Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed that while my golden, Casey, was around the house he went to not run but kinda fast walk to get one of his toys. I noticed that he was limping on his front left leg. The thing is he's not showing any signs of discomfort. He's still running around like a 2 year old, jumping on and off the couch and bed with no signs of problems. When he lays down for long periods of time he'll limp when he walks but after about 2 minutes of walking around it goes away. He is still limping when he runs and goes any faster then a walk, but like i said he doesn't seem to be in any pain. I moved his leg in different ways and put some pressure on his shoulder and all over his leg to see if I could get a reaction but I got nothing. The day before he started limping he was at the vet because he was obsessively licking his back right paw and would want to sit every few steps on his walk. The vet said it was a splinter and removed it and he's been fine ever since. We are on vacation in Pennsylvania at the moment but we are heading home tomorrow and plan on taking him to the vet ASAP. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be. Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
How old is Casey?

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Let us know what the vet says. There are tons of things that it could be... hopefully it is just some arthritis, which would likely be one of the best diagnoses. Is he on any fish oil or glucosamine? If not, I would highly consider adding it to his diet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You

That's what I'm hoping. And no he is not on anything currently. We did have to switch his dog food 2 years ago to Natural Balance because of allergies that the vet said could have been caused by the food and he hasn't had any since. But I will definitely let you know. Hopefully we can get an appointment one day this week.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I second that recommendation on checking for Lyme. My girl started limping in the front and she tested positive for Lyme- put her on Doxy for 2-3 weeks and she stopped limping. I give both my girls Glucosomine w/MSM too. Wishing him well.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Testing for TBD is a good idea.

This could also be something simple like a bruised or sore toe that will heal with time. When Joker has minor injuries like this, our vet has recommended a buffered or enteric-coated aspirin, one tablet morning and evening. That usually does the trick. But don't use aspirin if your boy is on any other NSAID.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We'll keep you posted

Thanks for the information everyone. We'll definitely ask about testing for Lyme if the vet doesn't mention it and we'll look into putting him on Glucosamine or fish oil.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Casey

How is Casey doing?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I just saw your post and hope Casey is doing OK. I always worry with limping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts