Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Lily

10K views 104 replies 26 participants last post by  Sankari 
#1 ·
Thanks for all the kind words about Lily and her derby win. She was a very good girl and basically made no mistakes, which is what it takes to win most derbies. I’ve been working on her line manners quite a bit lately and that made a big difference. Two of her littermates we’re also running. A sister was doing very well up until the last bird and ended up with a jam. A brother went out in the third series but that dog already has a Derby win and another placement.
We will be running one or two more Derby’s this fall and then probably going to the national derby championship in Sedalia Missouri. Already booked an Airbnb and I know they need a lot of help at the event.

Discussion starter · #11 · (Edited)
Congrats to you & Lily! Would love to see photos of her in action if you have any :)
I don’t know if anyone took any photos of her running or not. I know I didn’t, always leave my phone in the truck.
Plant Dog Sky Carnivore Tree

Discussion starter · #13 ·
In the open Jake head near perfect marks in the first series then crashed and burned on the land blind. Pretty much the same story in the Amateur.
Lily was in the amateur as well, I’m sure the youngest dog by far. She got the flyer and quickly than the middle stand out after a small hunt. I lined her up in the long retired to to the right. It was down a fairly steep hill, across a pond and then another 50 yards or so on a side hill. She took a great initial line as she went out of site going down the hill. Next time I saw her she was back at the Middle bird so I called her in. Then I noticed she had a bird. I wasn’t too happy about that, it should not of been there and it rewarded her for switching. Found out when I got back to the gallery that she had fallen going downhill, did a couple somersaults. When she stood up she saw the stand out gun and took off running 90° off her original line. She had not intended to switch and would’ve likely got the bird that she not fallen. Glad she was not hurt glad she was being good.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
So far there are two of Lily's litter going to the Derby National. Another is qualified and might go. A fourth is in a derby tomorrow and again the next weekend. If she qualifies there could be 4 out of the litter of 7 running. The other 3 have not entered any derbies.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Scary about the somersaults! Glad she wasn't hurt.
Kind of glad I couldn't see it. She runs fast and reckless every time. As soon as she sees water she launches herself. Why wait to get to the shore? It's all very stylish and entertaining but worrisome as well.

Reactions: Ivyacres
Discussion starter · #27 ·
Lily, Jake, Mrs. W and I arrived in North Texas last Friday. A couple good training days already and we will get some water work in this week, upper 70's predicted.
The first trial down here is the PRTA March 3-5. Entered Jake in the Am and Lily in the Derby, Q and Am. If anyone here admitted to triple staking a derby dog I say they were stupid, and I'd be right. Lily's grandma is here and will probably scold me.
I debated on entering the Q, it is on a Friday and will be the only thing we do that day. There is also a big yellow lab named Kibo entered that I want to watch. Saw him run a derby last year and he is a character. A good dog and just hilarious to watch. I hope to get a video of him to post.

Obviously our goal is also to win, everything.
I decided to enter Lily in the Am based on recent performance in training. She is a prodigy if there ever was one, hopefully I can hold up my end.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Big entry for the PRTA
Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

I expect a tougher than average first series in every stake. That's how Jake and Lily like it. ;)

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Well Lily went out in the first series of the Q and the Am. Did not see one of the birds in the Q, not sure why. She was looking at the gun but I could tell she was confused after the shot. That's a field trial, one little thing can take you out.
The first series of the am was very tough as I expected. Lily got the birds but had a little too big of a hunt on the long retired. Worst part was she blatantly cheated water in route to 2 birds, some spankings are in her near future.

Jake did very well in the first series of the am. Second series was a double blind with a dry shot form a standout gun. A thin slice of water in route to both blinds. Jake lined the first blind and was very good on the second. One whistle in the water and one more cast 2/3rds of the way to the blind. Doesn't get much better than that. 3rd series water blind this morning. 22 dogs left out of 73 that started. Three dogs in our training group still in,including Lily's mama.

The derby ran one series yesterday afternoon. Pretty simple double with a flier. Lily did perfect, I think only 3 or 4 dogs eliminated.

I will post some photos and better explanations of the tests this week.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Have a great day! I hope the derby goes well.
When Lily cheated did she cheat both ways, or just to the bird? It is always interesting what kinds of decisions dogs make in derbies.
It was in the Am and she never got wet. Did not have to go very far to cheat but she knows better.
Out in the 3rd of the derby. Very tough memory mark. Only one dog got it without a hunt.
Lily got the birds but to big of a hunt. Her brother is in the color if he has a good 4th series.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Sorry to hear about Lily cheating the water... 😔 Could she just have had an off day?
She was just trying to get there faster, which she did. It surprised me because she doesn't cheat often and had been making very good decisions in training.
I entered her in a Q a couple weeks from now, and that will be the only stake I enter her in. and we are going to work on some water drills this morning.

Jake picked up the poison bird on the water blind. It was a tough blind with the poison bird on a point the dogs had to cross down wind of it.
We will be working on that the next couple weeks too.

No videos, hard to do at a trial. I have photos of most of the tests and I will post and explain them.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Sorry to hear Jake got tripped up by the poison bird 🙁 but poison birds are a slightly more advanced skill set if I understand correctly..?
It is an advanced concept and other factors can make it even more difficult. I'll post a photo and detailed explanation this week.

PARENTAL GUIDANCE SUGGESTED
I ran a poison bird blind with Jake today. He held a great line to the blind and stopped perfectly to whistle facing me on the right edge of a mound past the poison bird. I gave him a Right Back cast, he turned right but spun 270 degrees and tried to sneak around the mound and back to the poison bird. I have known him since he was 7 weeks old and anticipated this type of deviousness. I had turned the e collar transmitter up to level 7, because there is no level 8. When he came around the mound I whistled, he stopped and I gave him a high 7 burn for several seconds. Guess what? He never made a sound, because he knew he deserved it and knew it was coming but chose to try it anyway. Next I gave him an over cast back to the right side of the mound and stopped him where he was before, then another Right Back cast and, miraculously, he took it all the way to the blind.

For anyone reading; pressure on blinds is a very tricky thing and pressure (especially collar pressure) on poison birds is even trickier. You have to be absolutely certain of the dogs intent. Jake lack of reaction to such a high level of correction proved beyond doubt his intent. We will continue to work on it and there will always be a clear path to success that I hope he chooses. It really does hurt me more than it hurts him.
With young and inexperienced retrievers almost no pressure should be used in teaching blind retrieves. As Rexx Carr said, "Train for momentum, precision will follow".

After the poison bird blind we ran 4 more blinds in a different area. Three water blind and one one all land. Jake and Lily both did very well, only a couple minor corrections for not taking good casts into the wind.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sankari
Discussion starter · #51 ·
This is the 3rd series of the PRTA derby. Both marks thrown left, long mark first then the shot mark.
Photo is taken from a mound behind the line, which is just in front and left of the holding blind. Wind is at the handlers back.
I would guess the long mark was 250-275 yards. The most difficult factor of the long mark is that it is thrown across the water on the upper end of the pond, distance amplifies that factor. There is a patch of tules that the mark is thrown past an several yards deep of. This also proved to be difficult for the dogs to figure out.
29 dogs ran this test and only 12 were called back. Of those 12, only one got the long mark without a hunt and that dog was picked up in the next series when it was going back to an old fall.
Most of the pups hunted behind the long gun, some eventually figured it out, some did not.
Lily's trouble started at the line, she did not watch the long bird al the way to the ground. She is normally very good about that but the excitement of the event compounded by an idiot that triple staked her was just too much.
She got the short bird fine and I took plenty of time trying to pull her to the left before sending on the long bird. She drifted behind the gun but quickly hooked around and crossed the water and hunted behind the tules but not quite deep enough. She went back across and hunted by the gun again before returning and getting a few yards deeper and finding the bird.
This was a very good and challenging mark. We will get back over there some day soon whit the same wind and run it again.

Sky Plant Cloud People in nature Natural landscape

Discussion starter · #54 ·
Lily's green JAM ribbon in the Q last weekend was due to cheating water in the last series. She has no aversion to water but knows there is a faster route, "speed cheat" is how many describe it. The problem is it throws a dog off course and often results in a hunt on the mark. Also, taking the most direct routes is always preferred. I think we had a chance at blue or red coming into the 4th.
We worked on one cheaty water mark yesterday and will every day this week.
The mark yesterday was very black and white and ran as a single. The bird was thrown into the water along the far shore of a pond for a nice splash. The direct route was clearly through the pond. The fast route was clearly around it by land. Lily chose the faster route. I let her get halfway around the pond, stopped her with the whistle, then no no here with continuous collar pressure as she came back around the shore. In this case I brought her all the way back to the line and had the mark thrown again. The second time she chose wisely and took the wet route.
In some cases I will just call the dog back to the point where they deviated from the correct route, then stop and cast. Calling a dog back off a mark is pressure and the collar is obviously pressure. Calling a dog all the way back is more pressure than calling in part way and casting.
Lily has no issues with low drive or enthusiasm, quite the opposite. If that were not the case I might handle it differently.
The level of collar pressure to use in a situation like this is important. Lily did it correctly on the second send. I got the correct response, indicating that the correct amount of pressure was used. If she had chosen to run the shore again it would have indicated too little pressure was used and she thought it was worth it to try again.
Too much pressure will make a dog nervous on the line, not wanting to look out in the field, possibly no-go on the send, lose confidence.....
IMO, it is also important to call the dog back calmly, not angrily. We work on this in basic yard work, no-no drills. Lily was being a bit naughty but collar pressure and being called back in was plenty of pressure. Just a calm 'no-no here' was enough verbal. Nothing damages confidence and enthusiasm more than harsh verbal correction. Save that for the times they are really naughty.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
4th series of the Am last weekend.
17 dogs called back
6 completed this test without being handled
I think 6 were handled and 5 had to be picked up. The short retired on the right was the most difficult mark for the majority of dogs. Some swung off to the flier and did not watch it.

Jake was near perfect in this test.
Sky Cloud Water Plant Natural landscape

Discussion starter · #59 ·
So on R2 ... I presume most handlers tried to get it second ... did the dogs generally take too much water, which put them wide left when they got out of the water, then end up at R1 or get handled to R2?
Yes, most handlers tried to select R2 second. Some dogs disagreed and went to R1 instead.
Several dogs head swung to the flier after R1 was thrown and did not see the R2 throw.
There were a few that got wide in the water going to R2 and either ended up at R1 or just split the difference, went deep and never recovered.
R2 was also a hen pheasant which added to the difficulty. There were dogs that cruised past and just didn't get a whiff of it. One of the dogs that got a JAM had an extended hunt right between the gun and the mark, just would not circle out a few more feet to the bird and was finally handled to it. Another dog popped when it winded the R2 gunner?
A couple had trouble with the long retired, hunted short.
It was an interesting test.
Or did the dogs fall off the dam and end up too far to the right of R2, which put them upwind of the bird (I could also see some dogs checking down short when en route to R2 and decide to start hunting in the row of trees)? [That's a real skinny entry to get them to go straight on R2.]
Oddly enough, only one dog did that, and it was the landowners.
I think that dog and the test dog were the only dogs to cheat water on R2.
I was going to run Lily as bye dog and wanted to see how she would handle that mark but the last handler picked up.

Reactions: FTGoldens
Discussion starter · #60 ·
Good job Jake! 💪🏽😊 It's just odd because this thread was titled Lily.. so I was thinking I was going to read something about her... Not that she's not amazing, but it's good to hear about Jake! 😀
Tough as the Q was, I kind of wish I had entered her in the am instead.

• Love
Reactions: Sankari
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Just found this video. We ran this trial, Lily had a hunt in the first and was not called back. Jake got Reserve JAM.
The land blind was actually fairly simple. I am surprised this dog was called back after this, must have had very good marks in the 1st.

Discussion starter · #63 ·
This is a constant struggle with Bobby, she hears the whistle stops and slowly turns and sits. Drives me nuts!
Lots of retrievers need "continuing education" to maintain a quick sit. I like to do much of it separate from field training,

Discussion starter · #64 ·
This is the 3rd series water blind. It was tougher than the land blind.
Just past the 1 minute mark the dog crosses the first piece of water and gets to the sliver of land to the right of the sluice gunner. You can see the dog go into a brief hunt before the handler whistles and casts. This is because the judges instructed the gunner to pick feathers from a duck and scatter them there. That is actually a rule violation. I don't have a problem with it but they could have dragged a bag of wet birds around, it is just as effective and not a rule violation.

Discussion starter · #66 ·
This was the 4th series of the Red River Am in Texas. A nice test, wide open triple, flier on the left, long retired in the center and a short retired hen pheasant on the right, all marks thrown to the left. Wind was from about 4 o'clock when standing at the line.
I remember watching this dog run. He cheated the water in route to the short retired but seemed to remember the mark. Then he popped just several feet upwind of the bird??? The dog should have been handled immediately after the pop. A long pop is worse and then you have to handle anyway. Very easy mistake to make and you are probably already getting green at best anyway.
The short retired was the most difficult for most dogs but the long retired got some answers as well.

Jake did a really nice job on this test.