Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I would love your advice on a parvovirus situation.

There is a litter that I was hoping to get a puppy from (from a reputable breeder with a great reputation--I'd rather not say who) and the puppies unfortunately got exposed to parvovirus. The breeder was absolutely devastated and is heartbroken. She has never dealt with this horrible virus in her decades of breeding. She ended up losing three of the puppies several weeks ago (2.5 and 3.5 weeks ago). The rest had their wellness check yesterday (at 10 weeks old) and were pronounced healthy. I have not had a chance to find out from her if the other puppies were sick and how sick. I am making an assumption that the whole litter was sick, but I will ask her. They've had 1 parvovirus vaccine (Neopar) and she is keeping them one more week so they can get the next set of shot: the parvo/distemper vaccine. They will go home at just over 11 weeks old.

Is there some risk still involved in getting a parvo survivor puppy? Would the puppy be at risk for congestive heart failure, long term kidney or liver damage, a weakened immune system permanently, or other things? Are there questions I can or should ask the breeder to better understand the health impact on the babies?

A little bit about me: I have a six year old Golden Retriever who is literally the center of my universe. He is healthy, but I am making myself crazy over my fear in losing him. I cannot imagine life without him--which is part of why I'm getting a second puppy. I know there are no guarantees, but if there is a greater risk of a shorter or poorer quality of life for a parvovirus survivor, I personally don't think I can take that risk. I look forward to your advice. Thank you in advance!

·
Kristy
10,194 Posts
It might make you feel better to call your own vet and ask her to discuss this with you and then ask the breeder to talk to you about anything her vet has said. I hope you are able to feel comfortable, lots of dogs survive and I'm so glad that your breeder had some puppies pull through. I applaud you for educating yourself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might make you feel better to call your own vet and ask her to discuss this with you and then ask the breeder to talk to you about anything her vet has said. I hope you are able to feel comfortable, lots of dogs survive and I'm so glad that your breeder had some puppies pull through. I applaud you for educating yourself.
Thank you so much for response! I have reached out to my vet, but won’t hear back until Tuesday at the earliest and I wanted to be prepared in case I have a conversation with the breeder before that. ❤

1 - 5 of 5 Posts