Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
There is no alcohol in Listerine so it does not burn, and it evaporates so it disinfects and dries the hot spot. Be sure to use the original gold Listerine because the other colors can have sugar, etc. in them.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I use the no name brand - like CVS's. Works great, if you catch the hot spot on time.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
I've never tried Listerine but do use Gold Bond. Dries it right up and so far when caught early they have healed quickly with it.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
There is no alcohol in Listerine so it does not burn, and it evaporates so it disinfects and dries the hot spot. Be sure to use the original gold Listerine because the other colors can have sugar, etc. in them.

Actually Melissa, the amber Listerine has 26.9% alcohol ( listed under inactive ingredients on the bottom)... that's what gives it such a kick. I've used it on scratches and open sores and I think it does burn, but the dogs don't seem to be phased by it.

Reactions: Wyatt's mommy

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Gold Bond Powder

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone tell me the exact healing process of a hot spot? I can't find anything on line. I finally had to break down and get the "cone of shame" for dear Mylo. Now his hot spot looks dry and crusty. Not sure what to do now and if that means we are on our way out of the wood.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
I use it instead of Bitter Apple because my dogs hate the taste and don't lick.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Dry and crusty is good! Oozy and gross is bad! LOL Just keep your dog from scratching off that crusty scab and re-opening the wound, and it should fall off on its own shortly! :)

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I use the no name brand - like CVS's. Works great, if you catch the hot spot on time.
By "on time" how soon is that? Bentley has a hot spot on the inside of his leg that I've been treating with Neo Predef w/Tet for about a week now. It's not any bigger but it's not getting better. I was thinking about trying the Listerine.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sigh. I hate hot spots. None so far with Ollie, but the HomeBoy, every Autumn. Listerine has no alcohol type now. Not sure if any good. Plain green helped and the Gold Bond.

·
bemyangell
460 Posts
Sara got a horrible hot spot when she was a puppy. It was a bad one. From then on we get her one depo shot every year to prevent them. It has definitely helped.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Lucy has one right now. I rinse it with Listerine once a day. Then I apply bag balm. The ointment keeps it from getting stuff in it like dirt. I use the cone to keep her from licking it. The cone doesn't stop my other dogs from licking it though. I've tried a huge variety of cures. The best one is check every day and hope to catch before it erupts and oozes. Poor dogs, they are so miserable when they have them.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Thanks. I just now put Listerine on it because I thought if nothing else at least the taste will deter him from licking it. He licked it off, licked his lips and looked at me like he wanted more :doh:

I have been putting Dog EMT on it because it forms somewhat of a barrier but maybe next I'll try Gold Bond. Then maybe a cone. I am dreading getting him fixed because of the cone, maybe we'll both get used to it early :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts