Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 4 yo male golden retriever who has what I assume to be a lipoma. He developed a small round movable lump in his neck area (loose skin area in the neck) when he was about 2 or so. It has not grown much, maybe a small amount (I don’t know if anyone could notice it besides me). I do notice lately it seems another one is growing right next to it, almost attached to the first lipoma. The new one is tiny, you can barely tell it’s there, also round and soft. I would say first one is size of a pea and the new one is the size of a small ant or sprinkle, very tiny. Anyone have experience with lipomas or maybe even cancers that started out like this? He’s been fine for a couple years so I don’t want to aspirate if nothing. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Your vet should be able to aspirate the growths and analyze the fluid. I had a golden who had multiple lipomas but one ended up not being a lipoma and it was cancer. If caught in time these cancerous growths can be surgically removed with clean margins. Unfortunately, my well seasoned vet dismissed a large growth and that was the one that was cancerous. Needless to say, I no longer use him as my dog's vet.

·
Registered
13,575 Posts
I always get any bumps and lumps checked by my vet. Especially since there is a new one and it is close to the second, I would want both aspirated, just to be safe.

Reactions: beausmom17

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I agree. I’ve had several lumpy goldens and I get ALL new lumps aspirated. I also learned the hard way that lumps near lymph nodes should be aspirated again if they grow, even if the first biopsy comes back negative. It’s a minimally invasive tests that could help you catch problems when they’re still small enough to be treated.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
My boy had a lump that I assumed was a lipoma, but asked the vet to check it anyway. It turned out to be a Mast Cell Tumor and not a benign lipoma. Definitely worth getting checked out, especially if there is another one next to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My boy had a lump that I assumed was a lipoma, but asked the vet to check it anyway. It turned out to be a Mast Cell Tumor and not a benign lipoma. Definitely worth getting checked out, especially if there is another one next to it.
How old was he? Can you tell me more about what the lump looked/felt like?

·
Registered
126 Posts
What did you do about. Mine has a couple of bumps on her bavk. One has been sapirated, the other, I need to make an appoint ment with the vet. They both feel hadr, not soft.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
What did you do about. Mine has a couple of bumps on her bavk. One has been sapirated, the other, I need to make an appoint ment with the vet. They both feel hadr, not soft.
When the mast cell tumor was diagnosed from the aspiration, we scheduled him for surgery as soon as we could. They were able to remove the entire tumor and get clean margins, thankfully.

It’s always worth getting lumps and bumps checked out. My dog was only 4 years old at the time, so I really didn’t expect it to be cancer.

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
How old was he? Can you tell me more about what the lump looked/felt like?
He was four years old, so I was completely surprised. His was under the skin, so I couldn’t see it. It wasn’t mushy, but wasn’t terribly hard either. I’ve felt fatty tumors like lipomas before and it felt pretty similar, so I just kept an eye on it until we went to our regular vet appointment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He was four years old, so I was completely surprised. His was under the skin, so I couldn’t see it. It wasn’t mushy, but wasn’t terribly hard either. I’ve felt fatty tumors like lipomas before and it felt pretty similar, so I just kept an eye on it until we went to our regular vet appointment.
Okay, thank you for letting me know! About how big was it/was it moveable under the skin or attached to the body? I promise these are my last questions 😊

·
Super Moderator
1,528 Posts
You’re welcome! It was about the size of a dime, maybe a little smaller. It was pretty anchored, if memory serves.

Reactions: beausmom17

·
Registered
126 Posts
When the mast cell tumor was diagnosed from the aspiration, we scheduled him for surgery as soon as we could. They were able to remove the entire tumor and get clean margins, thankfully.

It’s always worth getting lumps and bumps checked out. My dog was only 4 years old at the time, so I really didn’t expect it to be cancer.
tks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.