Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sam and Jack's Mum!!!!!
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have bred and had litters, I am curious to know what the sizes of those litters were. I know the breed average is 6-8. Sam is due for X-rays in 12 days time to determine numbers. How many of you had over the average? How many was there for the first litter? etc etc. I am having a guess at 7! the rest of the family has placed their guesses too!

·
Registered
640 Posts
When 'Skeena' had her first litter she had four girls...I was hoping for more and really wanted a boy from this breeding but it was not to be.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Ive never bred. but I roughly remember the number in my girls litters... In Chloes litter I believe there were 9.. and only one was a boy.. and Cedar I think there 11.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My Max sired two litters of 12 each! They all were healthy!

Selka and Gunner each came from a litter of 3 boys and 4 girls. Weird huh?
Selka's sister is Gunner's mother.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Goldens tend to have large litters. At least in my experience, eight to twelve is more normal then not. Particularly with a natural breeding, large litters are not unusual. Mom usually has a hard time with twelve puppies, and sometimes requires a little bit of help.

Have the stuff on hand to supplement Mom if needed. X-Rays can sometimes be wrong, but they give you a good idea what to look for.

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
I've never bred, but I know that Tito's dam's first litter was 10, I think 6 girls and 4 boys, and her second and final litter (Tito's litter) had 11; 9 boys and 2 girls.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
My two litters were 9 and 10 (6 survived)

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
I know they've been working on men being able to get pregnant, but having a litter? That's a new one on me....;) I'm guessing somehow this relates to the thread about you doing *anything* with the dogs???

My two litters were 9 and 10 (6 survived)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I know they've been working on men being able to get pregnant, but having a litter? That's a new one on me....;) I'm guessing somehow this relates to the thread about you doing *anything* with the dogs???

............................................:--evil:.........................................​

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We're not breeders, but Tucker came from a litter of 9 pups. There were 6 girls and 3 boys. Tucker's mother had 2 other litters before that and there were 10 pups in each of those litters.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Jamie was from a litter of 12 but after the mom went dock diving 2 days before they were due one was stillborn the next day and mom had to have a C-section. The breeder had to help feed the smallest pup but she made it.

The breeder said no more dock diving for very pregnant moms!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts