Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My golden is about 11 months old and we suspect she is pregnant. She has never had a litter before and she shows so many symptoms and we have thought she is pregnant for a while and that she is in her final week.

She keeps acting very odd and restless, stealing socks and shirts, which she never does, and bringing them to her bed. She also is panting a lot and keeps licking her privates more than usual

She has gained a little weight but isn't really visibly too much bigger. We suspect she is having a small litter if any at all. We tried to schedule an ultrasound to confirm if she is pregnant or not but all the vets in the area are booked solid so we are kind of just guessing at this point.

If anyone has had a small litter of one or two puppies, can you give me some pointers of what your dog looked like and how she acted???

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, right now we are getting to sleep and maggie woke up from a nap and was whining a little and panting a lot. I dont knowing that is normal for anyone else but it isn't for her. She was acting that way when we woke up this morning too.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
When was she in season?
A radiograph would tell you whether she is pregnant or is having a phantom pregnancy.
It's too late for an US if you are imagining she is 'due' now.
Normal labor does involve a lot of panting- take a paper towel and see if she's having a discharge at all/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was in season mid to late November, we started noticing signs in the first week of December

·
Kate
20,697 Posts
If she is having a litter or acting like something's happening but nothing is happening... you are aware that something could be wrong. A puppy could be sideways and blocking up the works. Or a puppy can be too big to come out naturally.

You need to go to the ER - ASAP.

Waiting too long, you could lose her.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Well, IF she is in whelp puppies would be visible on radiograph. And KAte's right, if she is doing more than just panting she may be in trouble. It's hard to say if your 'panting' is the same as my 'panting' would be... did you see her get bred? Wipe her vulva to check for discharge, look for any color at all or just wet- and if she has color you'd want to go to the ER. That said, dogs can have several days of stage one labor which is largely panting.. but certainly if you guys are gone during the day you will want to know one way or the other so you can make her a place to whelp.

·
Kate
20,697 Posts
Well, IF she is in whelp puppies would be visible on radiograph. And KAte's right, if she is doing more than just panting she may be in trouble. It's hard to say if your 'panting' is the same as my 'panting' would be... did you see her get bred? Wipe her vulva to check for discharge, look for any color at all or just wet- and if she has color you'd want to go to the ER. That said, dogs can have several days of stage one labor which is largely panting.. but certainly if you guys are gone during the day you will want to know one way or the other so you can make her a place to whelp.
I've heard of dogs acting uncomfortable and nesting for a few days... but if the breeder knows they are due and they seem to be trying to go into labor but nothing is happening... I've heard of soooo many cases where the vets brought down the hammer and went C-section immediately to save the bitch and get the puppies out.

Both Jovi and Glee were c-section litters. First case, it was a puppy (we think Jovi since he was the biggest pup) blocking up the birth canal and stopping everything up. C-section saved both the litter and the bitch. Second case, I think the puppies were big again? She did start having puppies on the way to the vet, but lost one and might have lost the rest and been in serious danger if csection hadn't been done.

Another case I know of was a dead puppy that was sideways in the birth canal and stopping everything. If the breeder hadn't done the Csection on Good Friday, she would have lost both the litter and the mom.

Basically - people shouldn't randomly breed their dogs or let things go and assume everything will be OK! Having puppies puts your dog's life in danger and needs some serious engagement from owners and proper vet care.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
So- the two weeks between mid to late November are factoring in my less immediate reaction- If the bitch was PUSHING that'd be a reason to run to the ER. But panting- that's not a crisis. And there really isn't much info here as to what panting means to the OP, or when and if she saw her be bred, or when that was, if she were bred mid-November she isn't pregnant. If it were end November, she'd surely be obviously close enough to worry about, and know she was pregnant. Her nipples should be checked to see if anything can be expressed. I can't imagine not knowing- surely there is an ER to do a radiograph in OPs area- so for me, I would go to the ER solely to know if she was pregnant or not and if she is, whether there is an issue. A young bitch under a year isn't going to be a good mama most likely... and w owners who are not prepared for a litter, that's even more of a disaster waiting to happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts