Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if there is a list around that shows what is suggested to buy for a golden puppy?
We are bringing our baby home next week and i want to be prepared so i dont have to him to the petstore and waste time there.
Ive already purchased his crate,it came with a pad,dont know if i will leave that in there or not.
i know i need a brush, toys,which kind do you all prefer? i already have a large rope toy for him. we are going to buy a big bag of tennis balls for him to have around the house to play with. i know i need more chewy stuff.
Im going to wait on the food dishes because the breeder is going to give me a set of smaller dishes for the baby for now,and I will get the nice stainless ones at a later date. Food of course, and the collar and leash and tags.

am i missing anything? i am such a list maker and dont like to feel im forgetting something
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
  • dog food (buy puppy food)
  • 2 dishes, one for food and one for water
  • a leash
  • a collar
  • an ID tag with phone number for the collar
  • a couple of chew toys
  • a brush
  • a dog bed (optional)
  • a dog crate (optional, but a good idea)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Good list so far. Some other stuff.

Lots of toys.
Puppy shampoo.
Lots of old towels
6 foot lead for walking
20 or 50 foot lead for training
Flat nylon collar
Harness for car traveling (Wish I had started whenb Clancy was a pup)

Things you will need after your puppy has been home for a week:

New shoes to replace chewed ones
New socks to replace chewed ones
New underwear to replace chewed ones
New clothes to replace torn ones

you get the idea.

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
How about things you might need the day you bring puppy home?

Take an old Tee-shirt or terry towel and give it to the breeder so she can leave it with the dam and litter for a night to get their smells on it... this might offer some comfort to the little one, those first few nights when he has to sleep alone.

Also you want to be sure to take a water jug and have the breeder fill it with her local water for you. If there is a significant difference in water chemistry between your house and the breeder's, you can use the breeder's water to slow the change over to your water supply... this may prevent a tummy upset.

And finally, you should pick up the little guy very early in the morning if possible... that will afford the pup a whole day to explore his new surroundings before that dreaded first night arrives. And also ask the breeder to not feed the puppy that morning... less chance of car-sickness, vomiting, and pooping on the ride home.

Good Luck with your new puppy!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Monomer, Good point on the water. Some dogs do have problems switching water. Same goes for food. It takes a couple weeks to switch foods too so you may need to get the same brand food the breeder feeds and then slowly switch to your preferred choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea's!
the water thing is a good idea,but we are both local so i dont need to adjust other than to get him onto purified water(i hate the water here,when your born here they seem to think its ok :eek: ) i only use the purified from the tap,so i will mix him over to that.
I already talked to the breeder on the dogfood he is on and will be purchasing that brand this week also.

what are your golden's favorite toys? we already know they love tennis balls and target has some cool colored ones right now in the bag we are going to get him, i also have a rope chew toy already from who knows when i bought it,but still has the tags on it.

the car ride home will be short and sweet,and in a crate that our huge pig cat travels in we only will have around 10 miles to go.

have any of you used harnesses on their puppies to help with walking ?

any other tips to owning a large breed dog?

thanks for everything!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Puppy school once the needles are all done! Can't stress that enough. Gives them the socializing with other dogs and you the confidence to handle them. Have your partner go to the classes as well, if that's allowed, to sit and listen. It's so much better if you both use the same command wordswhen dealing with him.
Goldens are notorious for pulling when you walk them so as the pup gets older I would introduce him to the "Gentle Leader".
Please be careful of squeeky toys with whistles. I only used latex toys when Mojo was a baby as the rubber toys were too easy to rip apart. He also had his most favourite stuffed toy. It was made of the same material that was in the whelping box so all he wanted to do was stuff it between his legs and hump it. Come on, it kept him busy for a while! LOL. As he got older he started to rip the stuffed toys apart so that ended that!
If you are crating (and I hope you are) then you should always have his toys in the crate, feed him in there and make him take his naps in there. Only have wonderful things happen to him when he's put in the "crate" and leave the door open the rest of the time so he can go in and out whenever he wants. Always give him a treat (doesn't have to be much) when he goes in there for you on his own. I put the crate right in the livingroom with us so he could here us during the day. At night we brought the crate up to the bedroom.
Good idea about the old towel for the puppies to sleep on. We also left the tiny crate at the breeders for a few days so all the puppies could run in and out of it. Same for a stuffed toy.
Just remember that puppies are like babies and need a lot of sleep and "ROUTINE" and you'll do well. Good luck!
Don't you just love "puppy smell"!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mojosmum said:
Don't you just love "puppy smell"!
oh yea puppy breath makes me weak in the knees LOL

Thanks, i told dh that we are going to school, the dog has to learn what he can and cant do. we have a dtr that has a form spina bifida and she cant do all the normal sports that every other 6 yr old is allowed to do(no gymnastics dance soccer) so we are hoping that having her be able to work with the dog in teaching him tricks and fetch and whatnot that it gives her a *purpose* also. my other 2 are perfectly healthy.

we are crating, i bought the crate the other day and we are going to set it up next to our couch in the corner so the dog has his safe spot and if he wants to just watch the world he can.

i cant wait this seems like a fantastic breed! it'll be really different from owning a jack russell terrier and cocker spaniels.

thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Timberwolfe- what a fantastic story of Lucy that is!!! thanks for posting that link to me, i have saved it!

Emily in no means is paralyzed and probably never will be. If you didnt know her dx then you wouldnt probably think anything was wrong other than she runs funny(abnormal gait) but unfortunatly thats not the case.

She thought that the pups mom and dad were fantastic and loved throwing the balls for the dogs to fetch!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Wonderful story Timberwolfe!
TiffanyHarrison - Emily should be involved in the raising of this pup as well as your other two children. A golden will show no prejudice towards anyone so ultimately everyone who has contact with the pup will benefit. You and your family are embarking on a whole new adventure. Congrats and Good Luck.
p.s. much different than a JRT and Cocker

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Emily is 6 and im going to look into some different classes and see which one she could attend with me. the other 2 kids are 4,3 and they just arent old enough to go to school and do that,they can work with the dog at home .. this is going to be a fantastic ride we are about to embark on!!

i loved my cockers(2) growing up and would have liked to have another one, Dh had a bad experience with them and refused. We got our jrt when we first were married and he was my first baby stubborn though and was stolen out of the back yard. They dont like little kids at all so that made them a No.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the harness b/c I feel bad about pulling on the neck. I also recommend having the dog off leash as much as possible. This way when he is bigger you'll have a dog that is used to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.