Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Lips turning pink

406 9
Hello!

My 14 month olds lips are losing the black pigmentation and turning pink. He just so happens to also be wearing a cone around his neck for something unrelated so I know it's not from scraping himself. It seems to be getting worse over the days. Does anyone have any advice with this? He's on antibiotics but this started before we got on those. Thanks!

Dog breed Carnivore Dog Whiskers Fawn

Hair Head Dog Eye Dog breed

3 days after onset:
Eye Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
My dog had something like that once. I never figured out exactly how it happened but it came back fairly quickly.

Reactions: TheChico

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have vet look at that.
I did on Saturday when we went in for his other condition. He has an infection in his scrotum are that he had been licking a bit so they said the infection may have transferred to his lips. I just realized we've been on antibiotics since last Monday. This showed up on Friday. I'm wondering if a transfer would've even been possible since he had already been on antibiotics but also it's getting worse and not better. His scrotum area is healing however so if it was a transfer of the same bacteria you'd think this would be healing too and not getting larger.

I did send them a picture today but haven't heard back yet. Wanted to check in here too because Google is just being very scary while not offering any answers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did on Saturday when we went in for his other condition. He has an infection in his scrotum are that he had been licking a bit so they said the infection may have transferred to his lips. I just realized we've been on antibiotics since last Monday. This showed up on Friday. I'm wondering if a transfer would've even been possible since he had already been on antibiotics but also it's getting worse and not better. His scrotum area is healing however so if it was a transfer of the same bacteria you'd think this would be healing too and not getting larger.

I did send them a picture today but haven't heard back yet. Wanted to check in here too because Google is just being very scary while not offering any answers.
What type of infection has he got in his scrotum?
Just a thought but if it’s a yeast infection they can get symptoms from head to tail. My boy’s going through that at the moment with his ears, eye and anal glands but I’ve noticed a pink patch on his lips too. Antibiotics didn’t clear it up, I’m assuming because it’s not bacterial.
It might not be the same thing but I thought it was worth mentioning, just in case!

Google’s evil. Apparently everything’s cancer!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He had an allergic reaction to an ointment which pretty much caused his skin on the scrotum to peel. So we started oral antibiotics and we wore a donut around the neck for a few days. He didn't seem to be able to get to the area until 4 days later I realized that he was indeed able to lick it. The vet says that made it worse and he acquired a secondary bacterial infection. They didn't test for specific bacteria so I don't know exactly what he has. But the scrotum is healing. The lips however look worse today.

·
Registered
155 Posts
He had an allergic reaction to an ointment which pretty much caused his skin on the scrotum to peel. So we started oral antibiotics and we wore a donut around the neck for a few days. He didn't seem to be able to get to the area until 4 days later I realized that he was indeed able to lick it. The vet says that made it worse and he acquired a secondary bacterial infection. They didn't test for specific bacteria so I don't know exactly what he has. But the scrotum is healing. The lips however look worse today.
Oh poor boy, that sounds awful!
I hope it all starts to improve and you hear back from the vets soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My boy’s lips did that exact thing a few weeks ago. I feed both of mine with a slow feeder and I had him on a bland diet of chicken and rice for a bit. I wondered if he had irritated his lips when working to get all the rice out of the feeder. I cleaned the bowl thoroughly and hand fed him for a week or so. His lips cleared up and are back to their normal black pigment now.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've had that happen when feeding out of a steep sided bowl. Dogs, especially young dogs who are always ravenous, will often press their muzzle too hard into the corners of the bowl. Cleared up when I switched to a ceramic plate that was dishwasher safe. I put the plates in the dishwasher after EVERY meal to kill anything on the plate. Plastic plates and bowls are bad for growing pathogens and are hard to thoroughly clean because they are often not dishwasher safe.

My young boy got a scraped, inflamed scrotum last summer from racing through the fields when the vegetation was about scrotum high and getting dry and rough. Had to keep him out of the fields for a few weeks until after harvest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts