Flip and my breeder mentioned she didn't have AC in her house. That's unheard of in my Southern world!

· Registered
10,950 Posts
It still shocks me to hear that there are places without air conditioning up North. I never knew that until I went to pick up Flip and my breeder mentioned she didn't have AC in her house. That's unheard of in my Southern world!
There are a lot Of places without in the west too. My home now (NoCal) and before (SoCal) do/did not. Many people don't bother with the expense because you might only use it for two weeks out of the year. I think the big difference is the humidity, not the heat. The AC removes much of the humidity and I think that's why it's considered essential in many places.

· Beware of Nestle Purina
Ryley and Krimpy
5,728 Posts
I have central air but have not turned it on yet. I am cheap/frugal. It has been in the 90s to low 100s for a few weeks. The dogs are fine- Lot if cold water and a kiddy pool outside. The cats are staying down stairs in the basement pretty cool for them. It is live able. Thankfully not really humid.

Sounds like you have enough stuff for your pup.

· Registered
14,280 Posts
Take my central air and you'll see a real case of aggressive resource guarding! :)

It's been in the high 90's with a high degree of humidity for the past week, fans would have no effect at all. I lived without a/c in Upstate NY for most of my life, ain't goin back, nope, no way!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.